Hānaiakamalama was the summer home of Queen Emma. John Young II (Keoni Ana) bought it in 1850 and named the home “Hānaiakamalama” (after a favorite family homestead in Kawaihae.) Queen Emma inherited it from her uncle, John Young II, in 1857.
Later, the Water Works was looking to use the site for filter beds for the water system. The water works plan waned and thoughts of a park at the site were considered. Hānaiakamalama was saved from demolition by the Daughters of Hawaiʻi. Today, Hānaiakamalama is open to the public with docent-guided tours.