Images of Old Hawaiʻi

  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Ali’i / Chiefs / Governance
    • American Protestant Mission
    • Buildings
    • Collections
    • Economy
    • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
    • General
    • Hawaiian Traditions
    • Other Summaries
    • Mayflower Summaries
    • Mayflower Full Summaries
    • Military
    • Place Names
    • Prominent People
    • Schools
    • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
    • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Collections
  • Contact
  • Follow

September 23, 2016 by Peter T Young 4 Comments

Riverside School

The Wailuku is the longest river in Hilo (twenty-six miles.) Its course runs from the mountains to the ocean along the divide between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.

Waiānuenue Avenue (rainbow (seen in) water) is named for the most famous waterfall, Ka Wailele ʻO Waiānuenue, Rainbow Falls on the Wailuku River.

For a while, other than church-related schools, if a Big Island youngster wanted to pursue his education beyond the eighth grade, he had to travel to O‘ahu. There he would board and go to school. (HHS)

Then, “One of the largest gatherings that ever attended a mass meeting in Hilo was present at Fireman’s Hall Thursday night to express to Superintendent of Public Instruction WH Babbitt their views regarding a high school site and other school matters.”

“The atmosphere of the hall was fairly charged with incipient trouble, which later broke into a storm of words and bitterness.”

“Chairman Mason called for expressions of opinion upon the subject under discussion. There was a dead silence for an interval, when LA Andrews started the ball rolling, by stating there were two things upon which there was a unanimity of sentiment in Hilo.”

“The first was the necessity for a high school in Hilo and the second the selection of the Riverside lot as the high school site. TJ Ryan offered a resolution, which passed without opposition …”

“… stating that it was the sense of the meeting that the high school should be erected on the Riverside lot.” (Hilo Tribune, December 12, 1905)

“After considering the various sites suggested, the committee practically determined on the lot on which now stands the Riverside School.”

“The present lot is not quite large enough to accommodate both the Riverside and the High Schools, which latter will be a nine-room building, and if a portion of the hospital grounds can be secured, the mauka portion of the Riverside lot will be used for High School purposes. (Hilo Tribune, June 29, 1905)

School authorities hesitated but finally agreed to start a high school at Hilo Union School in September, 1905; 25 ninth-grade students attended high school at Hilo Union School.

In 1907, the school moved to the Riverside School. It was then called Hilo Junior High School. By the time the first class graduated in 1909, only 7 of the original 25 were left.

Hilo High’s first graduating class consisted of seven students in 1909: Richard Kekoa, Amy Williams, Eliza Desha, Frank Arakawa, John Kennedy, Annie Napier and Herbert Westerbelt. (Mangiboyat)

With limitations for space, in 1911, “(t)he bandstand at Moʻoheau Park has been converted into a schoolroom by the county fathers, on account of the fact that the accommodations at the Riverside School are inadequate and the County has no funds at present with which to build an addition.” (Hawaiian Star, February 27, 1911)

“This class formerly occupied the basement of the Riverside building and it was so damp in the present weather that it was thought best to make the change.” (Hawaiian Star, February 27, 1911)

Finally in 1922, Hilo Junior High School moved up Waianuenue Avenue and renamed to the permanent and present Hilo High Campus. As years passed, the campus flourished with more buildings, students and educational experience. (Mangiboyat)

Hilo High Auditorium was built in 1928. It was donated to the school by the Alumni Association. It was designed by a former student (and part of the first graduates) of Hilo High School, Frank Arakawa.

Riverside got its school site. In the early 1920s, American-born parents called for the development of separate education for their children.

Consequently, the development of “English Standard” schools, sometimes called “Select Schools” since a level of proficiency in English language was required.

While most of the people who attended the schools were of American-born parents, anyone with the ability to speak proper English was allowed to attend. 1925 marked the beginning of segregating students by ability to speak and write English.

In 1927, a Parent-Teacher group in Hilo petitioned the legislature for funds to construct a new English Standard school which had an attendance of 169 children sharing facilities with Hilo Union School.

Just before its opening in 1929, the Hilo Tribune Herald reported: “It is a one-story frame building with Spanish type arched porches and when complete will be one of the most attractive school buildings on the island.”

By 1948, English Standard sections in various schools were replacing separate schools as the next generation of immigrant children became proficient in English. In 1955, two rooms were added to the original E-shaped structure.

In 1956, the porte cochère, or covered drive-through/passenger drop-off, was constructed. A garage driveway was also added in 1956. Riverside became the Hilo District Office for the Department of Education in 1959. (HHF)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Riverside School-NPS
Riverside School-NPS
Riverside School-DOE District Annex
Riverside School-DOE District Annex
Riverside School-HHF
Riverside School-HHF
Riverside School-HHF
Riverside School-HHF
1st grade Riverside School-Hagar
1st grade Riverside School-Hagar
1st grade Riverside School-Hagar
1st grade Riverside School-Hagar
Riverside School (future Hilo High class of 1960) - Hagar
Riverside School (future Hilo High class of 1960) – Hagar

Filed Under: Schools Tagged With: Hilo High, Riverside School, Hilo Union, Hawaii, Hawaii Island, Hilo

September 14, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

McKinley Memorial Fund

William McKinley was the 25th President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1897, until his assassination on September 14, 1901. (He was standing in a receiving line at the Buffalo Pan-American Exposition when he was shot; he died eight days later.)

Born in Niles, Ohio, in 1843, McKinley briefly attended Allegheny College, and was teaching in a country school when the Civil War broke out. Enlisting as a private in the Union Army, he was mustered out at the end of the war as a brevet major of volunteers. He studied law, opened an office in Canton, Ohio, and married Ida Saxton, daughter of a local banker.

At 34, McKinley won a seat in Congress. He spent 14 years in the House and in 1891 was elected Governor of Ohio, serving two terms. McKinley became US President in 1897. (White House) Following his assassination, “Steps were at once taken toward raising funds for the erection of a suitable memorial”.

In Ohio, “within a month from the date of its creation the committee was incorporated at Canton under the name The McKinley National Memorial Association.” Auxiliary associations were formed in nearly every State for the purpose of aiding the National body.

“The memorial is to be, in the highest sense, the sincere expression of all the people of the country of their love for President McKinley and of their admiration for the qualities expressed so eminently in his life and deeds.” (New York Tribune, September 14, 1902)

A fund was started in the Islands. “An engraved or lithographed memorial certificate will be furnished to each contributor. It is believed that the project of erecting a local memorial to Mr McKinley …”

“… if carried out by all classes of the Hawaiian population, and participated in by the school children, will tend to develop patriotism and go to strengthen the interest of our people in American Institutions and principles.”

“It is desirable that the names of all donors with their addresses and the amount of their contributions be accurately reported and recorded by the chairman of your committee, who will forward such record of contributions to the Treasurer, Mr. C. M. Cooke, and he will mail the above mentioned certificate to the donor.” (Dole; Hawaiian Star, November 22, 1901)

Ideas ranged as to the appropriate memorial, “The McKinley memorial fund (had) been started in Honolulu with four subscriptions of $1,000 each and half a dozen more aggregating $2,000, a total of $6,060 from ten subscribers. The money is to be used for the purchase of a large playground for children.” (San Francisco Call, March 6, 1902)

“A letter has been received by the executive committee from the Mothers and Teachers Club in reference to the McKinley Memorial. … Accompanying the letter was a petition to the effect that the McKinley Memorial take the form of a large park somewhere in Honolulu, to be known as McKinley Park.”

“Sculptor Rupert Schmidt is desirous of providing Honolulu with a McKinley monument. Other propositions in this line have been received and will be considered.” (Honolulu Republican, November 14, 1901)

“The committee in charge of the McKinley memorial fund In Hawaii has decided in favor of a public park and playground as the best form of memorial.” (San Francisco Call, January 7, 1902)

On Maui, where “few will refuse to contribute something … Naturally the people and the papers of Honolulu desire to see their town embellished with parks, pleasure grounds and public buildings, but the proposition to take advantage of the death of President McKinley to levy on all the Islands for that purpose smacks a little of selfish thrift.”

“However if the idea is to be practical, let it be so, but instead of a play garden in Honolulu, let the funds be devoted to the construction of a lighthouse for Kahului harbor, which would forever stand as a beacon and a memorial of the most practical and useful nature possible.” (Maui News, November 30, 1901)

Back on O‘ahu, “For making an actual beginning … of beautifying Honolulu, herewith something definite, practicable and not excessively costly is presented. It is the improvement of the presently disused public market building, including its transformation into a great assembly pavilion useful …”

“… and even much wanted for many purposes of the people at large the structure as remodeled to be perpetually dedicated to the memory of the martyred President William McKinley, under whose administration Hawai‘i was annexed to the great American Commonwealth.” (Pacific Commercial Advertiser, November 13, 1907) (Included was a memorial entrance arch.)

Rather, “The corner-stone of the new Honolulu High School which is to be the beneficiary of the McKinley Memorial fund and take the name of the McKinley High School was laid yesterday afternoon by the Alumni of the school assisted by a large assembly of friends and pupils of the Institution.”

“A very important incident of the function was the announcement by Judge Dole, who was one of the principal speakers, that the trustees of the McKinley Memorial Fund had voted to devote the memorial funds to the High School. The terms of the gift are contained in the following resolution, which Mr. Dole read:”

“‘Resolved, That the proposal of the Board of Education and the students of the Honolulu High School that the new building of the Honolulu High School be named the McKinley High School be accepted …’”

“‘… and in consideration thereof that a bronze statue of the late President McKinley, costing not more than $9,000 be erected on the grounds of such school and that the balance of the funds in the hands of this committee be assigned to three trustees …’”

“‘… $1,000 of such funds to be expended in books for the school library and the net Income of the balance of such trust funds to be devoted to the increase, and care of the library of such school and the care of the statue.’”(Evening Bulletin, March 6, 1908)

Later, “A very marked improvement has been attained in the architecture of buildings recently erected in Hawai‘i and the school-houses, constructed within the last few years, have kept pace with the movement. This is notably true of the imposing McKinley High School, a building which compares most favorably with any of its kind in the world.”

“The McKinley High School is located on Victoria street, occupying the grounds between Young and Beretania, and facing historical Thomas Square. The foyer entrance is very attractive and through either of two doors the visitor steps directly into the main hall.”

“A part of the McKinley Memorial Fund has been expended for an heroic size statue of President McKinley, which will stand in front of the building, a part in purchasing books for the library and the Trustees have invested the balance of the fund in bonds, the income to be utilized in acquiring additions to the school library from time to time.” (Thrum, 1908)

“The Bulletin extends its congratulations to those who have interested themselves in solving the problem of the memorial and the Territory, whose present and future citizenship will profit by the example of the man and the practical equipment for life’s, work which the community has given in his name.” (Evening Bulletin, March 6, 1908)

In September 1907, the McKinley Memorial in Canton, Ohio was finished; 9-states had contributed material for the memorial, a 50-foot wide, 77-foot tall domed structure. At the top of the dome is a red, white and blue skylight. The skylight has 45-stars in its design representing the 45-states in the Union at the time of his death.

President McKinley and his wife Ida rest in the monument on an altar in the center of the rotunda in a pair of marble sarcophagi. Their young daughters rest in the wall directly behind them. (McKinley Museum)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

McKinley_Statue-McKinley_High_School
McKinley_Statue-McKinley_High_School
William_McKinley_by_Courtney_Art_Studio,_1896
William_McKinley_by_Courtney_Art_Studio,_1896
McKinley_National_Memorial-Canton,_Ohio
McKinley_National_Memorial-Canton,_Ohio
McKinley Memorial Arch at Public Market-McKinley Memorial Fund-PCA-Nov_13,_1907
McKinley Memorial Arch at Public Market-McKinley Memorial Fund-PCA-Nov_13,_1907

Filed Under: Schools, Buildings, Prominent People Tagged With: Hawaii, McKinley High School, Honolulu High School, McKinley Memorial Fund, William McMinley

September 1, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Hanahauʻoli

George Paul Cooke (grandson of missionaries Amos Starr and Juliette Montague Cooke, son of Charles Montague Cooke and Anna Charlotte (Rice) Cooke) and his wife Sophie Boyd Judd (granddaughter of missionaries Gerrit Parmele Judd and Laura Fish Judd, daughter of Albert Francis Judd and Agnes Hall Judd) started Hanahauʻoli School.

Hanahauʻoli (happy, joyous work) was a dream realized for George and Sophie Cooke in 1918, for their six children and those of many of their friend (it started with 16 children from ages 6 to 11 years old.)

It was a small school, from kindergarten through sixth grade where all the children cooperated as in a large family; it’s in the same location on the corner of Nowewehi (now Nehoa) and Makiki street.

Two small buildings surrounded by a lawn dotted with kiawe trees, a jungle gym and working gardens were the backdrop for shop, art, French and music, in addition to the more ‘traditional’ subjects.

An old bronze hand bell is rung to start and end the day. (The first bell was bought in 1914 by Sophie and her mother in Florence, Italy. The bell was first used to call the Cooke children from their play at Molokai Ranch.)

There long-held traditions (events and ‘rituals,’) most from the earliest days of the school, that help to build a strong social foundation for children who learn what it means to plan and look forward to experiences that have held meaning for generations.

These include, Makahiki, a celebration of thanksgiving; the Holiday Program and tree cutting; the 6th grade odyssey that includes stepping stone making; oratories and Olympics; morning flag; the Head of School handshaking at the end of the day and the slipper toss.

Makahiki started in 1932; the children were studying ancient Hawaiians and making Kapas (that they wore for the first time at Makahiki.) In addition, there were games in the school courtyard.

The first stepping stone day was in 1926; shop teacher, Mrs AA Wilson initially used wood for the frames to make the Stepping Stone, but now they use Styrofoam – students carve their designs, representing their personal “enthusiasms” and memories.

Slipper toss, started in the 1990s, is held on the last day of school every year in the courtyard to wish everyone a good summer. (“In case someone has the same slipper as you and for safety we only throw one slipper.”)

Former Principal Mary Ray Pohl Kahanamoku began Birthday Books (“it’s a way to celebrate a child’s birthday and at the same time to give a book to the Hanahauʻoli Library. A student gets to choose a book, then they make a fancy bookplate and put it in the book.”)

The Childrens’ Fair started as Hanahauʻoli Festival (it began 1920s.) In the beginning, the children did all the work, children made all the crafts they sold at the fairs (the 1933 fair raised $21.80 for the school.) Now there are “rides and games and lots more things, we have crafts that children can make at the fair to take home.”

Tree cutting got started because children at Hanahauʻoli used to get their Christmas trees from the Territorial Nursery in Makiki Valley. Later, they planted a Norfolk pine tree by the courtyard and when it got big enough they cut it down but left part of the trunk so another tree can grow for another Christmas. (They soon began growing more trees for future supply.)

Oratories started in 1963. “They use to tell stories and poems now they only tell Greek myths. … 6th graders get to choose which myth they want to present. They present their myths in the music room and people come in small groups to watch them.”

Graduation started in 1920 at the pavilion (back in 1918, only two students would be graduating.) Graduates got orange and white crepe paper lei they had to make themselves; now they’re made of orange and white ribbon.

Still a small school for 208-children from Junior Kindergarten through 6th grade, children are now in multi-age classes that acknowledge individual growth and developmental readiness.

Small wood frame buildings that opened out to play areas are now state of the art classrooms with 21st century technology built in, yet they still open to outdoor work and play areas that honor Hawai`i climate and complement project-based programs.

The 2.5-acre campus has facilities including classrooms for JK and 6th grade and multiage classrooms with homegroup learning spaces for K/1, 2/3 and 4/5; classrooms for each of 5 specialty areas, a library containing 15,000-volumes, Gym, playing field with climbing structure and outdoor hard court surface area.

Similar to the early days, there is a low faculty-student ratio and the curriculum remains true to the belief that disciplines are not separate and that learning integrates school life with the home and world. And, the traditions, events and ‘rituals’ continue. (Lots of information here is from Hanahauʻoli, including quotes from former students.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hanahauoli-First_Buildings-1921-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli-First_Buildings-1921-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli-Makahiki-1942-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli-Makahiki-1942-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli-Bell-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli-Bell-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli_Stepping_Stones_Day-1960-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli_Stepping_Stones_Day-1960-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli_Fair-1920s-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli_Fair-1920s-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli_Central_Courtyard-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli-new_building-2009-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli-new_building-2009-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli_Slipper_Toss-(hanahauoli)
Hanahauoli_Slipper_Toss-(hanahauoli)

Filed Under: Schools Tagged With: Hawaii, Oahu, Hanahauoli, George Paul Cooke

June 21, 2016 by Peter T Young 7 Comments

English Standard School

‘One of the most potent factoid in this reorganization movement’ was the US Bureau of Education’s 1918 publication, the ‘Cardinal Principles of Secondary Education.’ Drafted by a commission of the National Education Association, it served as a kind of low-key national manifesto of the educational ideas of Dewey, Bode, and Kilpatrick. (Cary; Forbes)

In a democracy, it stated, the purpose of education should be to “develop in each individual the knowledge, interests, ideals, habits, and powers whereby he will find his place and use that place to shape both himself and society toward ever nobler ends.’

The ‘Seven Cardinal Principles’ were: 1. Health; 2. Command of fundamental processes; 3. Worthy home-membership; 4. Vocation; 5. Citizenship, 6. Worthy use of leisure; and 7. Ethical character. (Forbes)

Experience in Hawai‘i and elsewhere seems to indicate that, if they are able to, many parents will go to great lengths to provide their children with what they view as the ‘best’ education.

In the 1820s the missionaries in Hawai‘i sent their children on a six-month trip to New England at an early age because of the lack of Western educational opportunities and their unwillingness to have their children come into contact with Hawaiian children. (Hughes)

Compulsory education had been in effect since 1835 in Hawai’i, and educators in the kingdom and then the territory were proud of their record of universal education. (Hughes)

By 1850, English had become the medium of instruction in the Royal School, and was the language of business, diplomacy and, to a considerable extent, of government itself, but it was not until 1854 that the Hawaiian legislature officially authorized the establishment of a few classes in English for Hawaiians.

Provision was also made for the establishment of special school boards, empowered to set up English ‘select’ schools when suitable quarters had been acquired and a fund of $400 locally subscribed. (LRB)

Starting in approximately 1852 when Hawai‘i was a kingdom, the sugar planters and the Hawaiian government began importing laborers from Asia. In 1879, the importation spread to include Europe.

These laborers came for a limited period of time with the expectation on the part of the employer and the laborer that the workers would return to their country of origin at the end of the contract. For a variety of reasons, growing numbers of these laborers remained in Hawai’i after their initial contract had ended. (Hughes)

At time of annexation, there were 140 public schools, including industrial schools at Lahaina and Hilo, 55 private schools (including one Japanese school.)

As the children of the plantation workers came of school age they were required to attend public school and they rapidly increased the school population. Thus, a 1920 federal survey claimed that only 2-3 percent of the children entering the public schools at age six or seven could speak English. (Hughes)

`Through the 1920s, more than half of the high school students in the Territory attended McKinley High School. Among its 1929 student body of 2,339, nearly one of ten students was (Caucasian) … 43% were of Japanese ancestry and 20% of Chinese parentage. Eleven percent … were Hawaiian or part-Hawaiian and 4 percent were Portuguese’. (Manicas)

In the entire territory there were four high schools: McKinley (the former Honolulu High School;) Hilo, established in 1905; Maui (1913;) and Kauai (1914). The Territory had a proportionally smaller high-school enrollment than any of the forty-eight states, Puerto Rico or the Canal Zone.

In the early 1920s, an experiment had been made by the Central Grammar School of Honolulu in restricting enrollment on the basis of an oral English examination. It was a ‘select school’ for English-speaking children only.

The pressure of the growing Caucasian group and other parents concerned with the problem brought matters to a head. Public meetings were held, and the pros and cons heatedly debated. (LRB)

The prevailing view was that such schools were not proposed for Caucasians alone, or even for children of English-speaking homes, but were for children of all racial groups whose English was such as to justify homogeneity in organization. (LRB)

In 1924, the Department of Public Instruction established the policy of setting aside certain schools where admission was based upon ability to speak and use the English language. The first of these schools was Lincoln, in Honolulu.

When the upper grades of this school became the nucleus of Roosevelt Junior High School, the English standard plan was carried over to that institution. (LRB)

The English Standard system (patterned after the American standard school system) was established in 1924; this required students to pass an oral English entrance exam before being admitted.

Roosevelt was initially composed of grades seven to eleven and housed in temporary quarters in an old, Normal School building that formerly trained teachers for Hawai‘i’s public schools.

In 1937, the seventh, eighth, and ninth grades were permanently removed to the Normal School building, reorganized as an intermediate school, and Roosevelt High remained as a school for tenth and eleventh graders until 1939 when it became a three year high school . (NPS)

At that time, over 80% of children of Japanese descent were in some 175 Japanese language schools. These began instruction after the public school day ended. There were, in addition, 14 Chinese language schools and 10 Korean language schools. These numbered some 40,000 altogether. (Manicas)

After the war, the trend was toward the increase in number of the English standard section, designed to convert eventually all schools to the English standard. (LRB)

From the outset, the plan was that the English standard system would be an interim measure, one designed to last until the majority of children in the public system spoke English as their native language, presumably one generation.

The primary articulated goal was to ensure that the children of English-speaking parents were provided an education in which they were not held back in English and other subjects because of the presence of non-English-speaking children.

In 1941 a citizen’s group conducted a study of the school system and included in its report several comparisons between English standard and district school pupils. In every case the English standard children performed better academically than did the non-English standard children. (Hughes)

In 1949 the legislature passed Act 227, which ordered the Department of public Instruction to: “raise the standards of all public schools to the level of the English Standard system and to provide for the transition from the dual to the single standard system starting in September 1949”. It lasted until the early-1960s in some places.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Roosevelt High School
Roosevelt High School

Filed Under: Schools Tagged With: Hawaii, Education, English Standard

April 8, 2016 by Peter T Young 2 Comments

‘Pāʻia High School’

“Because of the fact that there is no site available for the proposed high school at Paia, Maui, the building of which was authorized by the last legislature, it was decided at the meeting of the school commissioners yesterday afternoon that the school will have to be located elsewhere on the Valley Isle, although no definite site was named.”

“When built, however, the school will bear the name of the Pāʻia high school in keeping with the order of the legislature.” (Star Bulletin, June 27, 1913)

“It was at first thought that the school would be located at Pāʻia, but there was difficulty in securing a good site there. The Hāmākuapoko location is an ideal one and the people of Maui are lucky in getting such a fine site for their High School.”

“The county will build the school and the structure will be an up-to-date one. The Department of Public Instructions provides three teachers, and it will be up to the people of Maui to pay the salary of a fourth instructor.” (Maui News, July 5, 1913)

“There will be no tuition charged for admission, although this was the first plan. It is expected that the school will open with some thirty-five pupils in September in the upper department and many more in the school as a whole.” (Star-Bulletin, July 14, 1913)

Maui’s first co-educational high school opened in 1913 in a small frame building at Hāmākuapoko, close to bustling Pāʻia town and near the large plantation camps of East Maui. (OMHS) (It was known as Pāʻia High School, Maui High & Grammar School and, more commonly, Maui High School – now, Old Maui High School.)

When Maui High School was founded, the island was a rural community of some 32,000, mostly immigrants working in cane fields and sugar mills. Education was available only through grammar school, though boys could continue into their teen years at Lahainaluna, then a vocational-trade school.

The upper classes hired tutors, or sent their children to Punahou on O‘ahu or to the Mainland for secondary education. But a growing Caucasian middle class wanted their children educated at home. (Engledow)

“The school is answering a long-felt need on Maui. The basis for admission is a good knowledge of English. Heretofore it was impossible for pupils that spoke English at home to get the full attention they needed at various Maui schools, where the students were held back more or less by those who did not know English.”

“This was the condition everywhere in spite of the most earnest efforts of principals and assistants to have the condition otherwise.” (Star-Bulletin, October 6, 1913)

“The special train that the Kahului Railroad Company put on for carrying the pupils to that school is a very great convenience, for now the boys and girls can leave Wailuku as late as 8:30 and still arrive in time for the school work at the usual hour. This train is patronized by the pupils along the line of the railroad. The children near by come by other conveyance.” (Star-Bulletin, October 6, 1913)

Over the years, the campus expanded to 17,000 square feet along with the enrollment. (EPA) Noted Hawaiʻi architect Charles W. Dickey was chosen to design a large and inspiring school building, taking advantage of the site’s climate, landscape and views. In 1921 the concrete, mission-style administration and classroom building was opened.

Many more classrooms were added to the 24-acre campus, as well as teachers’ cottages, a gymnasium, an agricultural complex, athletic fields and a cafeteria. Students came from surrounding communities, central Maui and Upcountry, often by horseback, via Kahului Railroad trains or buses, or over the well-worn footpaths from neighboring plantation camps. (OMHS)

At its peak, just before World War II, as many as 1,000-students attended Maui High, coming in from throughout central Maui, some even by train. (Napier)

But island demographics changed. Central-Maui landowner, Alexander & Baldwin, formed Kahului Development Co, Ltd (KDCo) (the predecessor of A&B Properties, Inc) to serve as a development arm of the agricultural-based entity.

This timing coincided with the sugar company’s plan to close down some plantation camps. To provide for housing for its sugar workers, as well as meet post-WWII housing demand, KDCo announced a new residential development in Central Maui, in the area we now refer to as Kahului.

“Dream City,” a planned residential community was launched and over the next couple decades 3,500+ fee simple homes were offered for sale in 14-increments of the new development.

Under this 25-year plan, Kahului quickly became one of the first and most successful planned towns west of the Rockies – and the first in Hawai‘i.

As the development proceeded, the plantation camps were closed down, one by one, according to a schedule that gave the workers and the workers unions ten years’ advance notice.

It was announced that the plantation planned to be out of the housing business within ten years of the start of the project, and February 1, 1963, was the date it was all supposed to shut down. It took a little longer than that, but the schedule was implemented pretty much as planned.

Enrollment at Maui High began to steadily decline, as plantation camps closed and families moved to modern subdivisions in central Maui.

In 1972, the present Maui High School campus opened in the Dream City of Kahului. The school is now comprised of twelve major buildings, 36 portable classrooms and several athletic facilities on 75 acres.

At the time, over 60% of the school’s student body traveled from the northeast sector, a predominantly agricultural and rural community. Central Maui students were added to the school’s population at that time. (Maui High)

A notable alum of the Old Maui High was Patsy Takemoto, a Hāmākuapoko Camp student in the class of 1944; we knew her as Patsy Mink.

She became the first Japanese-American woman to be elected to the Territorial House of Representatives, the first Asian-American woman to be elected to the US Congress, a 1972 candidate for US president (running on an anti-war platform) and the author of Title IX legislation, aka The Patsy T Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act. (Wood)

Today, the Friends of Old Maui High School are working with government and private groups to develop a preservation plan, obtain funding and eventually rehabilitate the Dickey-designed building (to become the Patsy Takemoto Mink Center.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Old_Maui_High_School-steps
Old_Maui_High_School-steps
Old Maui High School_OMHS
Old Maui High School_OMHS
Old Maui High School_aerial-OMHS
Old Maui High School_aerial-OMHS
Old_Maui_High_School-train-OMHS
Old_Maui_High_School-train-OMHS
Old_Maui_High_School_ruins-WC
Old_Maui_High_School_ruins-WC
Old_Maui_High_School_ruins_entrance
Old_Maui_High_School_ruins_entrance
Old_Maui_High_School_ruins_detail-WC
Old_Maui_High_School_ruins_detail-WC
Old Maui High School-OMHS
Old Maui High School-OMHS
Old Maui High School-plaque
Old Maui High School-plaque
Old Maui High School-sign-OMHS
Old Maui High School-sign-OMHS
Old Maui High School-aerial-OMHS
Old Maui High School-aerial-OMHS
Maui_High-Google_Earth
Maui_High-Google_Earth
Kahului-Dream_City-Master_Plan-(co-maui-hi-us)-1947
Kahului-Dream_City-Master_Plan-(co-maui-hi-us)-1947
Kahului-1950-1977-(co-maui-hi-us)
Kahului-1950-1977-(co-maui-hi-us)

Filed Under: Schools Tagged With: Hawaii, Maui, Kahului, Dream City, Maui High School, Paia, Paia High School

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • …
  • 33
  • Next Page »

Images of Old Hawaiʻi

People, places, and events in Hawaiʻi’s past come alive through text and media in “Images of Old Hawaiʻi.” These posts are informal historic summaries presented for personal, non-commercial, and educational purposes.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Connect with Us

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent Posts

  • Maunalei Sugar
  • Kapalua
  • Baptism of Kalanimōku
  • Ala Moana Center
  • Canuck
  • About 250 Years Ago … Battles of the South
  • Keʻelikōlani and Pele

Categories

  • General
  • Ali'i / Chiefs / Governance
  • Buildings
  • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
  • Hawaiian Traditions
  • Military
  • Place Names
  • Prominent People
  • Schools
  • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
  • Economy
  • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Mayflower Summaries
  • American Revolution

Tags

Albatross Al Capone Ane Keohokalole Archibald Campbell Bernice Pauahi Bishop Charles Reed Bishop Downtown Honolulu Eruption Founder's Day George Patton Great Wall of Kuakini Green Sea Turtle Hawaii Hawaii Island Hermes Hilo Holoikauaua Honolulu Isaac Davis James Robinson Kamae Kamaeokalani Kameeiamoku Kamehameha Schools Lalani Village Lava Flow Lelia Byrd Liberty Ship Liliuokalani Mao Math Mauna Loa Midway Monk Seal Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Oahu Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Pearl Pualani Mossman Quartette Thomas Jaggar Volcano Waikiki Wake Wisdom

Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hoʻokuleana LLC is a Planning and Consulting firm assisting property owners with Land Use Planning efforts, including Environmental Review, Entitlement Process, Permitting, Community Outreach, etc. We are uniquely positioned to assist you in a variety of needs.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Copyright © 2012-2024 Peter T Young, Hoʻokuleana LLC

Loading Comments...