Images of Old Hawaiʻi

  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Ali’i / Chiefs / Governance
    • American Protestant Mission
    • Buildings
    • Collections
    • Economy
    • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
    • General
    • Hawaiian Traditions
    • Other Summaries
    • Mayflower Summaries
    • Mayflower Full Summaries
    • Military
    • Place Names
    • Prominent People
    • Schools
    • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
    • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Collections
  • Contact
  • Follow

June 7, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Irrigation-enhanced Recharge

The early Polynesians brought sugar cane with them and demonstrated that it could be grown successfully in the islands. The first commercially-viable sugar plantation, Ladd and Co, was started at Kōloa on Kauai in 1835. Others followed, including on Maui.

Sugar became part of the Maui landscape. More than 30-plantations of various sizes popped up on Maui. Over time, consolidations and closures gradually reduced the number to fewer, but larger, plantations. (Sugar Museum)

Sugar is a thirsty crop; in order to irrigate, in 1876 the initial Hāmākua Ditch was built, bringing water from streams from the windward and wet East Maui. A total of ten ditches were constructed between 1879 and 1923; this system makes up what is known today as East Maui Irrigation (EMI.)

Under natural conditions, most surface water would flow to the ocean; instead, this water has been diverted and artificially applied to the plant-soil system, creating a net increase in ground-water recharge. Irrigation-enhanced recharge greatly affects the groundwater system in central Maui.

Ground water is one of Hawai‘i’s most important natural resources. It is used for drinking water, irrigation, and domestic, commercial, and industrial needs. Ground water provides about 99% of Hawai‘i’s domestic water and about 50% of all freshwater used in the State.

The amount of recharge available to enter the aquifers is the volume of rainfall, fog drip, and irrigation water that is not lost to runoff or evapotranspiration or stored in the soil. (USGS)

The period 1926–79 had the highest estimated recharge; irrigation rates during this period were at least 50% higher than in any other period considered.

Prior to the early-1970s, about 190-million gallons per day (Mgal/d) of water diverted by East Maui ditches and 170-Mgal/d of groundwater withdrawn from shafts and wells was used to irrigate sugarcane fields in central Maui.

Groundwater recharge concerns have gone from bad to worse. Overall irrigation rates have been steadily decreasing since the 1970s, when large-scale sugarcane plantations began a conversion from furrow to more efficient drip irrigation methods and a reduction in the amount of acreage dedicated to sugarcane production.

Estimated recharge for central and west Maui declined 44% during the period 1979–2004. During this period, on the leeward (Lāhainā) side of West Maui Mountain, sugarcane cultivation ceased altogether.

The decrease in irrigation has coincided recently with periods of below-average rainfall, creating the potential for substantially reduced recharge rates in many areas. (USGS)

The period 2000–04 had the lowest estimated recharge; irrigation rates during this period were 46 percent lower than during 1926–79, and rainfall was the lowest of any period.

With the closure of HC&S’ sugarcane fields in central Maui, and subsequent stoppage of irrigation over the groundwater aquifer, recharge will be reduced and the groundwater flow system will be affected. (USGS)

Population growth on the Island of Maui has led to an increase in ground-water demand. The resident population on the island increased more than 300% percent during the period 1960–2010: from 35,717 to 144,444 (Maui County)

The ‘Ïao aquifer system is the principal source of domestic water supply for the Island of Maui. Ground-water withdrawals from this aquifer system increased from less than 10-Mgal/d during 1970 to about 17-Mgal/d during 2005.

So, there is concern surrounding declines in ground-water levels and an increase in the chloride concentration of water pumped from wells in the ‘Ïao aquifer system.

Even before the contemplated, and later announced, closure of HC&S sugar cultivation, the State Water Commission designated ‘Īao as a groundwater management area because the 12-month moving average pumping withdrawals exceeded the Commission-established trigger.

The effect of changes in irrigation-enhanced recharge was illustrated on a small scale in Wailua on Kauai, and the drying up of ‘Fern Grotto’ was the result. There, the Kapa‘a irrigation system was built in the 1920s to provide water for approximately 6,000 acres of land under sugar cane.

Up until the sugar company closing, the lower portion has been fed by the Hanamaulu Ditch, which ended at ‘Reservoir 21,’ directly above Fern Grotto. The ferns began growing only after sugar was grown on the land 150 feet above the cave.

Plantation workers built a catch basin for storm runoff that became known as Reservoir 21. Water from the reservoir percolated through the ground and came out on the roof and walls of the cave.

The shutting down of the Hanamaulu Ditch has undoubtedly contributed or even was the principal cause of the drying up on the Fern Grotto. The lack of irrigation water caused the cliff-side ferns to dry up.

A 9-month rejuvenation project involved creation of a second waterfall in the grotto and installation of solar panels to power pumps to bring water from the Wailua Reservoir to the Fern Grotto.

Now, the Fern Grotto is back. Solutions in the central Maui isthmus, the principal source of domestic water supply for the Island of Maui, are not as simple.

A century after Captain James Cook’s arrival in Hawaiʻi, sugar plantations started to dominate the landscape. Sugar changed the social fabric of Hawaii. Hawai`i’s economy turned toward sugar in the decades between 1860 and 1880.

The industry came to maturity by the turn of the century; the industry peaked in the 1930s. Hawaiʻi’s sugar plantations employed more than 50,000 workers and produced more than 1-million tons of sugar a year; over 254,500-acres were planted in sugar. (That plummeted to 492,000-tons in 1995; a majority of the plantations closed in the 1990s.)

So, the Islands have not just lost that last remnant of generations of economic and agricultural activity; Maui must now look at ways to manage and provide for water needs and demands, given the loss of irrigation-enhanced recharge. (Lots of information here is from several USGS reports.)

I was fortunate to have served as the Chair and Director of the Department of Land and Natural Resources and the Chair of the Water Commission, working on these and other related issues.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

maui-sugar-cane-ron-dahlquist
maui-sugar-cane-ron-dahlquist
Central Maui Isthmus-sugarcane
Central Maui Isthmus-sugarcane
EMI_System-map
EMI_System-map
EMI_Intake
EMI_Intake
EMI-Ditch
EMI-Ditch
Installation of a pipeline for Haiku ditch water under the steel railroad bridge crossing the Maliko Gulch-1909
Installation of a pipeline for Haiku ditch water under the steel railroad bridge crossing the Maliko Gulch-1909
Iao Aquifer-Ditches-USGS
Iao Aquifer-Ditches-USGS
Fern Grotto
Fern Grotto
Fern Grotto
Fern Grotto

Filed Under: Economy, General Tagged With: Maui, Iao, East Maui Irrigation, Isthmus, Central Maui, Hawaii

May 23, 2016 by Peter T Young 6 Comments

William Francis James

“Dear Doctor (James) – I have taken this opportunity to express my heartiest appreciation and many thanks for the good treatment that I received at your hands while at the hospital for the last past three months.”

“I am enjoying sound health at present owing to your skilful medical attention given me and which I never, will forget.” (Hawaiian Star, December 7, 1909)
On the continent, the idea of unified, correlated national health services had been germinating slowly since the epidemic of yellow fever in 1793. Fast forward about a century … State Boards of Health were being organized in rapid succession.

In 1874 the National Association of State Health Commissioners was formed, and the obvious need for a central federal health agency became more and more apparent. Then in 1879, a National Board of Health was created.

In 1872, the small island off Iwilei in Honolulu Harbor – “Kamokuʻākulikuli” – became the site of a quarantine station used to handle the influx of immigrant laborers drawn to the islands’ developing sugar plantations.

The site is described as “little more than a raised platform of sand and pilings to house the station, with walkways leading to the harbor edge wharf, where a concrete sea wall had been constructed” and as “a low, swampy area on a reef in the harbor”. (Hawaiian Gazette, March 23, 1881)

By 1888, Kamokuʻākulikuli Island had been expanded and was known as “Quarantine Island.” If vessels arrived at the harbor after 15 days at sea and contagious disease was aboard, quarantine and disinfecting procedures were required at Quarantine Island. (Cultural Surveys)

At the request of the Territorial authorities an officer of the United States Public Health Service was detailed for duty as sanitary adviser to the Governor of Hawaii. (Journal of Public Health, 1913)

The work of the Public Health and Marine-Hospital Service in Hawaii was divided into four sections: quarantine operations; plague-preventive measures; immigration inspection; and marine-hospital relief.

“At Honolulu the service has a first-class quarantine and disinfecting station with a wharf capable of accommodating vessels of 35 feet draft. The quarantine station has accommodations for 75 cabin and 600 steerage passengers in the regular quarters and barracks.”

“In addition there are tent platforms of United States Army Regulation, 14 by 15 size, which can be made available at short notice for 1,280 soldiers, with the cooperation of the Quartermaster Department of the Army or of the Hawaiian National Guard. There is also tentage capacity on the island for at least as many more troops or other persons.”

“At Hilo the service maintains a second-class quarantine and disinfecting station with facilities for fumigating vessels by the sulphur-pot method. There is as yet no provision for handling numbers of persons in quarantine except on shipboard or by arrangement with the board of health for use of its quarters temporarily.”

“At the subports of Mahukona, Kahului, Lāhainā, Port Allen and Kōloa acting assistant surgeons of the service board and inspect incoming vessels.” (Surgeon General Annual Report, 1911)

Dredged materials from improvements to Honolulu harbor had enlarged Quarantine Island again and by 1906 the island was encircled by a seawall and was 38-acres. By 1908 the Quarantine Station consisted of Quarantine Island and the reclaimed land of the Quarantine wharf (with a causeway connecting the two.)

Quarantine Island (what is now referred to as Sand Island) became the largest United States quarantine station of the period, accommodating 2,255-individuals. This facility included two hospitals and a crematorium. (Cultural Surveys)

One of its residents was William Francis James.  James was born in Darwhar, Bombay Presidency, India, November 11, 1860, the son of Cornelius Francis and Caroline Sophia James.

Dr William Francis James was married to Sarah Ellen “Helen” Robinson in San Antonio, Texas on June 16 1886. The couple were parents to eight children: William Walter James, Francis “Frank” Leicester James, Stella James, Caroline Ella “Cherie” James Morren, Sophie Ethel James Fase, Gracie James, Naomi James Jacobson Hart and Ruth James Lord. (Schnuriger)

James was a graduate physician (Tulane, 1893) and surgeon in private practice since 1888 in San Antonio Texas. He enlisted in the US Army in the Rough Riders, 1st Volunteer Cavalry during Spanish American War in 1898 and then came to the Islands in 1903 to work for the Public Health Service; his salary was $200 per month.

His duty as Acting Assistant Surgeon required him to board vessels wanting to enter the port of Honolulu and examine their passengers and crew and ascertain if there are any diseases there among that would prevent the vessel from entering the port. (US Circuit Court of Appeals)

“(W)e treat free of charge all sailors on United States boats, and also hospital treatment and outdoor patients treatment, and boarding vessels for the purpose of examining the crew and passengers on board the boats as to their health, and contagious diseases especially.” (James)

His services went beyond medicine … “Voicing the unanimous sentiment of the Japanese community, the members of the Japanese Hotel Union of Honolulu desire to express their deep appreciation of the heroic act …”

“… by which a Japanese woman, Sei Shibata, was saved by you from drowning in Honolulu harbor on the 23rd of September, 1912.” (Honolulu Star-Bulletin, October 3, 1912)

“Plunging into waters infested with sharks, Acting Assistant Surgeon WF James, of the public health service, stationed at Honolulu, rescued a Japanese woman from drowning on September 23.”

“The Young brothers’ launch Water-witch with visiting newspapermen was soon at the scene, and the woman and her brave rescuers were hauled aboard. From the launch they were transferred to the ‘Korea.’ Drs Trotter and James worked over the woman for some time before she was restored to consciousness.” (Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 24, 1912)

“(James) was lauded for bravery by Secretary of the Treasury MacVeagh, who yesterday called attention to his ‘humanitarian and unselfish action.’ Dr James was formerly a Roosevelt Rough Rider.” (Honolulu Star-Bulletin, November 4, 1912) He died May 23, 1944 in Honolulu.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Sand Island Wharf-Dr. William F. James and family (heavenlycolors)
Sand Island Wharf-Dr. William F. James and family (heavenlycolors)
William_Francis_James
William_Francis_James
Dr William F James with his wife Sarah Robinson James
Dr William F James with his wife Sarah Robinson James
Quarantine Station-Dr William F James with his wife Sarah Robinson James-(heavenlycolors)
Quarantine Station-Dr William F James with his wife Sarah Robinson James-(heavenlycolors)
Immigration Quarantine Station (Sand Island)-PP-10-4-001-00001
Immigration Quarantine Station (Sand Island)-PP-10-4-001-00001
Immigration Quarantine Station (Sand Island)-PP-10-3-021-00001
Immigration Quarantine Station (Sand Island)-PP-10-3-021-00001
Japanese_Coming_Off_Ship-causeway on Sand Island-(HSA)-PP-46-4-005-00001
Japanese_Coming_Off_Ship-causeway on Sand Island-(HSA)-PP-46-4-005-00001
Immigration Quarantine Station (Sand Island)-PP-10-3-030-00001
Immigration Quarantine Station (Sand Island)-PP-10-3-030-00001
Honolulu Harbor-light-quarantine station-PP-40-3-008
Honolulu Harbor-light-quarantine station-PP-40-3-008
Honolulu Harbor Light Station (L) and the Quarantine docks (R)
Honolulu Harbor Light Station (L) and the Quarantine docks (R)
Honolulu-USGS_Quadrangle-Honolulu-1927-noting Quarantine Island
Honolulu-USGS_Quadrangle-Honolulu-1927-noting Quarantine Island
Honolulu_USGS_Quadrangle-Honolulu-1933-noting Quarantine Island
Honolulu_USGS_Quadrangle-Honolulu-1933-noting Quarantine Island
Honolulu_Harbor_to_Diamond_Head-Wall-Reg1690-1893-noting Quarantine Island
Honolulu_Harbor_to_Diamond_Head-Wall-Reg1690-1893-noting Quarantine Island

Filed Under: Place Names, Prominent People, Economy, General, Hawaiian Traditions Tagged With: Hawaii, Iwilei, Kamokuakulikuli, Sand Island, Quarantine Island, William Francis James

May 18, 2016 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Alexander House Settlement

The Hawaiian settlement house movement was a smaller version of the American movement best represented by Chicago’s Hull House. Staffed by members of the middle class, these institutions sought to help immigrant families adapt to the language and customs of their new country.

The word ‘settlement’ had connotations of the frontier middle-class ‘settling’ in the inner city. Settlement houses in Hawai‘i and the US offered educational services, staged community events, build libraries and in general tried to enhance the lives of their neighborhoods.

Behind the settlement house effort was the progressive belief in the importance of social cohesion, the belief that individuals are not autonomous but part of a web of social relationships and that welfare of any single person is dependent on the welfare of society as a whole. (Castle)

“The ‘Settlement’ as developed both in England and the United States is concerned with the social and moral well-being of its community in both concrete and spiritual form.”

“But since its field is among people of many races and creeds and of widely different economic standing it cannot restrict itself by adhering to any channel of dogma or belief which represents only a portion of the community. Like any rule this one has its exceptions, but that is the general principle upon which a Settlement must work if it wishes to be a community organization.”

“The Settlement field is that of applied social science; what we might call the firing line of our social, political, and economic theory.”

“This field always represents the frontier between the great body of theory and principle and the great body of condition and fact – applying, adapting and proving or disproving the one to the other by concrete expression. That is the field and the fundamental principle adopted by the Alexander House Settlement.” (The Friend, December 1922)

The precursor of the Alexander House Settlement was a Chinese Mission located in Wailuku to which Miss Charlotte L Turner came to take charge in 1893.

After seven years of this work Miss Turner and Miss NG Malone, also formerly a mission worker on Maui, were on a vacation in the East and while visiting ‘Settlements’ in Chicago, New York and Boston conceived the idea of establishing a settlement on Maui. Both returned to Wailuku and went to work to put this idea into concrete form.

These two finally secured contributions enough to start building and also secured the land upon which to build. The land, about two acres, was deeded by the “Directors of the Wailuku Sugar Co. to the Hawaiian Board of Missions for Educational, and Christian work only,” reversion to the Sugar Company when no longer so used being a part of the deed.

In 1900 work was begun. No stone was left unturned to help along in the good work. Prison labor was given by the county. Even the Mission workers (Miss Turner and her assistants), literally “by the sweat of their brows” with hoes and other implements did a share of the work. (The Friend, December 1922)

The first building erected was known as the “Settlement Building” and was situated on the corner of Main and Market streets. It was completed and opened in 1900, its main use being for a kindergarten.

The name “Alexander House Settlement” was chosen as Miss Turner says because “It was customary to name them (settlements) after the men and women whose lives had been consecrated to the uplift of humanity, hence, the name ‘Alexander House’ after ‘William and Mary Alexander’ the influence of whose lives is still felt on Maui, and throughout the Islands and whose names we love to honor.”

The settlement house should not be confused with the former Alexander home of missionaries William and Mary Alexander farther up Main Street in Wailuku.

After the Settlement began functioning, it was found necessary to build a residence for the workers and the present residence was erected in 1901. In 1909 they added a gymnasium and swimming tank (pool) and bowling alley.

A reading room was finally opened, papers were subscribed, books were donated and finally a Library Association was formed which enlarged the library and each year raised enough money to keep the “Library” open at stated hours afternoons and evenings. From this effort has grown the Maui County Free Public Library.

In 1916 land was also acquired on which to build a tennis court; later a second court was constructed and then four more. In 1919, a new field, or rather a new organization of its field of endeavor, gave the Settlement a much larger scope.

At this time the plantations entered into an agreement whereby their welfare work was put under the general supervision of the Settlement. (The Friend, December 1922)

The Alexander Settlement served as the address of the Maui Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) recruitment office from 1934 to 1941; the CCC later changed to the “TH Employment Service, Wailuku, Maui.”

Throughout the years of its existence, Alexander House hosted concerts, parties and entertainments as fundraising events. Community outreach programs in health care and physical education were developed by Alexander House and the complex housed the Chamber of Commerce, the Red Cross, Community Chest and other public service groups.

Later, the Alexander House Settlement’s kindergarten and land was transformed into a United Service Organization (USO.) By 1950, Alexander House closed its doors and was replaced by the National Dollar Store and by American Security bank. (Later the corner bank site was redeveloped as an office building.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Alexander House Settlement
Alexander House Settlement
Alexander House, Kindergarten Class, Wailuku, 1903
Alexander House, Kindergarten Class, Wailuku, 1903
Alexander House_Settlement
Alexander House_Settlement
Alexander House
Alexander House
Alexander House Settlement-Sewing Class-1903
Alexander House Settlement-Sewing Class-1903
Alexander House Settlement-Kindergarten group-1903
Alexander House Settlement-Kindergarten group-1903
Alexander House Settlement-Japanese Kindergarten group-1903
Alexander House Settlement-Japanese Kindergarten group-1903
Alexander House Wailuku
Alexander House Wailuku
Alexander House-Wailuku
Alexander House-Wailuku
Alexander House Settlement-Workers House-1903
Alexander House Settlement-Workers House-1903
Alexander House Settlement Church-Maui News
Alexander House Settlement Church-Maui News
National Dollar Store 1960
National Dollar Store 1960

Filed Under: General, Economy Tagged With: Hawaii, Maui, Wailuku, Alexander Settlement House

May 7, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

HECO

In the late 1870s, ‘electricity’ was the talk of society. King Kalākaua had heard and read about this revolutionary new form of energy, and he arranged to meet Thomas Edison in New York in 1881 during the course of his world tour. (HECO)

In 1881, the Exposition Universelle (World’s Fair) was held in Paris; it was the first International Exposition of Electricity. The major events associated with the Fair included Thomas Edison’s electric lights, electrical distribution and Alexander Graham Bell’s telephone.

During the King’s visit to NYC, the New-York Tribune (September 25, 1881) wrote an article about the King: “One of the sights that pleased him most was the Paris Electrical Exhibition. We spent some time there.”

“Kalākaua is going to introduce the electric light in his own kingdom; and he examined the different lamps on that account with the greatest interest. The life in Paris entertained him very much; they turned night into day there.”

Then, Charles Otto Berger, organized a demonstration of ‘electric light’ at ʻIolani Palace, on the night of July 26, 1886. To commemorate the occasion, a tea party was organized by Her Royal Highness the Princess Lili‘uokalani and Her Royal Highness the Princess Likelike.

The Royal Hawaiian Military Band played music and military companies marched in the palace square. An immense crowd gathered to see and enjoy the brightly lit palace that night. (HECO)

Shortly after this event, David Bowers Smith, a North Carolinian businessman living in Hawaiʻi, persuaded Kalākaua to install an electrical system on the palace grounds. The plant consisted of a small steam engine and a dynamo for incandescent lamps. On November 16, 1886 – Kalākaua’s birthday – ʻIolani Palace became the world’s first royal residence to be lit by electricity.

The government began exploring ways to establish its own power plant to light the streets of Honolulu. A decision was made to use the energy of flowing water to drive the turbines of a power plant built in Nuʻuanu Valley.

Water was taken in a pipeline running past Kaniakapūpū, then fed a hydroelectric plant in an area known as “Reservoir #1,” just above Oʻahu County Club. Power lines were strung on the existing Mutual Telephone Co poles in the area, down to downtown Honolulu.

In addition, by 1890, the Honolulu firm of EO Hall was installing small power plants at residential locations and supplying some businesses with power via wiring strung from a steam dynamo at their building in downtown Honolulu. Electricity was extended to 797 of Honolulu’s homes. (HECO)

The business of EO Hall & Son, Limited started in 1852 at the corner of Fort and King streets. In their early years, besides hardware, the stock consisted of dry goods of all kinds and quite an assortment of groceries.

The firm continued to deal in hardware, agricultural implements, dry goods, leather, paints and oils, silver-plated ware, wooden ware, tools of all kinds, kerosene oil, etc, until about the year 1878, when dry goods were dropped, except a few staple articles. (Alexander)

On May 7, 1891 several EO Hall corporate officers, under the direction of Jonathan Austin, filed with the Hawaiian government to form a partnership to produce and supply electricity as the Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO.) (HAER)

Five months later – on October 13, 1891 – the co-partnership was dissolved and Hawaiian Electric was incorporated, with total assets of $17,000 and William W Hall as its first President. (HECO)

The works of the company were in a 100 x 100-foot brick building at the corner of Alakea and Halekauwila streets; a large cold storage building was attached.

The cold storage plant was divided into fifteen rooms with temperature varying from 10 deg. to 42 deg. (F.) Meat markets, grocers, fruit and liquor dealers had taken up nearly all the available space of the plant.

The 2-story building had all the latest fittings as electric elevators, electric lights through all the rooms, overhead tracks in the large meat rooms, etc., etc. In the electrical department the company keeps a large stock of electrical fittings and was prepared to install electric plants and supply all the necessary fittings for house lighting. (Alexander)

On January 12, 1893, as one of her last official acts, Queen Lili‘uokalani approved legislation that empowered the government to provide and regulate the production of electricity in Honolulu. Her constitutional monarchy was overthrown five days later.

On May 3, HECO (the only bidder) was granted a 10-year franchise by the provisional Hawaiian Government to supply electricity to anyone in Honolulu.

The government retained control of the operation at Nuʻuanu and maintained it to operate streetlights when it was able. The following year HECO began operating from a generator plant near the corner of Alakea and Halekauwila Streets in Honolulu.

By 1906, HECO power lines extended to Waikiki and Manoa Valley, reaching over 2,500 customers. In 1916, substations fed by high voltage transmission lines came into use and replaced the older system of low voltage distribution lines. By this time HECO provided power to windward O‘ahu and to Pearl Harbor. (HAER)

Construction on the Waiau Power Plant began on June 3, 1937. It was HECO’s second power plant, after the existing Honolulu plant at Alakea Street. The Waiau Power Plant building was finished in June 1938.

During World War II, HECO provided vital electric power to the military for the war effort, sometimes blacking out residential service to be able to meet military demands.

More often, coordination between government and private sector resulted in altered work schedules to allow HECO’s power to flow to the military when they needed it.

A third power plant location was built in 1963 at Kahe Point in Leeward Oahu. Kahe Point would become the main power generating station for HECO, in the early 1990s. (HAER)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-8-8-001-00001
Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-8-8-001-00001
EO_Hall_&_Son
EO_Hall_&_Son
EO_Hall_&_Son-Fort and King Sts-PP-38-6-014
EO_Hall_&_Son-Fort and King Sts-PP-38-6-014
Hawaiian_Electric_Co
Hawaiian_Electric_Co
Hawaiian Electric-1923
Hawaiian Electric-1923
HawaiiHawaiian Electric Company-PP-8-7-001-00001an Electric Company-PP-8-7-001-00001
Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-8-8-002-00001
Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-8-8-002-00001
Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-8-8-004-00001
Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-8-8-004-00001
Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-38-9-014-1923
Hawaiian Electric Company-PP-38-9-014-1923
Hawaiian Electric displays the current electronic gadgets of the day in the mid 1930s
Hawaiian Electric displays the current electronic gadgets of the day in the mid 1930s
HECO_Kahe_Power_Plant-WC
HECO_Kahe_Power_Plant-WC
HECO-Waiau-Power_Plant
HECO-Waiau-Power_Plant
Nuuanu_Hydro 1906 re-build_PP-8-7-003
Nuuanu_Hydro 1906 re-build_PP-8-7-003
Nuuanu_Homes-Monsarrat-(portion)-1920-(noting_Government_Electric_Works)
Nuuanu_Homes-Monsarrat-(portion)-1920-(noting_Government_Electric_Works)
Kalakaua's_Nuuanu_Hydro_1887_PP-8-7-004
Kalakaua’s_Nuuanu_Hydro_1887_PP-8-7-004

Filed Under: General, Economy Tagged With: Hawaiian Electric, EO Hall, Hawaii, Electricity, HECO

May 1, 2016 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Common Stock

An often repeated (and unfounded/incorrect) statement is, “The missionaries came to do good, and they did very well.” (Suggesting the missionaries personally profited from their services in the Islands.)

A simple review of the facts show that the missionaries were forbidden to “engage in any business or transaction whatever for the sake of private gain” and they did not, and could not, own property individually.

The Prudential Committee of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM,) in giving instructions to the Pioneer Company of 1819, said:

“Your mission is a mission of mercy, and your work is to be wholly a labor of love. … Your views are not to be limited to a low, narrow scale, but you are to open your hearts wide, and set your marks high.”

“You are to aim at nothing short of covering these islands with fruitful fields, and pleasant dwellings and schools and churches, and of Christian civilization.” (Instructions of the Prudential Committee of the ABCFM, October 15, 1819)

Over the course of a little over 40-years (1820-1863 – the ‘Missionary Period,’) about 180-men and women in twelve Companies served in Hawaiʻi to carry out the mission of the ABCFM in the Hawaiian Islands.

To supply the mission members, a Common Stock system was initiated – it was a socialistic, rather than capitalistic, economic structure.

The Common Stock system was a community-based economic system designed to enable the missionaries to accomplish their goals without having to worry about finding sustenance and shelter.

The missionaries were constantly reminded of Matthew Chapter 6, verse 24: “No one can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon (money.)” (Woods)

The Laws and Regulations of the ABCFM stated, “No missionary or assistant missionary shall engage in any business or transaction whatever for the sake of private gain …”

“… nor shall anyone engage in transactions or employments yielding pecuniary profit, without first obtaining the consent of his brethren in the mission; and the profits, in all cases, shall be placed at the disposal of the mission.”

“The missionaries and assistant missionaries are regarded as having an equitable claim upon the churches, in whose behalf they go among the heathen, for an economical support, while performing their missionary labors …”

“… and it shall be the duty of the Board to see that a fair and equitable allowance is made to them, taking into view their actual circumstances in the several countries where they reside.” (Laws and Regulations of the Board, 1812)

So missionaries could devote their entire energies to developing a written language for the Hawaiian people, translating the Bible into Hawaiian and teaching native men, women and children to read it, the ABCFM supplied all the Hawaiian mission’s domestic needs through a Common Stock system administered by appointed secular agents for the mission.

“The kingdom to which you belong is not of this world. Your mission is to the native race,” ABCFM Secretary Rufus Anderson instructed the missionaries. Consequently, missionaries practiced rigid economy partly out of necessity, and partly out of a desire to appear trustworthy to the American churches upon whom they depended for total support. (Schulz)

The Mission was supported by donations to the ABCFM on the continent, “The free-will offerings of many churches, and many thousands of individuals are cast into one treasury, and committed, for application to the intended objects, to persons duly appointed to the high trust.”

“Upon these sacred funds and under this constituted direction, approved persons, freely offering themselves for the holy service, are sent forth to evangelize the heathen.”

“Your economical polity will be founded on the principle established by the Board, ‘That at every missionary station, the earnings of the members of the mission, and all monies and articles of different kinds, received by them, or any of them, directly from the funds of the Board, or in the way of donation, shall constitute a common stock …”

“… from which they shall severally draw their support in such proportions, and under such regulations as may from time to time be found advisable, and be approved by the Board or by the Prudential Committee.’” (Instruction to the Missionaries, October 15, 1819)

The Minutes of a meeting of the Pioneer Company on their way aboard the Thaddeus reinforced these instructions, “The property acquired by the members jointly or by individuals of the body either by grant, barter, or earnings shall also be subject to the disposal of the members jointly.”

“The property thus furnished or acquired, either divided or undivided, shall be devoted to the general purposes of the mission, according to the tenor of our Instructions from the A. B. Com. F. M. and according to our own regulations, not incompatible with those instructions.”

“No member of this mission shall be entitled to use or allowed to appropriate such property divided or undivided, in bying [sic], selling, giving, or consuming, etc. in any manner incompatible with our general Instructions, or contrary to the voice of a majority of the members.” (Minutes of the Prudential Meeting of the Mission Family, November 16, 1819)

The Mission’s secular agent, Levi Chamberlain, kept track of everything mission families received from the Depository, gifts from mainland friends or family members, and any presents from Native Hawaiians. Everything was counted against the equal distribution of goods.

Mission family members were allowed to keep personal gifts from family and friends as private property, but those gifts were subtracted from what they would otherwise be entitled to receive from the Depository. (Woods)

In 1836 the Mission wrote, “No man can point to private property to the value of a single dollar, which any member of the mission has acquired at the Sandwich Islands.”

Missionary Dwight Baldwin noted, “Every member, I think, to a man, has been engrossed in labors for the benefit of the people. And it is certainly true of nearly every one, that he has turned his attention to no provision whatever which his children might need in America.” (Schulz)

“In spite of the fact that they followed this community-based economic system, there is no doubt that the missionaries were capitalists. In 1838 William Richards took leave from the mission and then resigned to become the translator and advisor for King Kamehameha III.”

“At the King’s request Richards taught the chiefs about capitalism and constitutional government using a book he translated by Baptist pastor and Brown University President Francis Wayland, titled The Elements of Political Economy.”

“This class led directly to the establishment of the so-called Hawaiian Bill of Rights a few months later in 1839 that guaranteed rights to commoners that included rights to their own property.”

“The class also led to the establishment of the first constitution of Hawai‘i in 1840. The class may also have prepared the way for the Māhele in the late 18405 that established the right of private land ownership.” (Woods)

Two years after Kamehameha III created the first Hawaiian constitution, legislature, and public education system, the ABCFM aided the missionaries by transitioning to a salary system. The Board allotted each couple $450 per year and granted children under 10 an additional $30 and children over 10, $70 annually. (Schulz)

At their General Meeting in 1843, the Mission resolved, “That although we consider the salary allowed us by the Board a bona fide salary, still, in our character as missionaries, we are a peculiar people, having wholly consecrated ourselves to the Lord for the spread of the Gospel in the earth …”

“… and however it may be proper for other men to engage in speculations, and accumulate property, we cannot consistently with our calling engage in business for the purpose of private gain.” (Cheever)

The Depository continued as a purchasing agent for missionaries who could purchase their supplies at a discount from the Secular Agent, but all gifts or other earnings were still deducted from this salary. Land and herds continued to be owned jointly by the mission. (Woods)

Missionary parents could now give their children a New England education in the islands at O‘ahu College (Punahou, founded in 1841) and save their personal incomes for their children’s futures. (Schulz)

In 1863, the ABCFM withdrew financial support for the mission and the Missionary Period ended.

I encourage folks to visit the Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives, in the shadow of Kawaiahaʻo Church, on King Street. It’s a great way to learn the facts about the missionaries and the Missionary Period.

Docent guided tours (Tuesday through Saturday, starting on the hour every hour from 11 am with the last tour beginning at 3 pm) take about an hour and cost $10 ($8 Kamaʻāina, Seniors and Military,) Students $6 (age 6 to College w/ID;) Kamaʻāina Saturday (last Saturday of the month) 50% off for residents.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Mission_Houses,_Honolulu,_ca._1837._Drawn_by_Wheeler_and_engraved_by-Kalama
Mission_Houses,_Honolulu,_ca._1837._Drawn_by_Wheeler_and_engraved_by-Kalama

Filed Under: Economy, Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings Tagged With: Pioneer Company, Missionaries, American Board of Commissioners of Foreign Missions, ABCFM, Common Stock, Hawaii

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 223
  • 224
  • 225
  • 226
  • 227
  • …
  • 238
  • Next Page »

Images of Old Hawaiʻi

People, places, and events in Hawaiʻi’s past come alive through text and media in “Images of Old Hawaiʻi.” These posts are informal historic summaries presented for personal, non-commercial, and educational purposes.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Connect with Us

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent Posts

  • ʻŌhiʻa
  • Waiʻalae Shopping Center
  • Hoʻopuloa
  • Uncle Tom’s Cabin
  • Kanaʻina
  • FDR in Hawaiʻi
  • Pu‘ukoholā

Categories

  • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
  • Hawaiian Traditions
  • Military
  • Place Names
  • Prominent People
  • Schools
  • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
  • Economy
  • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Mayflower Summaries
  • American Revolution
  • General
  • Ali'i / Chiefs / Governance
  • Buildings

Tags

Albatross Al Capone Ane Keohokalole Archibald Campbell Bernice Pauahi Bishop Charles Reed Bishop Downtown Honolulu Eruption Founder's Day George Patton Great Wall of Kuakini Green Sea Turtle Hawaii Hawaii Island Hermes Hilo Holoikauaua Honolulu Isaac Davis James Robinson Kamae Kamaeokalani Kameeiamoku Kamehameha Schools Lalani Village Lava Flow Lelia Byrd Liberty Ship Liliuokalani Mao Math Mauna Loa Midway Monk Seal Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Oahu Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Pearl Pualani Mossman Quartette Thomas Jaggar Volcano Waikiki Wake Wisdom

Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hoʻokuleana LLC is a Planning and Consulting firm assisting property owners with Land Use Planning efforts, including Environmental Review, Entitlement Process, Permitting, Community Outreach, etc. We are uniquely positioned to assist you in a variety of needs.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Copyright © 2012-2024 Peter T Young, Hoʻokuleana LLC

Loading Comments...