Images of Old Hawaiʻi

  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Ali’i / Chiefs / Governance
    • American Protestant Mission
    • Buildings
    • Collections
    • Economy
    • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
    • General
    • Hawaiian Traditions
    • Other Summaries
    • Mayflower Summaries
    • Mayflower Full Summaries
    • Military
    • Place Names
    • Prominent People
    • Schools
    • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
    • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Collections
  • Contact
  • Follow

January 5, 2016 by Peter T Young 3 Comments

Arterials

Land transportation was one of the areas most affected by the post WWII and Statehood building booms. While O‘ahu’s population dramatically increased, automobile ownership rose at an even greater pace.

In 1938 automobile registration stood at 43,785. In 1945 the number of automobiles on island had grown to 52,527; a dozen years later, in 1957, automobile registration stood at 159,227, a 329.8 percent increase since 1945.

This tremendous influx of automobiles resulted in myriad needs having to be addressed, ranging from the reduction of traffic congestion to improved parking, and enhanced traffic safety measures.

The Territory undertook two other major highway projects, the mauka and makai arterials, to divert traffic off downtown streets. (HHS)

“‘A super highway through Honolulu, 120 feet wide and running mauka of the business district from Kalihi to Kaimuki … would be invaluable in solving Honolulu’s pressing traffic problem,’ engineer John Rush told the City Council in 1939.”

“It wasn’t until after World War II and a sudden increase in complaints about congestion that city officials got serious about the plan, proposing to spend $30 million over 15 years to build a six-lane expressway in 11-stages that would extend from Old Wai‘alae Road to Middle Street, about seven miles.” (Leidemann)

“Bids were opened on the first contract on the Mauka Arterial, Honolulu’s first expressway, which will eventually extend from King and Middle Streets to Kapahulu. By a series of grade separation structures, this seven-mile, six-lane, divided highway will carry crosstown commuters over all intersecting streams of north-south traffic.” (Public Works Annual Report, 1952)

From 1952 to 1962, Honolulu officials kept adding to the Mauka Arterial, described as the first road in the state “tailored to the flight patterns of people.”

A companion Makai Arterial that would have run past Waikiki, down Ala Moana and along an elevated roadway near the Honolulu waterfront never materialized as planned. (DOT)

The three ‘Ewa-bound lanes, extending one mile between Old Wai‘alae Road and Alexander Street, were opened to traffic November 9, 1953. (HHS)

When the first leg opened in 1953, it was hailed “as the highest standards of highway construction yet seen in the islands. Over-and underpasses keep cross-traffic to a minimum. A six-foot fence on both sides bars pedestrians and pets,” according to news reports. (DOT)

The Kaimuki-bound lanes along the same stretch were opened and the highway was formally dedicated on January 5, 1954. (HHS)

Construction forced the condemnation of more than 500 homes and the moving of several thousand people, tearing old neighborhoods apart. In Kaimuki, for instance, that meant razing the entire block of homes between Harding and Pahoa Avenues for the below street-level freeway.

“More blemishes are disappearing from the face of Honolulu as workmen tear down ancient, termite-ridden buildings and prepare to heal the wounds with construction of another segment of the ultra-modern Lunalilo Freeway,” said one 1959 editorial. (Honolulu Advertiser; DOT)

The second segment of the Lunalilo Freeway between Alexander and Alapaʻi was started in 1954, with progress reaching Keʻeaumoku Street by December 1955. By 1959 work had commenced on the interchange between the Lunalilo and Pali highways, which was the first three level grade separation structures to be constructed in Hawaii. (DOT)

The Lunalilo Highway project was expanded to become the H-1, a 28 mile roadway running from Palailai at Campbell Industrial Park to Ainakoa Avenue, with the Lunalilo Highway being the section running through Honolulu. (DOT)

The eight lane makai arterial, named Nimitz Highway, opened to traffic in November 1952, ten years after construction had commenced at the Pearl Harbor gate. (HHS)

“The last projects were nearing completion on the Makai Arterial. This limited access highway will ease travel between Pearl Harbor and Honolulu and between the airport and harbor and the Waikiki hotel district.” (Public Works Annual Report, 1952)

In 1952 transportation officials estimated it would take ten years to build, with costs running $2 million a year, with about one third of the budget dedicated for land acquisition.

It was the most expensive construction project up to that time in Hawai‘i, with much of the moneys devoted to land acquisition, as an estimated 1,600 families required relocation. To recoup some of the costs and to not increase Honolulu’s problematic housing shortage, the dwellings on the condemned lands were auctioned off.

In addition, the 1945 Territorial Legislature enacted a liquid fuel tax in order to generate the funds necessary to match the federal funds available for the highway’s construction. This tax was increased to five cents a gallon in 1955 to help offset Hawaii’s match for the increasing federal dollars coming to the islands for highway construction.

The advent of statehood led to an expansion of the Lunalilo Freeway into the H-1 Interstate Highway. The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 established the Interstate Highway System; however, Hawaii was excluded from this source of funding as it bordered no other state.

To remedy this, a section of the Federal-Aid to Highways Act of 1959 required that a study be undertaken to consider the eligibility of Hawaii and Alaska for interstate highway funding.

As a result of the study, the Hawaii Omnibus Act, which President Eisenhower signed into law on July 12, 1960, removed the language in the Federal-Aid Highway Act which limited the interstate system to the continental US.

It also authorized three interstate highways for Hawaii, H-1, H-2 and H-3 to address national defense concerns, an allowed interstate highway justification which resulted from a 1957 amendment to the original act. (DOT)

An interesting remnant of apparently changed alignment (and probable interconnection of the Mauka and Makai Arterials) is a stub out to nowhere at the on/off ramps at Kapiʻolani Boulevard to H-1. (Lots of information here is from DOT, HHS and Leidemann.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Keeaumoku Street overpass on April 14 1960
Keeaumoku Street overpass on April 14 1960
371101_0.tif. Lunalilo Freeway cut through the city of honolulu. bob young photo SB Oct 24 1967
371101_0.tif. Lunalilo Freeway cut through the city of honolulu. bob young photo SB Oct 24 1967
H-1 Freeway ending at Kapahulu and Harding Avenues on-off-ramps to Kapahulu and Harding Avenues-1965
H-1 Freeway ending at Kapahulu and Harding Avenues on-off-ramps to Kapahulu and Harding Avenues-1965
First mile-long segment of the Mauka Arterial, soon after it was opened in November 1953
First mile-long segment of the Mauka Arterial, soon after it was opened in November 1953
old waialae road onramp to the ewa bound express way. official opening of the mauka arterial this morning at 6:00 Monday Nov 9, 1953. SB Photo
old waialae road onramp to the ewa bound express way. official opening of the mauka arterial this morning at 6:00 Monday Nov 9, 1953. SB Photo
H-1-Waialae_Section-(completed in 1968)
H-1-Waialae_Section-(completed in 1968)
Makai Arterial - H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial – H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial - H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial – H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial - H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial – H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial - H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial – H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial - H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial – H-1 and Kapiolani
Makai Arterial - Queen Becomes Ala Moana-CivilBeat-1951
Makai Arterial – Queen Becomes Ala Moana-CivilBeat-1951
Aloha_Tower-Irwin_Park-PP-40-5-028-1932-Before Makai Arterial
Aloha_Tower-Irwin_Park-PP-40-5-028-1932-Before Makai Arterial
Honolulu-1938-noting general location of future makai arterial
Honolulu-1938-noting general location of future makai arterial
Nimitz-Ala Moana-1955
Nimitz-Ala Moana-1955
Traffic on the Makai Arterial at Bethel St-PP-39-7-045-1955
Traffic on the Makai Arterial at Bethel St-PP-39-7-045-1955
Roads considered for Interstate-Bureau of Public Roads-Oahu-1960
Roads considered for Interstate-Bureau of Public Roads-Oahu-1960

Filed Under: General, Economy Tagged With: Hawaii, Honolulu, Oahu, Mauka Arterial, Makai Arterial

November 28, 2015 by Peter T Young 9 Comments

The Pali

In the early nineteenth century there were three routes from Honolulu to Windward Oʻahu: around the island by canoe; through Kalihi Valley and over the pali by ropes and ladders; and over Nuʻuanu Pali, the easiest, quickest and most direct route.

The first foreigner to descend the Pali and record his trip was Hiram Bingham (my great-great-great grandfather.) His zeal for spreading the word of God led him to take a group of missionaries over the Pali to the Koʻolaupoko area in 1821.

The current Pali Highway is actually the third roadway to be built there. A large portion of the highway was built over the ancient Hawaiian foot paths that traversed the famous Pali pass.

In 1845 the first road was built over the Nuʻuanu Pali to connect Windward Oʻahu with Honolulu. It was jointly financed by the government and sugar planters who wanted easy access to the fertile lands on the windward side of Oʻahu. Kamehameha III and two of his attendants were the first to cross on horseback.

A legislative appropriation in 1857 facilitated road improvements that allowed the passage of carriages. The Rev. E. Corwin and Dr. G. P. Judd were the first to descend in this manner on September 12, 1861.

In 1897, Johnny Wilson and fellow Stanford student Louis Whitehouse won the bid to expand and construct a ‘carriage road’ over the Pali. Ground was broken on May 26, 1897 and the road was opened for carriages on January 19, 1898.

When the current Pali Highway and its tunnels opened (1959,) the original roadway up and over the Pali was closed and is now used by hikers.

I am old enough to have traveled (and young enough to still remember traveling) on the Old Pali Road over the Pali before the tunnels were built.

Living on the windward side and initially going to school and then in later years working in Honolulu, there was always a satisfaction of going through the tunnels and heading home, leaving the rest of the world behind you.

Folklore holds that you should never carry pork over Old Pali Highway, especially at night. Motorists reported that their cars mysteriously stopped and would not start until the pork was removed from the car.

The stories vary, but are rooted in the legendary relationship between fire goddess Pele and the demigod Kamapuaʻa (a half-man, half-pig.) The two agreed not to visit each other.

If one takes pork over the Pali, you are bringing a physical form of Kamapuaʻa into Pele’s territory and breaking their agreement. Some versions note a white dog appears when your car stalls.

The Pali was the site of the Battle of Nuʻuanu, one of the bloodiest battles in Hawaiian history, in which Kamehameha I conquered Kalanikupule of Oʻahu, bringing it under his rule.

In 1795 Kamehameha sailed from his home island of Hawaiʻi with an army of thousands of warriors, including a handful of non-Hawaiian foreigners.

The war apparently ends with some of Kalanikupule’s warriors pushed/jumping off the Pali. When the Pali Highway was being built, excavators counted approximately 800-skulls, believed to be the remains of the warriors who were defeated by Kamehameha.

If you’re driving up the Pali Highway from town you can see two notches cut in the narrow ridgeline. The notches are man-made. Many believe they were cannon emplacements, used especially during the Battle of Nuʻuanu between Oʻahu’s Kalanikupule and Hawaiʻi Island’s Kamehameha.

However, per Herb Kane, “Kalanikupule had some arms bigger than muskets, but they were probably just swivel guns. Besides, the Battle of Nu‘uanu Pali started as a skirmish by Diamond Head, and no one knew where the battle would end up. Kalanikupule could not have planned it that way.”

“Hawaiians, like everyone else, understood the value of high ground. These are certainly (pre-Cook) lookout stations, and that’s why you see them all over the islands – if you look out for them.”

Lili‘uokalani used to visit friends at their estate in Maunawili. She and her brother King David Kalākaua were regular guests and attended parties or simply came there to rest.

Guests, when leaving the home, would walk between two parallel rows of royal palms, farewells would be exchanged; then they would ride away on horseback or in their carriages.

On one trip, when leaving, Liliʻu witnessed a particularly affectionate farewell between a gentleman in her party and a lovely young girl from Maunawili.

As they rode up the Pali and into the swirling winds, she started to hum a melody weaving words into a romantic song. The Queen continued to hum and completed her song as they rode the winding trail down the valley back to Honolulu.

She put her words to music and as a result of that 1878 visit, she wrote “Aloha ‘Oe.”

The melody may have been derived from Croatian folk song (Subotika region) Sedi Mara Na Kamen Studencu (Girl On The Rock,) in 1857 published in Philadelphia by Charles Crozat Converse as The Rock Beside The Sea.

Aloha ʻOe was first introduced in America in 1883 by the Royal Hawaiian Band with Heinrich (Henry) Berger conducting.

(When Liliʻuokalani was imprisoned, Johnny Wilson’s mother Eveline (Townsend) Wilson was her lady in waiting. During her imprisonment, Queen Liliʻuokalani was denied any visitors – but Johnny would bring newspapers hidden in flowers from the Queen’s garden.)

(Reportedly, Liliʻuokalani’s famous song Kuʻu Pua I Paoakalani (written while imprisoned,) was dedicated to Wilson (it speaks of the flowers at her Waikiki home, Paoakalani.))

(The other early set of Koʻolau tunnels, first known as the Kalihi Tunnel (competed in 1960) were named in honor of Johnny Wilson. The H-3 tunnels are named after Tetsuo (Tets) Harano, a former DOT Highways administrator.)

Windward_Side_of_the_Pali-(HHS)-1899
Windward_Side_of_the_Pali-(HHS)-1899
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-038-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-038-00001
Nuuanu Pali - Lookout Summit-PP-60-8-020
Nuuanu Pali – Lookout Summit-PP-60-8-020
Horse Drawn Buggies at Pali Lookout
Horse Drawn Buggies at Pali Lookout
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-035
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-035
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-017-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-017-00001
Pali Road and cliffs, Honolulu, Hawaii ca. 1883-85. Photographer-Vandis Expedition-(BM)
Pali Road and cliffs, Honolulu, Hawaii ca. 1883-85. Photographer-Vandis Expedition-(BM)
Pali Road - 1900
Pali Road – 1900
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-040
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-040
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-036-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-036-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-025
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-025
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-022-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-022-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-019-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-019-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-003-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-60-2-003-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-59-8-033-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-59-8-033-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-59-8-013-00001
Nuuanu Pali-PP-59-8-013-00001
Nuuanu Pali-hairpin-PP-60-2-002-00001
Nuuanu Pali-hairpin-PP-60-2-002-00001
Cars, Pali Lookout, R. Wenkam-(HSA)-ca. 1945
Cars, Pali Lookout, R. Wenkam-(HSA)-ca. 1945
Cars, Pali lookout-(HSA)-ca. 1920
Cars, Pali lookout-(HSA)-ca. 1920
Pali_Tunnels-Bridges_under_construction-1957
Pali_Tunnels-Bridges_under_construction-1957
Pali_Tunnel_Under_Construction
Pali_Tunnel_Under_Construction

Filed Under: General Tagged With: Hawaii, Oahu, Pali

November 20, 2015 by Peter T Young 6 Comments

Kainalu Plane Crash

2nd Lt William Wright and Kainalu Elementary School student Steven Schmitz were killed at 8:30 pm, November 20, 1961, when a “Skyhawk” attack bomber crashed in Kailua.

Two marine jet bombers collided over a residential area and one of them crashed into a home, killing the pilot and the 8 year old boy (son of Coast Guard Commander Frank C Schmitz.)

The planes were returning from a run at the target island (Kahoʻolawe). One plane made it back and landed safely with vertical stabilizer and rudder damage, the other plane went down.

In reconstructing the pieces of the plane in a base hangar, it was evident that Lt. Wright survived the initial impact and could have ejected, but chose to stay with his airplane and tried to dead stick it over the town and into Kailua Bay. Unfortunately, it wasn’t successful despite the heroic efforts of Lt. Wright. (Norm Spilleth)

A military crash crew reported it was unable to approach the plane for an hour after the crash. The jet hit the house squarely after parts of it fell near the Kainalu Elementary School.

Mrs. Robert Craig, principal of the school, said she heard the jets fly over during the PTA meeting (held that night,) then a loud explosion. She said a fence near the school was set afire and she saw the nearby home in a huge sheet of flame. (Chicago Tribune, November 21, 1961)

The matter was the subject of a public presentation by Dr Paul Brennan at a Kainalu Elementary School PTA meeting.

The following link will take you to a video of the presentation; it is followed by a forum discussion by some of the eye witnesses to the event.

The presentation by Brennan and following discussion by the eyewitnesses gives a broad perspective of what happened.

(I had been a 2nd grade student at Kainalu Elementary the year before – Nelia has been a Kainalu 5th grade teacher for the past 10+ years.) The image shows the sad headline.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2015 Hoʻokuleana LLC

 

Kainalu_Crash-Honolulu Advertiser, November 21, 1961
Kainalu_Crash-Honolulu Advertiser, November 21, 1961
Kainalu_Crash-Kingsport News, TN, November 22, 1961
Kainalu_Crash-Kingsport News, TN, November 22, 1961
Kainalu_Crash-Long Beach, CA Press-Telegram, November 21, 1961
Kainalu_Crash-Long Beach, CA Press-Telegram, November 21, 1961
Kainalu_Crash-Evening Times, MD, November 21, 1961
Kainalu_Crash-Evening Times, MD, November 21, 1961

Filed Under: Schools, General, Military Tagged With: Hawaii, Oahu, Kailua, Kainalu, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, MCBH

November 12, 2015 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Kaukahoku

“Kamehameha III, By the Grace of God, King of the Hawaiian Islands, by this Royal Patent, makes known, unto all men, that he has for himself and his successors in office, this day granted and given, absolutely, in Fee Simple unto John George Lewis, his faithful and loyally disposed subject for the consideration of Eight Hundred Dollars”.

Thus, in 1848, through Royal Patent No. 97, John George Lewis acquired 8.92-acres of land in the ili of Kaukahoku (the stars have arisen.) In the 1840s the land was separated from the city by nearly two miles of open land and tropical forest.

It was through this land that Kamehameha the Great marched during what would become the Battle of the Nu‘uanu in April 1795 (the last major battle before the unification of the Hawaiian Islands.)

(Coincidently, Kamehameha was aided by foreigners, including John Young and Isaac Davis, who provided the cannons and tactical know-how used in the battle.)

This land, a portion of a grant known as Kaukahoku was originally designated as Fort Land; that is, it was set apart for the use of the Fort, probably as agricultural land.

Sometime in the 1840s Kekūanāoʻa, Governor of the island of Oahu, leased this land to Henry A Peirce, an American merchant who had established a thriving business in the Hawaiian Islands. He named the property ‘Beleview.’ Peirce, however, soon left the Islands and the land was leased to Lewis. (Rivera)

In September 1843 Lewis notified the Hawaiian Government that at the end of the year he desired to buy the Government interest in the land for $500. The Government, however, set the price at $800 plus interest, which Lewis presumably paid. (HABS)

John Lewis, the son of Isaiah and Polly (Holmes) Lewis, was born in Hawaii and was a successful dry goods importing merchant in Honolulu. Lewis & Co later became Mitchell & Fales, Ship Chandlers, on Nuʻuanu street at Merchant street (Lewis left to become a Real Estate Broker and General Agent.) (Thrum)

Tradition claims that Lewis built the house at Kaukahoku in 1847. (HABS)

It was modeled in the Greek Revival style. It has a formal plan arrangement, wide central hall, high ceilings and floor-length hinged, in-swinging shuttered casement window.

It is one-story, over a basement, and measures about 73-feet by 51-feet. The roof is hipped over the main portion of the home and gabled over the rear lanai that was converted to a room.

Around 1850, Lewis went to Boston and engaged in business there. Before leaving, he sold the land to John Young II (Keoni Ana) for $6,000. (Young was son of John Young who assisted Kamehameha in his final battles for unification, including Nuʻuanu.)

Young gave the name Hānaiakamālama to the house (“foster child of the God Kamalama,” one of the ancestral gods his mother, a Hawaiian high Chiefess, Mary Kuamoʻo Kaoanahaeha, a niece of King Kamehameha I (Lit., the foster child of the light (or moon) – also the name given to the Southern Cross.))

John Young II was an uncle to Emma Rooke who became Queen of the Hawaiian Islands at the time of her marriage to King Kamehameha IV in 1856.

Young gave the young royal couple the use of the home in Nuuanu Valley and they found it a pleasant respite from court life at ʻIolani palace.

At his death in 1857, Young willed the property to his niece, Queen Emma, and thus Hanaiakamalama came into her possession.

She and her family continued to enjoy the home for another five years until the death of her young son, and then her husband.

Queen Emma continued to use the home as a summer house until her death in 1885. Hānaiakamālama became a center of social activity as well as a restful country retreat. (HABS)

When the Duke of Edinburgh visited the Hawaiian Islands as part of the itinerary of a round-the-world tour, Queen Emma “gave an impromptu entertainment to a large number of guests at her residence in Nuʻuanu Valley.”

“The guests enjoyed themselves at croquet and other outdoor sports on the lawn until evening when the fine room prepared for the entertainment of the Duke of Edinburgh was thrown open and dancing commenced and was kept up until about 9 o’clock”. (Hawaiian Gazette, March 2, 1870)

Queen Emma left her property after her death to Colonel Cresswell Rooke of Broomhill, Colchester, Essex, England, a nephew of her hānai father, Dr TCB Rooke, and to Queen’s Hospital.

Col. Rooke visited Hawai’i in 1903 to settle the estate. When the property was divided, the Colonel waived back rents due him, which had been given to Queen’s Hospital (in exchange for several keepsakes.) (Hackler)

In 1890, Alexander Cartwright, executor of the estate testified that Queen Emma’s old home was “in need of extensive repairs, is old and untenantable, has been unoccupied for past five years.” The land and house were put at auction and were bought by the Hawaiian Government on August 27, 1890.

When the government tried to sell the property in 1906, strong public objections to the sale were made, many suggesting that the land be set aside as a park. The government reconsidered. (HABS)

A later concurrent resolution from the legislature was adopted in 1911, “that ‘The Queen Emma Place’ in Nuʻuanu Valley, City and County of Honolulu … be set aside and reserved as a Park, to be known as ‘Nuʻuanu Park’ …”

“… and that the Governor or other proper authorities of the Territory of Hawaii are hereby requested to take, without delay, the necessary legal steps to put into force and effect the purposes of this Concurrent Resolution.”

Hānaiakamālama was later saved from demolition by the Daughters of Hawaiʻi. Today, the Daughters preserve and maintain this residence and the Huliheʻe Palace in Kailua-Kona as museums open to the public.

The restored and furnished home of Queen Emma and King Kamehameha IV offers a glimpse into the lifestyle of the Hawaiian monarchy.

The Daughters of Hawai‘i was founded in 1903 by seven women who were daughters of American Protestant missionaries. They were born in Hawai‘i, were citizens of the Hawaiian Kingdom before annexation and foresaw the inevitable loss of much of the Hawaiian culture.

They founded the organization “to perpetuate the memory and spirit of old Hawai‘i and of historic facts, and to preserve the nomenclature and correct pronunciation of the Hawaiian language.” (My mother was a Daughter.)

The property is open to the public, daily 9:00 am–4:00 pm; closed major holidays; Admission (kamaʻaina:) Adult $6, Child 17 and under $1, Seniors $4; reservations required for groups of 20 or more.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2015 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Nuuanu_Valley-Alexander-DAGS-Reg1467-1888-Kaukahoku Marked
Nuuanu_Valley-Alexander-DAGS-Reg1467-1888-Kaukahoku Marked
Queen Emma's Summer Palace
Queen Emma’s Summer Palace
Parlor of Hānaiakamālama — the Summer Palace of Queen Emma
Parlor of Hānaiakamālama — the Summer Palace of Queen Emma
Queen_Emma_Summer_Palace_Parlor
Queen_Emma_Summer_Palace_Parlor
Royal cabinet-a wedding gift from Prince Albert of England and Queen Victoria to Emma and Alexander
Royal cabinet-a wedding gift from Prince Albert of England and Queen Victoria to Emma and Alexander
Queen_Emma_Summer_Palace_(Hanaiakamalama),_Honolulu,_Hawaii
Queen_Emma_Summer_Palace_(Hanaiakamalama),_Honolulu,_Hawaii
'Nuuanu, looking toward the Pali' by Dr. Hugo Strangenwald, Nu‘uanu Avenue runs up the center of this old image. HSA-1853
‘Nuuanu, looking toward the Pali’ by Dr. Hugo Strangenwald, Nu‘uanu Avenue runs up the center of this old image. HSA-1853

Filed Under: Place Names, Buildings Tagged With: Hawaii, Oahu, Nuuanu, Queen Emma Summer Palace, Hanaiakamalama, Daughters of Hawaii, Kaukahoku, John Lewis

November 4, 2015 by Peter T Young 2 Comments

Early Days at Kamehameha Schools

October 3, 1887 Kamehameha Schools for Boys opens for students and holds classes. By October 12, 37 boys over the age of twelve are enrolled; there were 4 teachers. On November 4 1887, opening day ceremonies take place with much pomp and circumstance.

A year later the Preparatory Department, for boys 6 to 12 years of age, opened in adjacent facilities. In 1894 the Kamehameha School for Girls opened on its own campus nearby.

At the first Founder’s Day ceremony in December, 1889, Charles Reed Bishop, Pauahi’s husband and a member of Kamehameha’s first Board of Trustees, elaborated on her intentions.

“Bernice Pauahi Bishop, by founding the Kamehameha Schools, intended to establish institutions which should be of lasting benefit to her country…The founder of these schools was a true Hawaiian. She knew the advantages of education and well directed industry. Industrious and skillful herself, she respected those qualities in others.” (KSBE)

“The hope that there would come a turning point, when, through enlightenment, the adoption of regular habits and Christian ways of living, the natives would not only hold their numbers, but would increase again.”

“And so, in order that her own people might have the opportunity for fitting themselves for such competition, and be able to hold their own in a manly and friendly way, without asking any favors which they were not likely to receive, these schools were provided for, in which Hawaiians have the preference, and which she hoped they would value and take the advantages of as fully as possible.” (KSBE)

Uldrick Thompson, Sr was a teacher at Kamehameha School for Boys (1889-1898 and 1901-1922) and served as the school principal (1898-1901.) Here are excerpts of his explanation of the early days at Kamehameha Schools.

“You who come to Kamehameha and find it as it now is, cannot conceive the degree of barrenness that greeted us that day. No rain for two years! Not a blade of green grass or even a weed in sight!”

“The few algaroba trees scattered about were not taller than a man, and seemed as stunted and discouraged as the mesquite of Arizona. And rocks, rocks, rocks everywhere, with cracks in the clay between large enough to put your foot in.”

“Only two reasons were never given me for selecting such a site for these schools. The fact that this site was a part of the Bishop Estate was one reason. And the fact that Mr SM Damon, one of the original Trustees, had already begun to develop his beautiful Moanalua Estate and wanted the schools here to prevent the Orientals from spreading out in that direction is another reason.”

“The campus provided two companies in Honolulu with thousands of loads of rock for ballast. Several boys paid for their school expenses by breaking rocks, but this was considered unpopular ‘Portuguese’ work. In 1889, the only area cleared of rocks was the baseball diamond.”

“The roads were made of coral rock and so were trying to the eyes. This coral rock ground up easily and when rain came the mud of the roads mingled with the campus mud and the floors of the dormitories and dining hall were coated with the combination. At times hoes were needed in cleaning the floors because brooms were useless.”

The principal William B Oleson organized the military system at the school in 1888. Officers were appointed by Oleson and were responsible for discipline and marching to and from town. Oleson was in charge of drills, but teachers joined in the marches to church or other meetings. In September 1899, the boys wore their uniforms to class and drills.

“One and one half hours work, before breakfast was required of every boy, from the first day of organization. The rising bell sounded at 5:30 am; the Morning Work began at 5:45 and continued till 7 o’clock. Then breakfast.”

“This work consisted of care of the buildings, grounds; helping about the kitchen and dining room; cutting wood for the school fires and for the teachers; and in clearing the Campus of rocks and weeds. Mr Oleson was out nearly every morning, supervising the work of the boys.”

“But so many colds developed, attributed to exposure to rain and to severe exercise without food, that early in 1898, each boy was given a cup of coffee and a piece of pilot bread before beginning work. And in October 1899, breakfast was served before the boys went to their morning work.”

“Up to October, 1895, each boy was assigned to some definite work when he entered school; and he continued that special work during the whole of that year. Possibly, longer.”

“For example, a boy was assigned to ringing the bell for each change of class or of work; meals etc. and he did nothing else. He learned that one thing; and he learned nothing else. It was astonishing how quickly one of those giants could ring a ten-pound bell to pieces.”

“But early in the fall term of 1895, a system was worked out by which every boy was scheduled for the year; and changed his work at the beginning of the month…this system went into effect and has continued, with modifications”.

There was a great need for trained, skilled local labor, and businessmen anticipated that Kamehameha Schools would provide the training for young Hawaiians in the trade and service industries.

“They believed also that a good percent would prove capable of filling positions of responsibility. These men were sincerely interested in the Hawaiian youth; and they promptly showed this interest by sending boys here and paying all expenses.”

“But the results were not always just what the patrons hoped for. Too many of the boys, feeling that their expenses were paid; and feeling sure of three meals a day, did not seem to care a cent whether school kept or not.”

“One of the experiments (then-principal) Richards worked out was to give the boys a chance to pay their own way at Kamehameha, rather than be dependent upon others.”

“Acting upon Mr Richards’ suggestion, our Trustees on June 15th, 1894, authorized twenty-five Work Scholarships. The plan was to select twenty-five reliable boys; pay each ten cents an hour for his work; and have them do only such work as would otherwise be done by outside labor and paid for by the Estate. In short each boy was to earn that money for the Estate.”

“Getting the boys to realize that self-support as better for each boy than depending upon either their parents or patrons, was not managed in one day. But Mr Richards succeeded in getting the twenty-five boys to try the experiment.”

“One plan was to have the Work Scholarship boys produce all the taro the Schools needed and to this end several taro fields up Kalihi were turned over to the Schools by the Estate. Another plan was to have the Work Scholarship boys produce all the milk the Schools needed and to this end several cows were bought, sorghum was planted and a dairy started.”

“Mr Oleson was both orthodox and practical in religious matters. He believed the Bible implicitly and there was no compromise in his nature; but his sermons and talks for our boys were quite as much about every-day affairs as about a future state.”

“We had devotional exercises every morning at 8:30; and every evening before study began. There was a prayer meeting every Wednesday evening; and every Sunday afternoon. The boys usually marched down to Kaumakapili every Sunday morning for Sunday School and remained to church service.”

(Reminiscences of Old Hawaii with Account of Early Life by Uldrick Thompson, Sr (1941) and Reminiscences of the Kamehameha Schools (1922,) provide information about his experiences in Hawaiʻi and at the Kamehameha School for Boys. Information here comes from those (KSBE.))

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2015 Hoʻokuleana LLC

V2_3A {KSB dormitories-rocky field-Punchbowl in the background]-(KSBE)
V2_3A {KSB dormitories-rocky field-Punchbowl in the background]-(KSBE)
Campus of the three historical schools-(KSBE)-1932
Campus of the three historical schools-(KSBE)-1932
V4_4-C [KSB Band and Cadets in front of Bishop Museum]-(KSBE)
V4_4-C [KSB Band and Cadets in front of Bishop Museum]-(KSBE)
Early Teachers at Kamehameha Schools
Early Teachers at Kamehameha Schools
Kamehameha School for Boys campus-(KSBE)-before 1900
Kamehameha School for Boys campus-(KSBE)-before 1900
Bishop Memorial Chapel Old Kamehameha Schools Campus-(KSBE)
Bishop Memorial Chapel Old Kamehameha Schools Campus-(KSBE)
Bishop Memorial Chapel-(KSBE)-1897
Bishop Memorial Chapel-(KSBE)-1897
BPBishopMuseum-BishopHall-(WC)
BPBishopMuseum-BishopHall-(WC)
v2_7B [Dormitory Row]-(KSBE)
v2_7B [Dormitory Row]-(KSBE)
First Graduating Class of the Kamehameha School for Boys-(KSBE)-1891
First Graduating Class of the Kamehameha School for Boys-(KSBE)-1891
Kamehameha_School_for_Boys_Print_Shop,-(WC)_1897
Kamehameha_School_for_Boys_Print_Shop,-(WC)_1897
V2_6A[Dormitory Row-(KSBE)-c1890]
V2_6A[Dormitory Row-(KSBE)-c1890]
School_for_Boys-L_to_R- Dormitory A, Dormitory B, the Dining-Kitchen-Classroom Building, Dormitory C-(KSBE)
School_for_Boys-L_to_R- Dormitory A, Dormitory B, the Dining-Kitchen-Classroom Building, Dormitory C-(KSBE)
Kamehameha_School_for_Girls-(KSBE)
Kamehameha_School_for_Girls-(KSBE)
Kamehameha_School_for_Girls_sewing_class,-(WC)_late_1890s
Kamehameha_School_for_Girls_sewing_class,-(WC)_late_1890s
First Graduating Class of the Kamehameha School for Girls-(KSBE)-1897
First Graduating Class of the Kamehameha School for Girls-(KSBE)-1897
Girls_Uniform-1920s
Girls_Uniform-1920s
Preparatory_Department-(KSBE)-1888
Preparatory_Department-(KSBE)-1888
Preparatory_Department-students_and_teacher-(KSBE)-1888
Preparatory_Department-students_and_teacher-(KSBE)-1888
Honolulu_Harbor-Diamond_Head-Monsarrat-Reg1910-(1897)-portion-noting_Kamehameha_Schools
Honolulu_Harbor-Diamond_Head-Monsarrat-Reg1910-(1897)-portion-noting_Kamehameha_Schools

Filed Under: Schools Tagged With: Hawaii, Kamehameha Schools, Oahu, William Brewster Oleson ;, Uldrick Thompson

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 69
  • 70
  • 71
  • 72
  • 73
  • …
  • 77
  • Next Page »

Images of Old Hawaiʻi

People, places, and events in Hawaiʻi’s past come alive through text and media in “Images of Old Hawaiʻi.” These posts are informal historic summaries presented for personal, non-commercial, and educational purposes.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Connect with Us

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent Posts

  • Karsten Thot
  • Ice
  • The First Thanksgiving
  • Anuenue
  • Kazumura Cave
  • Isaac Davis
  • An Extraordinary ‘Happening’ – a Pre-Bicentennial Event in Hawai‘i

Categories

  • Ali'i / Chiefs / Governance
  • Buildings
  • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
  • Hawaiian Traditions
  • Military
  • Place Names
  • Prominent People
  • Schools
  • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
  • Economy
  • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Mayflower Summaries
  • American Revolution
  • General

Tags

Albatross Al Capone Ane Keohokalole Archibald Campbell Bernice Pauahi Bishop Charles Reed Bishop Downtown Honolulu Eruption Founder's Day George Patton Great Wall of Kuakini Green Sea Turtle Hawaii Hawaii Island Hermes Hilo Holoikauaua Honolulu Isaac Davis James Robinson Kamae Kamaeokalani Kamanawa Kameeiamoku Kamehameha Schools Lalani Village Lava Flow Lelia Byrd Liliuokalani Mao Math Mauna Loa Midway Monk Seal Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Oahu Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Pearl Pualani Mossman Queen Liliuokalani Thomas Jaggar Volcano Waikiki Wake Wisdom

Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hoʻokuleana LLC is a Planning and Consulting firm assisting property owners with Land Use Planning efforts, including Environmental Review, Entitlement Process, Permitting, Community Outreach, etc. We are uniquely positioned to assist you in a variety of needs.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Copyright © 2012-2024 Peter T Young, Hoʻokuleana LLC

 

Loading Comments...