Images of Old Hawaiʻi

  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Ali’i / Chiefs / Governance
    • American Protestant Mission
    • Buildings
    • Collections
    • Economy
    • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
    • General
    • Hawaiian Traditions
    • Other Summaries
    • Mayflower Summaries
    • Mayflower Full Summaries
    • Military
    • Place Names
    • Prominent People
    • Schools
    • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
    • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Collections
  • Contact
  • Follow

July 15, 2017 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

He wanted to be Lindbergh of the Pacific

Just days after Charles Lindbergh’s transatlantic triumph, the Honolulu Star Bulletin announced a new challenge. Hawaii’s “Pineapple King” James Dole was offering cash prizes to the first and second person or crew to fly nonstop from North America to Honolulu.

But before the race even got off the ground, the Army’s Lieutenant Lester J Maitland (pilot) and Lieutenant Albert F Hegenberger (navigator) became the first to reach Hawaii by air flying the ‘Bird of Paradise.’ (So with that glory claimed, the Dole Derby, as it became known, evolved into a one-time race for cash.) (Smithsonian)

Ernest L Smith dreamt of becoming the ‘Lindbergh of the Pacific.’ But after the Army’s Maitland and Hegenberger reached Hawai‘i before him, he settled on becoming the first civilian to do so. Emory Bronte was his navigator.

Smith, born in Reno, Nevada, had moved with his family to San Francisco in time to experience the great earthquake of 1906. Later the Smiths moved to Oakland, where ‘Ernie’ graduated from high school and spent two years at the University of California at Berkeley.

He then went on to dental training, which was interrupted by the US entry into World War I. After serving briefly in the medical corps, Smith transferred to the new US Army Air Service and learned to fly at Rockwell Field in San Diego.

He spent the rest of the war as an instructor at March Field in Riverside, then joined the Army’s aviation reserve while flying for the Forest Service in the Pacific Northwest. In 1926 he worked for Pacific Air Transport as a pilot.

Bronte, a native of New York, had gone to sea at age 15 before entering the Navy in World War I. After the war he joined Isthmian Steamship Company, working his way up from third mate to master.

In 1923 he relocated to San Francisco to work for McCormick Steamship Company, after which he became the Pacific Coast representative of the Inland Waterways Corporation.

Along the way he had authored a book on navigation, but government service had also whetted his interest in the law, a field he planned to study after the 1927 flight was over. He had taken flying lessons and had soloed in a Curtiss JN-4 ‘Jenny’ but had no actual pilot’s license.

“The crowd of 10,000 that had assembled at Bay Farm Island across the bay from San Francisco watched intently on July 14, 1927, as (Smith and Bronte’s) Travel Air 5000 high-winged monoplane dubbed City of Oakland warmed up on the runway at Oakland Airport, preparing for a transpacific flight attempt.” (Grover)

“Smith and navigator Emory Bronte took off from Oakland, California, in a single-engine Travelair on July 14, 1927. Aside from radio earphone problems, their 25-hour trip went well ….” (Smithsonian)

At 3:45 pm they transmitted an “all’s-well” message. The SS Maunaloa received a message from the City Of Oakland at about 6:00 pm, by which time the flyers were about 500 miles out and doing well.

At 3:00 am one of Bronte’s transmissions was picked up by the SS Wilhelmina and the Army transport Kenowis. The signals were quite weak. However, the SS Waniwa later heard from Bronte’s transmitter with a stronger signal.

Now quite close to the Hawaiian Islands and a place to land, the flyers’ spirits soared only to be momentarily dampened by the sounds of their only engine sputtering and coughing.

They were running out of fuel …

Smith switched to another tank and hand-pumped fuel to it. Within seconds, the engine roared back to life. Smith checked his supply and calculated that only about one hour’s fuel remained … but, they had four hours of flying time to the Islands.

Bronte sent SOS messages to all listeners, marking the plane’s latitude and longitude where they expected to ditch.

Methodical Bronte made a close check of the navigational problem about 500 miles from Hawai‘i and learned that Maui, much closer than their O‘ahu destination, could be reached if their fuel wasn’t depleted beforehand.

Smith took measures to conserve what fuel remained by retarding his throttle, showing down to 100 miles per hour. On they flew, straining for a sight of land.

Reaching Molokai’s southern coast, the engine continued to turn. Smith flew on, parallel to the east coast, then they could see the southwestern side of the island to be heavily wooded and uneven.

Smith headed for the softest looking clump of trees he could find, as the engine quit running entirely. (Horvat; Hawaii Aviation)

“Kiawenui, a desolate, rocky stretch along the southeast coast of Molokai, aptly taking its name from the deep covering of kiawe trees that bristles on beach and hills, has been added to Hawaii’s famous spots—and the kiawe tree has become a famous species in the minds of Ernest Smith, pilot, and Emory Bronte Jr., navigation.”

“It was on this lonely stretch, about two miles east of Kamalo landing that Smith, running out of gasoline, in a last desperate effort to bring his silver monoplane City of Oakland to Oahu from the Pacific coast, was forced to land.”

“And it was the thick, thorn-encrusted limbs of a kiawe that extended Hawaii’s initial welcome to the daring birdmen.”

“Cheering thousands watched the Travelair monoplane take off from the Oakland airport at 10:40 a.m. Pacific time, Thursday. Startled mynah birds and a terrified flock of quail constituted the reception committee for Hawaii 24 hours later.” (Buckley, Star Bulletin, July 16, 1927; Hawaii Aviation)

Pilot and navigator were shaken but unhurt except for scratches from the tree thorns. It was 8:47 am, Hawaiian Standard Time, July 15, 1927.

There was no prize money to be collected, the plane was unusable. But the pair was later honored, along with Lindbergh, Maitland and Hegenberger and other famous flyers, by the President of the United States for their feat and contribution to the development of aviation. The airplane was returned to the US and repaired.

Smith became an executive of Trans World Airways. Bronte was given a Navy reserve lieutenant’s commission. Ten years later, he returned with Mrs. Bronte to the Islands aboard Pan America‘s China Clipper.

During World War II, Bronte went through the Navy’s flight training program as a commander. The pioneer flyer went on to command three naval air stations and an island in the Admiralty group off New Guinea. (Horvat; Hawaii Aviation)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2017 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Smith - Bronte Memorial-Molokai
Smith – Bronte Memorial-Molokai
Smith-Bronte crash
Smith-Bronte crash
1927-7-15 Smith - Bronte 02
1927-7-15 Smith – Bronte 02
Several field hands from Norman Magurie's Kamalo, Molokai, came up to the wreck of the City of Oakland. July 15, 1927
Several field hands from Norman Magurie’s Kamalo, Molokai, came up to the wreck of the City of Oakland. July 15, 1927
1927-7-15 Smith - Bronte 03
1927-7-15 Smith – Bronte 03
City_of_Oakland-takes_off_from_Oakland
City_of_Oakland-takes_off_from_Oakland
1927 July Smith - Bronte 10
1927 July Smith – Bronte 10
1927-7-17 Smith - Bronte 08
1927-7-17 Smith – Bronte 08
1927-7-15 Smith - Bronte 06
1927-7-15 Smith – Bronte 06
1927-7-15 Smith - Bronte 05
1927-7-15 Smith – Bronte 05
Molokai-Smith-Bronte Crash Site-UH_Manoa-USGS-4222-1949-portion-site noted
Molokai-Smith-Bronte Crash Site-UH_Manoa-USGS-4222-1949-portion-site noted
Molokai-Smith-Bronte Crash Site-UH_Manoa-USGS-4221-1949-portion-site noted
Molokai-Smith-Bronte Crash Site-UH_Manoa-USGS-4221-1949-portion-site noted

Filed Under: Prominent People, Economy, General Tagged With: Hawaii, Lester Maitland, Albert Hegenberger, Charles Lindbergh, Molokai, Dole Derby, Ernest Smith, Emory Bronte

July 14, 2017 by Peter T Young 2 Comments

Dole Street

The beginning of the original Dole Street was just below the Punahou School campus and was part of a small subdivision of lots the school developed to raise money for the school’s endowment.

“In 1880 the ‘lower pasture,’ containing 31.3 acres, was divided into building lots, and streets laid out in it. The sale of these lots has added twenty-one thousand four hundred ($21,400.00) to the endowment.” (Alexander, 1907)

The Punahou Lots development was surveyed in 1880 by SE Bishop (Reg 848) – streets within the subdivision were named for prior leaders of the school.

Dole, Beckwith, Alexander and Bingham Streets, were named for prominent men associated with Punahou School.

Rev. Daniel Dole (1841-1854), Rev. Edward Griffin Beckwith (1854-1859) and William DeWitt Alexander (1864-1871), were initial and early leaders of the school.

Another street within the Punahou Lots development, Bingham, was named for Rev. Hiram Bingham, the initial recipient of the land grant, on behalf of the American Protestant mission, that eventually became Punahou School.

Apparently, some at the University of Hawaiʻi are trying “to restore Dole Street to its Hawaiian name” – suggesting Dole Street was originally named Kapaʻakea Street. (HNN)

“University of Hawaiʻi graduate student Kepoo Keliipaakaua found it on an 1882 survey map of the Mānoa area. Kapaʻakea means coral bedrock or limestone.” (HNN) The students also suggest the street was named for Sanford Dole.

That is not true. The history is clear; Dole Street was formed in 1880 by Punahou School and was named for Rev. Daniel Dole, the first teacher/administrator of Punahou (it was not named for Dole’s son, Sanford).

Regional maps from 1887, 1893, 1912 and 1923 (and others) show Dole Street and its subsequent extensions in the direction of where the University of Hawaiʻi is presently situated.

None of those early maps show any roads around or below where the UH is today (keep in mind the University didn’t make it to Mānoa until 1912); and none of these maps show a Kapaʻakea Street at all.

There is a 1934 map noting a short street as part of the St Louis Heights that Dole Street was proposed to extend to – however, that street in St Louis Heights was not named Kapaʻakea Street.

The ‘1882’ map noted by the UH students shows a notation for a road segment noted as Kapaʻakea Street – suggesting the road was there in 1882 (although all other mapping clearly note otherwise).

In addition, that ‘1882’ map also includes references on it dated in 1927, 1928 and 1930, suggesting edits made to the map over time.

Those edits relate to executive orders and other actions for the University – again, the UH campus wasn’t built until 1912 (well after the ‘date’ of the map).

Even an untrained, casual observer will see that the delineation of the ‘Kapaʻakea Street’, the printing of its name and the surrounding notations are in a different style than most of the other writing on the map.

So that map, over time, was obviously updated, although some suggest it carries only the 1882 time-reference.

And, it’s not clear when that text and portion of the map were put on the map; it is also not clear if Kapaʻakea Street was ever built.

In the broader area, there is a short road segment below King Street, generally running mauka-makai, called Kapaʻakea Lane; it is well removed from the University campus area and is (was) not possibly interconnected with Dole Street.

Some of the old maps note wetland area identified as Kapaʻakea. Kapaʻakea Spring was originally known as Kumulae Spring (later Hausten Spring/Pond). In 1944, the Willows Restaurant opened there.

As noted, starting in 1880, Dole Street in Mānoa was named for Rev. Daniel Dole, the initial teacher/administrator at Punahou School – other nearby streets in the Punahou Lots subdivision (below the existing Punahou campus) are named for other early school leaders.

Suggestions that the ‘original’ name of Dole Street was Kapaʻakea Street are simply wrong and not consistent with the clear history of the road and its subsequent extensions.

The image is a portion of an 1892 map of the area. It notes Dole Street and the Punahou Lots subdivision (on the left); note that there are no roads on the right, and definitely nothing labeled Kapaʻakea, other than the wetland. Check out the full story and multiple maps that show the same – Dole Street, but no Kapaʻakea Street below UH.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2017 Hoʻokuleana LLC

1887-Downtown and Vicinity-Map-portion
1887-Downtown and Vicinity-Map-portion
1892-Downtown_Honolulu-Map-portion
1892-Downtown_Honolulu-Map-portion
1912-HonoluluDoveRandMcNally-map-portion
1912-HonoluluDoveRandMcNally-map-portion
1923-Honolulu-and-Vicinity-Map
1923-Honolulu-and-Vicinity-Map
1934-Honolulu and Vicinity Map-portion
1934-Honolulu and Vicinity Map-portion
1949-Honolulu and Vicinity-Transit-Map-portion
1949-Honolulu and Vicinity-Transit-Map-portion
1950-Honolulu and Vicinity - Pearl Harbor to Hawaii Kai - DAGS-portion
1950-Honolulu and Vicinity – Pearl Harbor to Hawaii Kai – DAGS-portion
1882-Manoa_Valley-Baldwin-(DAGS)-Reg1068-portion
1882-Manoa_Valley-Baldwin-(DAGS)-Reg1068-portion
1882-Manoa_Valley-Baldwin-(DAGS)-Reg1068-portion-zoom to 1920s Exec Orders
1882-Manoa_Valley-Baldwin-(DAGS)-Reg1068-portion-zoom to 1920s Exec Orders
1880-Punahou Lots-(Reg0848)-portion
1880-Punahou Lots-(Reg0848)-portion
Daniel_Dole-1874
Daniel_Dole-1874

Filed Under: General, Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings Tagged With: Hawaii, Oahu, Missionaries, Punahou, Manoa, Daniel Dole, Dole Street

July 13, 2017 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Sailor’s Home and Seamen’s Institute

“Resolved, That the Petition for a lot of land for a Sailor’s Home be granted, provided it shall be a rule established in such home, and strictly enforced …”

“… That no intoxicating liquors shall be drunk on the promises; no women of lewd character admitted; no gambling allowed, nor any other disorder tolerated.” (By order of Privy Council, this 20th day of November, 1854.)

“One old sailor mentioned that he had been at sea for forty-two years and that this is the best sailor’s home he has ever known … we have now a Home and Institute that is much better fitted for our work, and is said by sailors to be the most homelike place of its kind that they have been in ’round the world.”

“Sailors from twenty nationalities were received from every class of vessel visiting the port: liners, army transports, America; and foreign cargo vessels, timber ships etc., and from these many interesting and encouraging details of successful work accomplished by Seamen’s Institutes in different parts of the world have been received …”

“… showing that the great chain of Seamen’s Missions of different Societies, by co-operation with one another, are having a steady and firm spiritual and moral influence upon the lives of those who go down to the sea in ships. (Superintendent’s Annual Report, 1921)

It opened September 11, 1856, “That little affair at the Sailor’s Home came off on Thursday, and if the house is ever again so full of merry laughter and innocent enthusiasts, it may congratulate itself upon being the scene of a second triumph.”

“We have not yet heard what the receipts were. If ever an institution was introduced to public notice under happy patronage it is the Sailor’s Home. Long may it flourish. (Polynesian, September 13, 1856)

The nearby Seamen’s Bethel Chapel was built by the American Seamen’s Friend Society of New York, in 1833, the materials having been shipped from New London, Ct, for Honolulu via Cape Horn. It was the first edifice for the public worship of English-speaking people, erected in Polynesia. It was open to both seamen and foreign residents. (Damon Memorial)

The Honolulu Sailor’s Home provided mariners with room and board at a reasonable price. In this building were the offices of “Hawaiian Board and Bible Society;” office of the Friend; the “Bible and Tract Depository,” and YMCA Reading Room. (Damon Memorial)

“One of the most important effects of such a well conducted boarding house for seamen was the speedy improvement of other lodgings in town for sailors, which ceased to be the disreputable dens which they had been.”

“The institution was fairly prosperous financially, under the administrations of a succession of stewards. The building was a three story one, of wood.”

“It came near being destroyed by the fire of 1886, and indeed was seriously damaged by explosives in an effort to destroy it, so that it remained unused until pulled down. It is of interest to know that its materials were used in constructing the house above Punchbowl street, now occupied by the Portuguese Mission.”

“In exchange for the land the Government gave some money and a spacious lot on the made ground between Richards and Alakea streets, just above the new Fish Market. On this lot, surrounded by a beautiful lawn, stands the new Sailors’ Home, finished a year ago, but only of late fairly in use for seamen.”

“In the front part of the lower story is a Library and Reading Room, also a Billiard room. In the rear of the west side are three living rooms for the Superintendent and his family. On the east side is dining room accommodating forty at table, and in its rear the pantry and kitchen with every facility to cook for a hundred men.”

“As just the person for this department has not yet been secured, seamen stopping at the Home for the present receive meal tickets on some good restaurant.”

“In the main seamen’s ward up-stairs are sixteen excellent iron beds with spring mattresses. A number of so-called ‘mate’s rooms’ also furnish private lodgings at low rates. Opening on the upper front veranda are a few more stylishly furnished apartments for captains and their friends.”

“This upper floor is supplied with every convenience, bath rooms, etc. All the rooms have incandescent lights. Grading of the adjacent streets will soon be completed, and that part of the town will become an attractive one.” (The Friend, April 1895)

It soon took on a partner, “When Bishop Nichols came here in April, 1902, to receive the transfer of the Anglican Church in Hawaii to the American Episcopal Church he consulted T. Clive Davies and others about starting a branch of the Seamen’s Church Institute in Honolulu.”

“The Sailors’ Home was lodging sailors and Captain Bray was managing it but it was not doing the work for seamen which the Seamen’s Institute does in its branches all over the world where British ships call.”

“Committees from each organization met and an agreement was reached to the effect that the Sailors’ Home would lease their land and building to the Seamen’s Institute for a nominal sum and that the Institute should carry on its work and that of the Home. This agreement was made in 1907.”

“Those who are not familiar with the many-sided work of the Seamen’s Institute have little idea of what is done in the building, and outside on ships … The sailor on shore, the world over, knows that he will find friends and brotherly treatment at a Seamen’s Institute.” (The Friend, June 1, 1933)

A summary in the Seaman’s Handbook for Shore Leave, 1920, gives a sense of the cost: “Seamen’s Homes. Sailors’ Home and Seamen’s Institute, Alakea St. Accommodations for about 25 officers and men. …”

“Rates per night, 25c and 50c; per week, $1.00 to $2.50, not including subsistence. Check-room, reading-room, writing-room, library, pool tables and indoor games; concerts and entertainments every week.” (Seaman’s Handbook for Shore Leave, 1920)

The Honolulu Sailor’s Home remains on Alakea (now a ground floor space in a Honolulu high-rise at 707 Alakea, near Nimitz) as a non-profit lodge for merchant seamen (rates start at $25 per night for a single room.) Their website notes they are accepting retired seamen to lodge for a duration of up to 3 months at any one time (with certain limitations).

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2017 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Honolulu_Sailor's_Home-Sketch of original 1855 building-WC-400
Honolulu_Sailor’s_Home-Sketch of original 1855 building-WC-400
Sailor's Home (Bethel) MissionHouses
Sailor’s Home (Bethel) MissionHouses
Sailor’s Home and Seamen’s Institute -1895(HonoluluTown)
Sailor’s Home and Seamen’s Institute -1895(HonoluluTown)
Sailor's Institute at Honolulu (AnglicanHistory)
Sailor’s Institute at Honolulu (AnglicanHistory)
'Good Luck' Off to Sea Again (AnglicanHistory)
‘Good Luck’ Off to Sea Again (AnglicanHistory)
Depositing Money for Safe Keeping (AnglicanHistory)
Depositing Money for Safe Keeping (AnglicanHistory)
Cadets USS Training Ship Brookdale (AnglicanHistory)
Cadets USS Training Ship Brookdale (AnglicanHistory)
A 'Sing' at Honolulu (AnglicanHistory)
A ‘Sing’ at Honolulu (AnglicanHistory)
A Happy Crowd and the Seamen's Institute in Honolulu (AnglicanHistory)
A Happy Crowd and the Seamen’s Institute in Honolulu (AnglicanHistory)
Bethel_Block-DAGS_Reg1158-1886-noting Sailors' Home
Bethel_Block-DAGS_Reg1158-1886-noting Sailors’ Home
Bethel's Church, Honolulu, Hawaii, founded in 1833 as Seamen's Bethel Church
Bethel’s Church, Honolulu, Hawaii, founded in 1833 as Seamen’s Bethel Church

Filed Under: General, Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks, Economy Tagged With: Sailor's Home, Hawaii, Honolulu, Oahu, Bethel Chapel

July 12, 2017 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Polar Bears

Polar bears are found across the Arctic. Polar bears do not live in Antarctica – penguins do (penguins almost exclusively live in the Southern Hemisphere.)

Polar bears are most abundant in areas with annual sea ice and productive ringed seal populations. There are five nations with polar bears: US (Alaska,) Canada, Russia, Greenland (Kingdom of Denmark) and Norway.

People often see illustrations of penguins and polar bears together, but this does not happen in the wild.

In fact, the word Arctic comes from the Greek word for bear, and Antarctic comes from the Greek meaning the ‘opposite of the Arctic’ or ‘opposite of the (great) bear.’ (Polar Bear International)

Polar bears are very strong swimmers, and their large front paws, which they use to paddle, are slightly webbed. Some polar bears have been seen swimming hundreds of miles from land – though they probably cover most of that distance by floating on sheets of ice.

Polar bears live in one of the planet’s coldest environments and depend on a thick coat of insulated fur, which covers a warming layer of fat. Fur even grows on the bottom of their paws, which protects against cold surfaces and provides a good grip on ice.

The bear’s stark white coat provides camouflage in surrounding snow and ice. But under their fur, polar bears have black skin—the better to soak in the sun’s warming rays. (National Geographic)

Click HERE for a link to a Polar Bear Tracker Map.

Whoa … wait, this isn’t about those polar bears …

This is about Hawai‘i’s semi-pro football team called the ‘Honolulu Polar Bears.’ (They were also and later known as the Hawaiian Vacation Team and, ultimately, the Honolulu Bears.)

Semi-professional football thrived on the islands for years, as early as the early-1920s. (Franks) Island semi-pro football existed in the 1930s. (Cisco)

In pre-WWII, the semi-pro Hawaii Senior Football League consisted of the University of Hawaii, the Na Aliʻis, the Healani Maroons and the Honolulu Bears. (UH played semipro teams to fill out their schedule.) (Ardolino)

“The (UH) Deans (later, the Rainbows) have always been the team to beat in the Honolulu Senior Football League. With but two exceptions the local championship has gone either to the Town Team or the University.” (Ka Palapala, 1932)

Doyle Nave, “star passer (and Rose Bowl star) on the Southern California grid squad the last two years (went to Honolulu) to coach and play on the Honolulu Polar Bears, a professional grid squad.” (LA Times, September 25, 1940)

Another notable Bear was Jackie Robinson, who had played two years at UCLA where he became the only athlete in school history to letter in four sports (football, baseball, basketball, and track.) Francis J Brickner signed him to the team.

However, he quit school with one semester to go to pursue an athletic career full-time. Finding that mainland pro teams had no place for African-American players, Robinson responded positively to Brickner’s offer of $100 per game. (GoldenRankings)

Robinson left for Hawaiʻi on September 11, 1941 to play for the Honolulu Polar Bears semi-professional football team. “FJ (Brick) Brickner, manager of the Hawaiian semipro team …”

“… has guaranteed the ex-Bruins full round-trip transportation, all expenses for two months and a job in a defense industry in return for six scheduled games with other Honolulu teams.” (LA Times, September 12, 1941)

There, Robinson worked part-time on a construction job near Pearl Harbor. The Bears won 2-games, Robinson played quarter back, half back, and returned punts.

However, an injured ankle hampered his performance, and the Bears won only two games. When the team closed its season on December 3 by losing to Healani 19-13, rain and wind limited the crowd to 550. On December 5, 1941, Jackie sailed for California. (GoldenRankings)

Hawai‘i’s first professional sports franchise debuted in 1946. The Hawaiian Warriors were members of the Pacific Coast Football League – rival to the National League and the All-American Conference.

Ben Dillingham formed the Hawaiian Athletic Corporation, modeled after the successful Green Bay Packer program, selling stock at $10 a share to Hawai‘i fans, giving fans ownership of the team.

On December 5, 1947, Honolulu Stadium was host to the last game in league history – Hawai‘i romped San Francisco 45-7 before a small crowd of 6,000. (Cisco)

(On April 15, 1947 Jackie Robinson started at first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers in their opening-day game against the Boston Braves. In so doing, he became the first African-American to play in the major leagues since an abortive attempt at integration in 1884. (Schwarz))

(Playing football was not Robinson’s only sports experience in Hawaiʻi; immediately following the 1956 Worlds Series (that the Dodgers lost to the Yankees,) on October 12, 1956, the Dodgers went on a Japan exhibition tour.)

(Along the way, Robinson and the Dodgers stopped for pre-tour exhibitions in Hawaii with games against the Maui All-Stars, the Hawaiian All-Stars and the Hawaiian champion Red Sox. (Jackie Robinson died on October 24, 1972 at the age of 53.))

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2017 Hoʻokuleana LLC

jackie_robinson-palama-pbs
jackie_robinson-palama-pbs

Filed Under: General, Prominent People, Economy Tagged With: Honolulu Polar Bears, Honolulu Bears, Doyle Nave, Hawaii, Jackie Robinson

July 11, 2017 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Oldest Living Object

“The school was opened at Punahou, July 11th, 1842, with fifteen scholars in attendance that day. During the first year there were thirty-four pupils, of whom fifteen were boarders, their ages varying from seven to twelve.”

“It was in that year (1842) that some of the pupils planted the old tamarind tree, which still stands in front of the ‘Rice Building.’” (Punahou Jubilee, 1891)

At the time of planting the tree was a seedling, about a year old. It descended from trees first brought to Hawai‘i in 1797 that were planted by Don Francisco de Paula Marin in Pauoa Valley. The species quickly became a favorite of early settlers and was planted on many old homesteads. (Punahou)

The tamarind tree is the oldest living object on the Punahou School campus. In those days, morning and evening student work supplied the school with corn and vegetables for the table. (Punahou)

“In the old time there was hardly less sunshine in the life at Punahou than at present. Nor was moral culture given in those times to the neglect of physical training.”

“The pupils were taught to labor; and their work brought good returns. Sometimes the labor was irksome; and boylike some of them would exclaim of the institution ‘Punahou-hoe-hoe.’”

“Sometimes the fruit produced was too carefully kept; and the refrain was ‘Bananas rot, which I have not.’ While the mission were obliged to practice strict economy, and were hardly able to bear the expense of starting the school, there were not the means to teach the manual arts, as there are hardly now the requisite means for such a purpose.” (Punahou Jubilee, 1891)

In 1941, Punahou prepared for its first centennial celebration; a Centennial Committee was formed. Great Great Granddaughter of Hiram and Sybil Bingham, Lydia Sutherland (my mother,) a graduate of the 1941 centennial class, served as the Student Chairman of the Centennial Committee.

“One hundred years ago a hot and tired woman, Sybil Bingham, bent under an unrelenting sun to pick up stones and pile them on a wall. She was doing her share of the work on a school for her children and the children of her fellow missionaries to the Sandwich Islands.”

“The whole story of the past century carries with it a message which we can take to heart. Faith attended the beginning of Punahou, faith that through knowledge might come understanding and from understanding a finer life. That same faith has led Punahou through the years, guiding its development, expansion and activity.” (The Friend, June 1, 1941)

“The occasion demands, however, a double vision. One looks backward over the past and gathers up the history of what has happened. To this man responds by honoring those who have labored so meritoriously and by giving heed to the lessons of success and failure experience teaches.”

“The other vision looks forward. It peers into the dark and unknown future, building into it a pathway upon which human beings may tread. Quite wisely have Punahou’s leaders looked both ways.” (The Friend, June 1, 1941)

“One Hundred Years, the Story of an Era, as this centennial pageant has been named, will be presented on a massive stage 175 feet long and 50 feet deep, which will he built on Alexander Field at Punahou School.” (The Friend, June 1, 1941)

One centennial event was in memory (and recognition of) the school’s tamarind tree – the Tamarind Derby, a centennial event that paid homage to the tamarind tree.

The Tamarind Derby was a gardening contest. It featured seedlings from the great tree that were distributed to Centennial attendees. Planted throughout O‘ahu, the seedlings were to be later measured to see who had grown the largest tree in one year’s time. (Punahou74)

The elementary children then brought out the year-old tamarind seedlings and placed them on the former Bingham Hall (1883 – 1959) lanai for sale while tamarind punch was served. (Punahou)

Those who bought the trees also bought the opportunity to compete in the “Tamarind Derby Race.” Entry was guaranteed for each registered seedling planted on the island of Oahu before July 31.

Annual tree inspections would be held for five years and prizes awarded to both the purchaser and the school’s Living Endowment fund for the best trees. A final inspection would be held in 1951 with $2,500 paid to Living Endowment in the name of the owner the winning tree.

But no derby winners would ever be named. With the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 more pressing matters came to occupy the minds of Hawai‘i’s people. (Punahou)

The derby was called off. On September 1, 1942 Dr. Shepard wrote to all derby entrants: “At the Centennial Celebration you kindly purchased a tamarind tree which was registered for the Tamarind Derby.”

“One of the conditions of the competition was that a written report be filed at the Punahou School office between May 1 and June 30, 1942, stating that the tree was ready for inspection. Since no one filed such report and since war conditions hinder or interfere so much with inspections, it has been decided to call off the race.”

“While we regret this necessity, we are pleased to announce that the Steward of the Race (Walter F. Dillingham) is contributing funds in addition to the $265.00 realized from the sale of trees to purchase $1,500.00 in War Bonds to be credited to the Scholarship Fund of Punahou School. We hope that this provision will be satisfactory to all who entered the Race.” (Punahou)

Punahou was quickly converted to wartime service. Immediately following the attack on Pearl Harbor, because a follow-on air attack was considered possible, Army Corps of Engineers Honolulu district engineer Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Wyman Jr moved his office from the Alexander Young Hotel to a preselected, less conspicuous location: the Tuna Packer’s Cannery at Kewalo Basin.

Realizing the vulnerability of the cannery, the district engineer sought a new headquarters location away from the coast. Faced
with the district’s increased construction work load, he needed a facility where he could immediately resume engineering operations.

The commanding general of the U.S. Army assumed the role of military governor. Shortly after midnight, only 18 hours after the Pearl Harbor attack, Wyman moved his headquarters to Punahou School.

A library room became the district engineer’s office; the reading room, the administrative office; the cleared book area was converted to sleeping spaces; and the basement became a temporary officers’ mess. The remaining district officers were set up in other buildings on campus. (Fitzgerald; HJH)

About two weeks after the attack, the small Pleasanton Hotel, across Punahou Street from the school, was rented to provide a larger mess and accommodations for military families prior to their evacuation to the Mainland. (Fitzgerald; HJH)

The tamarind tree still stands on the Punahou Campus, between Alexander Hall and Mamiya Science Center. (Punahou)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2017 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Tamarind tree on left, at School's first building, which was shaped like an 'E'-Punahou
Tamarind tree on left, at School’s first building, which was shaped like an ‘E’-Punahou
Tamarind Tree-Oldest Living Thing at Punahou-Punahou
Tamarind Tree-Oldest Living Thing at Punahou-Punahou
Punahou-Girls-Court-of-the-E-Building-1877
Punahou-Girls-Court-of-the-E-Building-1877
President Arthur Hauck with several grounds employees, harvesting tamarind pods during the 1920s-Punahou
President Arthur Hauck with several grounds employees, harvesting tamarind pods during the 1920s-Punahou
Seedling purchase tags from the 1941 -Tamarind Tree Derby Race'-Punahou
Seedling purchase tags from the 1941 -Tamarind Tree Derby Race’-Punahou
Dedication ceremony for the tamarind tree bench, a gift from the Class of 1941 for the Centennial celebrations-Punahou
Dedication ceremony for the tamarind tree bench, a gift from the Class of 1941 for the Centennial celebrations-Punahou
Punahou School, Photograph attributed to Charles Burgess-1866-E bldg to left-Old School Hall right
Punahou School, Photograph attributed to Charles Burgess-1866-E bldg to left-Old School Hall right
Punahou Centennial Plaque-Hawaiian Historical Society
Punahou Centennial Plaque-Hawaiian Historical Society
LSY-Punahou_Centennial_Committee
LSY-Punahou_Centennial_Committee
1940 Punahou Cheer'g Squad
1940 Punahou Cheer’g Squad

Filed Under: General, Schools Tagged With: Hawaii, Punahou, Oahu College, Tamarind Tree

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 454
  • 455
  • 456
  • 457
  • 458
  • …
  • 567
  • Next Page »

Images of Old Hawaiʻi

People, places, and events in Hawaiʻi’s past come alive through text and media in “Images of Old Hawaiʻi.” These posts are informal historic summaries presented for personal, non-commercial, and educational purposes.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Connect with Us

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent Posts

  • Japanese Contact
  • Ammo Tunnels
  • 250 Years Ago … Battle of Brooklyn
  • Missionary, Educator … Former Slave
  • Historic Downtown Hilo Walking Tour
  • Memorial Park
  • About 250 Years Ago … King Declares Colonies in Open Rebellion

Categories

  • Mayflower Summaries
  • American Revolution
  • General
  • Ali'i / Chiefs / Governance
  • Buildings
  • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
  • Hawaiian Traditions
  • Military
  • Place Names
  • Prominent People
  • Schools
  • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
  • Economy
  • Voyage of the Thaddeus

Tags

Albatross Al Capone Ane Keohokalole Archibald Campbell Bernice Pauahi Bishop Charles Reed Bishop Downtown Honolulu Eruption Founder's Day George Patton Great Wall of Kuakini Green Sea Turtle Hawaii Hawaii Island Hermes Hilo Holoikauaua Honolulu Isaac Davis James Robinson Kamae Kamaeokalani Kameeiamoku Kamehameha Schools Lalani Village Lava Flow Lelia Byrd Liberty Ship Liliuokalani Mao Math Mauna Loa Midway Monk Seal Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Oahu Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Pearl Pualani Mossman Quartette Thomas Jaggar Volcano Waikiki Wake Wisdom

Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hoʻokuleana LLC is a Planning and Consulting firm assisting property owners with Land Use Planning efforts, including Environmental Review, Entitlement Process, Permitting, Community Outreach, etc. We are uniquely positioned to assist you in a variety of needs.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Copyright © 2012-2024 Peter T Young, Hoʻokuleana LLC

Loading Comments...