Images of Old Hawaiʻi

  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Ali’i / Chiefs / Governance
    • American Protestant Mission
    • Buildings
    • Collections
    • Economy
    • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
    • General
    • Hawaiian Traditions
    • Other Summaries
    • Mayflower Summaries
    • Mayflower Full Summaries
    • Military
    • Place Names
    • Prominent People
    • Schools
    • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
    • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Collections
  • Contact
  • Follow

March 15, 2016 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Harold Melville Clark

Harold Melville Clark was born October 4, 1890, to Charles Asa Clark and Amanda Palmer Clark in St. Paul, Minnesota. The Clark family had a strong military tradition dating back to the Revolutionary War.

His father fought Spanish forces in the Philippines while assigned to Company E, 13th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, during the Spanish American War of 1898. Clark’s older brother, Charles, served as a field-artillery officer with the American Expeditionary Forces in Europe during World War I.

The end of the Spanish American War brought a period of growth and interest in the Philippines. In 1904, the Clarks moved to Manila, where they enjoyed considerable wealth and prestige due to the family’s business ventures. During this time, Harold attended the American High School in Manila; he graduated April 1, 1910.

Harold followed in his family’s footsteps and returned to the US for military training. After being commissioned as a second lieutenant in the cavalry in 1913, his first assignment was with 1st Cavalry Division.

A couple years later he transferred into the Signal Corps’ aviation section and went to the North Island Flying School in San Diego, Calif. On May 3, 1917, Clark received his rating as a junior military aviator.

While Clark was getting his Army wings, the Signal Corps’ aviation section and military aviation in general was getting a troublesome start in the Hawaiian Islands. The first Army airplanes, pilots and crews arrived in Oahu in July 1913. The planes were based at Fort Kamehameha, near present-day Hickam Air Force Base.

Lieutenant Harold Geiger, who commanded the aviation assets, noted his limited aircraft were in poor shape. His flights were limited to short flights in Pearl Harbor and a longer flight to Diamond Head and back to Fort Kamehameha.

Geiger was ordered to cease all flying operations in late 1913. The planes were sold locally, and the engines were sent back to the North Island Flying School. The Hawaiian Islands wouldn’t see any more Army aviation activity until 1917. (Romano; Arlington)

Major Harold Clark became Army Department Aviation Officer and arrived in the Territory of Hawaii in 1917 to take command of the Army’s 6th Aero Squadron.

A major construction effort was initiated at the new Army air base at Pearl Harbor. Before long, Ford Island had two double seaplane hangars with concrete ramps, two wooden land plane hangars, one small motor repair and machine shop, and a supply warehouse.

In the center to the south end a narrow strip of land was cleared for land plane operation. By this time, the 6th’s strength increased to 10 officers. (hawaii-gov)

Clark quickly began to learn the Hawaiian winds and how to fly in them. On March 15, 1918, he flew to Molokai and back to Oahu – the first round trip inter-island flight ever made in the Hawaiian Islands.

His next feat was to try a three-island flight. Agreeing to take the mail, on May 9, 1918, Clark and mechanic Sergeant Robert Gray took off from Fort Kamehameha Oahu and flew to Maui. (Griffith)

After landing in Maui, they continued onto the island of Hawai‘i; nearing Hawai‘i’s coastline, Clark encountered thick cloud formations and promptly lost his bearings. Darkness added to his worries, so the Army flyer decided to land quickly. His airplane crashed on the slope of Mauna Kea.

Unhurt, pilot and mechanic found themselves in a jungle-like brush with no civilization in sight. Hoping to draw attention to their location, the pair set a fire some distance away from the wreckage … no rescuers came, so they started to walk out. (Hawaii-gov)

Two days after the crash, Clark and Gray emerged from the jungle unhurt. Clark delivered the letters, received an enormous welcome from the island’s residents and was the first airman to fly the mail in the Hawaiian Islands. (Griffith)

Clark continued to make regular flights among the islands. However, he was ordered back to the US mainland August 28, 1918, for pursuit training at the North Island Flying School.

Following this, Clark assumed command of Pursuit Group, First Provisional Wing, at Minneola, Long Island, N.Y. Clark commanded this group for only a short time before being ordered to Panama at the end of 1918.

On the morning of May 2, 1919, Clark and two other aviators, Lieutenant JRL Hitt and Lieutenant Thomas Cecil Tonkin, left France Field for Balboa in an Army seaplane. While enroute, the plane developed engine problems, but the trio made it to Balboa safely.

That same afternoon, the three aviators began the return flight to France Field with Hitt at the controls. Due to the plane’s earlier troubles, the flight followed the Panama Canal at an altitude of 250 feet. Shortly into the flight, the plane’s engine stopped.

The plane crashed into the front of Miraflores Locks at about 5 pm. “The machine crumpled up like a house of cards, and the three men were thrown into the water of the lock. Lieutenant Tonkin was undoubtedly killed instantly by the twisting timbers of the machine.”

“… Major Clark sank to the bottom of the lock, and it’s not known whether he was killed in the crash or whether he drowned.” (Panama Star & Herald; Romano; Arlington)

Hitt was severely injured in the crash, but bystanders rescued him. The Army ruled his death as an accident due to internal injuries caused by “aeroplane traumatism,” according to a Defense Department report on Clark’s death dated May 8, 1919. Clark was buried May 29, 1919, with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.

The base in the Philippines that would eventually bear Clark’s name was established in 1902 as Fort Stotensberg. The Army used this installation as a cavalry post following the Spanish American War. During World War II, this base would be pivotal in the Army Air Force’s effort to win the air war against Japan.

Following the end of World War II and creation of the U.S. Air Force in 1947, Fort Stotensberg was renamed Clark Air Base. The US turned over possession of Clark Air Base to the Republic of the Philippines November 26, 1991. Clark Air Base is now an international airport serving the Philippines. (Romano; Arlington)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Maj_Harold_Melville_Clark
Maj_Harold_Melville_Clark
Harold_Melville_Clark-HS Diploma
Harold_Melville_Clark-HS Diploma
Harold_Melville_Clark-Junior Military Aviator Certificate
Harold_Melville_Clark-Junior Military Aviator Certificate
Harold_Melville_Clark
Harold_Melville_Clark
In 1918 Maj Harold Clark & Sgt Robert Gray flew a Curtiss R-6 seaplane (similar to this) on the first flight from Oahu to Big Island
In 1918 Maj Harold Clark & Sgt Robert Gray flew a Curtiss R-6 seaplane (similar to this) on the first flight from Oahu to Big Island
In 1918 Maj Harold Clark and Sgt Robert Gray survived a crash on Mauna Kea volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii
In 1918 Maj Harold Clark and Sgt Robert Gray survived a crash on Mauna Kea volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii
Cloudy slopes of Mauna Kea volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii, where Maj. Harold Clark crashed in 1918
Cloudy slopes of Mauna Kea volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii, where Maj. Harold Clark crashed in 1918
Harold Melville Clark gravestone
Harold Melville Clark gravestone
Clark Air Force Base
Clark Air Force Base

Filed Under: Military, Prominent People, Economy, General Tagged With: Hawaii, Mauna Kea, Flight, Army, Fort Kamehameha, Harold Melville Clark, Clark Air Force Base

March 10, 2016 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Naked Warriors

They were equipped only with swim fins, face mask and a slate board with a lead pencil on which to record intelligence gathered … their only weapon was a knife (thus, nearly defenseless or ‘naked;’) they were part of the Underwater Demolition Team (UDT.)

The Pacific Underwater Demolition Teams originated at Waimanalo Beach in December, 1943. (A ‘Naked Warrior’ monument commemorates their training at Bellows.)

On November 19, 1943, five thousand US Marines invaded Tarawa Island in the Gilbert Islands. Offshore coral reefs and other obstacles in the surf had resulted in many of the Marines drowning or being hit by enemy fire because their landing craft could not reach the beach.

Tarawa proved that troops should not be sent against enemy beaches until a thorough off-shore reconnaissance had been made.

To prevent a repetition of Tarawa it was necessary for trained personnel to search the water off the beaches and remove obstacles to make the passage from ship to shore nearly safe as possible. UDTs were organized in the Pacific following the Tarawa invasion.

UDT-1 and UDT-2 (each with about 15-officers and 150-enlisted men) were formed at Amphibious Training Base (ATB) Waimanalo, which was situated in proximity of today’s Bellows Air Force Station (AFS.) (By the end of the war, there were 34 UDTs.)

War planners realized success would require massive and numerous beach attacks from Africa to Normandy to hundreds of islands in the Pacific. Every one of those beaches was defended by an intricate network of underwater obstacles, booms, mines, chains and barriers.

Some were straight angled pillars and some were L-shaped, X-shaped and H-shaped “hedgehogs” that functioned even when knocked over. The obstacles could rip the bottom out of landing craft and often were topped by “teller” mines, flat plate-shaped explosives (“teller” is German for “plate.”)

Initially, about thirty officers and one-hundred and fifty men trained in underwater demolition work at Waimanalo. The original teams were comprised of men from the Navy, Army and Marine Corps.

After their first combat deployment in January-February 1944, UDT training was moved to Kihei, Maui, because Waimanalo didn’t have the space or facilities needed for demolition training.

The Naval Combat Demolition Training and Experimental Base, Maui was set up on the beach near the pier of the Kamaole Amphibious Training Base. (A monument commemorating UDT-14 is at Kamaole Beach Park I, in Kihei.)

Some of the first to go ashore in combat were 6-man units, called Navy Combat Demolition Units; divers located obstacles, mapped lines of attack, disarmed mines and demolished natural and man-made beach blockages.

During their early missions, Navy combat swimmers were completely clothed in combat uniforms, boots and metal helmets. That changed during a mission in preparation for the invasion of the Japanese held atoll of Kwajalein in January 1944.

Ordered to conduct a reconnaissance mission to assess beach conditions in advance of the planned assault, the two man team of Ensign Lewis F. Luehrs and Chief Petty Officer Bill Acheson could not get close enough to shore because of a coral reef.

They stripped to their underwear and swam over the reef to complete the mission undetected, becoming the first “Naked Warriors.”

Following the success of that mission, training emphasized strong swimming skills and operating without the use of lifelines, wearing only face masks, swim trunks and fins.

Underwater Demolition Teams were the foremost precursors of today’s Navy SEALs (starting on the windward coast of Oʻahu, in Waimanalo.)

The concept for development of an improved “Naval Guerrilla/Counter-guerrilla Warfare” capability within the US Navy was delineated in a March 10, 1961 Navy memorandum of recommendations.

Included was a recommendation for a wide range of “additional unconventional warfare capabilities within, or as an extension of our amphibious forces.”

The same memorandum stated that, “An appropriate name for such units could be ‘SEAL’ units, SEAL being a contraction of SEA, AIR, LAND, and thereby indicating an all-around, universal capability.” (Navy)

A bronze “Naked Warrior” statue greets visitors at the Navy UDT-SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce, Florida. (Lots of information here is from Navy and Navy UDT-SEAL Museum.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Pencil drawing displaying NCDU men at Omaha Beach, Normandy, France on D-Day, June 6th, 1944
Pencil drawing displaying NCDU men at Omaha Beach, Normandy, France on D-Day, June 6th, 1944
Naked Warrior in water
Naked Warrior in water
Naked Warrior-First_Trainees_FT_Pierce_1943
Naked Warrior-First_Trainees_FT_Pierce_1943
Naked_Warriors
Naked_Warriors
Naked Warrior
Naked Warrior
Naked Warrior-under water
Naked Warrior-under water
Naked Warriors-on beach
Naked Warriors-on beach
Naked Warrior-setting charges
Naked Warrior-setting charges
Naked Warrior-setting charges training
Naked Warrior-setting charges training
Underwater Demolition Team 14 -Kihei Maui
Underwater Demolition Team 14 -Kihei Maui
Naked Warriors
Naked Warriors
Naked Warrior-monument-Bellows
Naked Warrior-monument-Bellows
UDT-14 Memorial-Kamaole_1-Kihei, Maui-600
UDT-14 Memorial-Kamaole_1-Kihei, Maui-600
Naked Warrior-plaque-Bellows
Naked Warrior-plaque-Bellows
Naked Warrior UDT WWII _ National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum
Naked Warrior UDT WWII _ National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum
Underwater_Demolition_Teams_shoulder_sleeve_patch
Underwater_Demolition_Teams_shoulder_sleeve_patch
USN_-_UDTBadge
USN_-_UDTBadge

Filed Under: Military Tagged With: Hawaii, Naked Warriors, SEAL, Navy

February 27, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Henry Ho‘olulu Pitman

“Henry Pitman, the first of Hawai‘i’s sons to fall in the war, died at Annapolis Parole Camp, Union army. His remains were deposited in Mt Auburn Cemetery, near Boston, Massachusetts, his memory be embalmed among our band. … He died in a just cause.” (HMCS)

Timothy Henry Hoʻolulu Pitman, born March 18, 1845, in Hilo, was the eldest son of High Chiefess Kinoʻole-o-Liliha (Kinoʻole) of Hilo and Benjamin Pitman, originally from Boston (his siblings were Mary and Benjamin.)

“(Kinoʻole) was a daughter of Hoʻolulu, a famous chief in the time of Kamehameha the Great. Hoʻolulu and Ulumāheihei (afterwards converted to Christianity and renamed Hoapili-Kane by the missionaries, and first governor of Maui) took the body of Kamehameha at his death and hid it in the caves at Kaloko fish ponds, according to Hawaiian custom with great chiefs.”

“The Chiefess Kinoʻole who married Benjamin Pitman, senior, lived for many years in a mansion on the spot where the Hilo Hotel now stands. Pitman, is a first cousin of the late George Beckley, for many years purser and director with the Inter-island Steamship Company. Beckley’s mother was Kinoiki, sister of Chiefess Kino‘ole.” (Star-Bulletin, December 26, 1916)

His father “came here in about 1833, and ran a general merchandise store on one corner of the present Hotel grounds, the family homestead being located where the Hotel is now located.” (Hilo Tribune, February 14, 1905)

Henry’s father, “ became very wealthy out of the then flourishing whale business, which was centered around the Islands, and … (became) the king’s representative on Hawaii, having charge of all the royal, crown and public lands here.”

“He acquired considerable property, owning the whole of the Puueo tract of 2,500 acres, and also about 300 acres of the Ponohawai tract, commencing just above Pleasant Street and running 2 miles up the Kaumana Road.”

“As Pitman’s business increased he built a new store on the comer of Front and King Streets, where the Ick Sing Company is now located, and continued in business there until 1861 when he sold to Capt. Spencer.”

“His store and that of Geo. More, located where the Coney House now stands, were the only two stores in the village during the lava flow of 1840, when night was as bright as day in Hilo.”

“Pitman Street (what is now the segment of Kinoʻole Street between Waianuenue Avenue and Haili (then called Church) Street, where the Hotel is located is named after this early pioneer.” (Hilo Tribune, February 14, 1905)

Henry Pitman’s mother died in 1855; “His hair was jet black, his eyes large and lustrous, his face swarthy, and from the ambrotypes shown us of the princess, his mother, he strongly resembled her whom he mourned”. (Parker)

His father later married Maria Louisa (Walsworth) Kinney, widow of missionary Henry Kinney. She died in Hilo on March 6, 1858.

His father decided to leave the islands and returned to Massachusetts with the children around 1860. Henry continued his education in the public schools of Roxbury, Boston, where the Pitman family lived for a period of time. Then, the Civil War.

“His resolve was made. He would enlist.” (Carter) On August 14, 1862, Pitman left school without his family’s knowledge and volunteered to serve in the Union Army and fight in the American Civil War.

A member of Co. H, 22nd Regt. Mass. Vols., he was with his Regiment in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam and Sharpsburg. (Pitman Gravestone)

“Among our number, however, we had noticed a tall, slim boy, straight as an arrow. His face was a perfect oval, his hair was as black as a raven’s wing, and his eyes were large and of that peculiar soft, melting blackness, which excites pity when one is in distress.”

“His skin was a clear, dark olive, bordering on the swarthy, and this, with his high cheek bones, would have led us to suppose that his nationality was different from our own, had we not known that his name was plain Henry P– .” (Carter)

“There was an air of good breeding and refinement about him, that, with his small hands and feet, would have set us to thinking, had it not been that in our youth and intensely enthusiastic natures, we gave no thought to our comrades’ personal appearance.”

“(T)he tears trembled upon his long, dark lashes, and rolled down the swarthy cheeks of the boy soldier. As we hastened along the hard Warrenton turnpike, on this 18th day of November, on our march to the ‘Spotted Tavern,’ every step seemed accompanied by a groan of fatigue or exhaustion, from the worn and weary men.” (Carter)

“It was long and terribly exhausting march. It rained nearly every day. In vain did the water-soaked, drowned-out men try to dry out their clothes and cleanse the mud from their persons, now filthy from long neglect.”

“We wallowed and floundered along the boggy roads the wagons stalled the mules, no longer able to scarcely drag the wagons, lay down in their harness, many of them to die. The teamsters cursed and swore, and the columns staggered along.” (Parker)

“Private Henry Pitman, Company H, asked member of the company if he would fall out with him as he was sick, and his feet, from wearing tight boots, were blistered and unfit for marching, and his comrade consented to do so.”

“A fire was started, coffee put on to boil, and the rear of the column had nearly passed, when it was decided that without authority to fall out, even to care for sick man, arrest or disastrous consequences might result, and the comrade determined to move on.”

“Pitman was urged to make further effort and go into camp, but he positively refused to budge until his poor sick body was rested from the exhausting efforts of the day’s march.”

“Leaving him as comfortable as possible, his comrade joined the rear of the column, and struggling to the head joined the Twenty-second, and went into camp an hour later. Pitman was never heard from, and was always borne upon the rolls as missing.” (Parker)

Pitman was taken prisoner by Stuart’s cavalry on the march to Fredricksburg. “He was sent to Libby Prison, and not being strong, contracted still further the chronic disease”. (Parker)

He was part of a prisoner exchange and paroled to a camp in Annapolis, Maryland. “The men who arrived there from Southern prisons ‘were in pitiable condition of mind and body, having experienced extreme suffering.’” (Dye)

“(H)e was confined in a place he called the ‘Pen’ which undoubtedly refers to the Andersonville Stockade where thousands of Union soldiers were starved to death while under gard. In one of his letters Henry Pittman tells of the filthy meat thrown to them as if they were dogs.” (Hawaiian Gazette, June 28, 1910)

Then, the sad news … “We regret to learn by the last mail of the death of Henry Pitman, son of Benj. Pitman, Esq formerly of Hilo. He died at the Annapolis Parole Camp, Feb. 27th, of lung fever, having been serving as soldier in the Union army.”

“He was about 20 years of age (17-years, 11-months and 9 days,) and his remains were deposited in Mt. Auburn Cemetery, near Boston Mass.” (Pacific Commercial Advertiser, May 28, 1863)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman,_Peabody_Essex_Museum
Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman,_Peabody_Essex_Museum
Henry Hoolulu Pitman
Henry Hoolulu Pitman
Mary_Ann_and_Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman
Mary_Ann_and_Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman
Mrs._Benjamin_Pitman_(High_Chiefess_Kinoole-o-Liliha)-1849
Mrs._Benjamin_Pitman_(High_Chiefess_Kinoole-o-Liliha)-1849
Benjamin_Pitman_(Hawaii)
Benjamin_Pitman_(Hawaii)
Hilo_Hotel-(DMY)-1891
Hilo_and_Vicinity-Baldwin-Reg1561-1891
Hilo_and_Vicinity-Baldwin-Reg1561-1891
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone

Filed Under: Military, Prominent People Tagged With: Hawaii, Civil War, Timothy Henry Hoolulu Pitman

January 8, 2016 by Peter T Young 2 Comments

Mule Tunnel

With its panoramic view from Koko Head to Waiʻanae, the summit of Diamond Head was an ideal site for the coastal defense of O‘ahu. In 1904, Diamond Head was purchased by the Federal government and designated for military use.

In 1906, Secretary of War William H Taft convened the National Coast Defense Board (Taft Board) “to consider and report upon the coast defenses of the United States and the insular possessions (including Hawai‘i.)” They recommended a system of Coast Artillery batteries to protect Pearl Harbor and Honolulu.

Fortification of Diamond Head began in 1908 with the construction of gun emplacements and an entry tunnel through the north wall of the crater from Fort Ruger known as the Mule Tunnel.

Originally, the tunnel was 5-feet wide and 7-feet high which is what was required for mules. Mules were used primarily to pull narrow gauge rail cars loaded with material in and out of the crater and to the various construction points.

Fort Ruger Military Reservation was established at Diamond Head (Leʻahi) in 1906. The Reservation was named in honor of Major General Thomas H. Ruger, who served from 1871 to 1876 as the superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point.

The trail to the Diamond Head summit was built in 1908 as part of the US Army Coastal Artillery defense system. Entering the crater from Fort Ruger, through the Mule Tunnel, the trail scaled the steep interior western slopes of the crater to the summit.

The dirt trail with numerous switchbacks was designed for mule and foot traffic. The mules hauled materials on this trail for the construction of Fire Control Station Diamond Head located at the summit. Other materials were hoisted from the crater floor by a winch and cable to a midway point along the trail. (DLNR)

In about 1910, there was a narrow gauge railway running from the mule tunnel across the center of the crater

Between 1909-1921, the Hawaiian Coast Artillery Command had its headquarters at Fort Ruger and defenses included artillery regiments stationed at Fort Armstrong, Fort Barrette, Fort DeRussy, Diamond Head, Fort Kamehameha, Kuwa‘aohe Military Reservation (Fort Hase – later known as Marine Corps Base Hawaiʻi) and Fort Weaver.

The forts and battery emplacements were dispersed for concealment and to insure that a projectile striking one would not thereby endanger a neighbor.

The fort included Battery Harlow (1910-1943 – northern exterior;) Battery Hulings (1915-1925- (tunnels through crater wall;) Battery Dodge (1915-1925 – tunnels through east crater wall;) Battery Mills (1916-1925 – on Black Point;) Battery Birkhimer (1916-1943 – mostly below ground inside the crater;) Battery Granger Adams (1935-1946 – on Black Point (replaced Battery Mills;)) Battery 407 (1944 – tunnels through south crater wall;) and Battery Ruger (1937-1943).

In 1922, Mule Tunnel was enlarged to 15 feet wide by 14 feet high. A Fire Control Switchboard that had been in a shed outside the tunnel was moved into a room carved into the wall about 100 feet from the outside end. (Its name later changed to the Kapahulu Tunnel.)

The headquarters of the Harbor Defenses of Honolulu came to Fort Ruger in January 1927. In 1932 work began on a bombproof Harbor Defense Command Post (HDCP or “H” Station) built into the Kapahulu Tunnel.

During the widening of the tunnel, a larger cavern was cut into the wall of the tunnel at the downhill end, creating rooms for a Harbor Defense Command Post.

The new complex of eight rooms included the old fire control switchboard room and became the Harbor Defense Command Post. (Those rooms are now used by the Hawaii Red Cross as storage.)

In 1932 the tunnel was enlarged again, to 17 feet high to allow truck traffic. During the widening a larger cavern was cut into the wall of the tunnel at the downhill end, creating rooms for a Harbor Defense Command Post.

The Kahala Tunnel was built in the 1940s and is the public entrance today. (The Kapahulu Tunnel is used only when the Kahala Tunnel is closed for repairs or problems.)

In January 1950 Fort Ruger became the headquarters of the Hawaii National Guard. In 1955 most of the Fort Ruger reservation was turned over to Hawaii with the U.S. Army retaining the parade and Palm Circle until 1974 and the Cannon Club (officers’ club) until 1997.

The fort’s barracks area became the University of Hawaii’s Kapiʻolani Community College. (Lots of information is from DiamondHeadHike.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Diamond_Head-Mule-Team-StarAdv
Diamond_Head-Mule-Team-StarAdv
Kapahulu_Tunnel-diamondheadhike
Kapahulu_Tunnel-diamondheadhike
Originally Harbor Defense Command Post offices, now Red Cross Storage-diamondheadhike
Originally Harbor Defense Command Post offices, now Red Cross Storage-diamondheadhike
Brian Miyamoto of Hawaii Civil Defense and Denby Fawcett walk through the Kapahulu or Mule Tunnel-StarAdv
Brian Miyamoto of Hawaii Civil Defense and Denby Fawcett walk through the Kapahulu or Mule Tunnel-StarAdv
Old Mule trail - now hike to summit
Old Mule trail – now hike to summit
Old Mule trail-now hike to summit
Old Mule trail-now hike to summit
Hike to summit
Hike to summit
Near summit
Near summit
Kahala Tunnel
Kahala Tunnel
Tunnel on hike to summit
Tunnel on hike to summit
Ft_Ruger-1938
Ft_Ruger-1938
State Monument interpretive sign
State Monument interpretive sign
Diamond_Head_State_Park-Summit_Trail-map
Diamond_Head_State_Park-Summit_Trail-map
Fort_Ruger_1922_Main_Post_Plan-WC
Fort_Ruger_1922_Main_Post_Plan-WC
Fort_Ruger_Harbor Defense Command Post (HDCP)
Fort_Ruger_Harbor Defense Command Post (HDCP)
Diamond_Head_State_Park-Master_Plan-Layout
Diamond_Head_State_Park-Master_Plan-Layout

Filed Under: Military Tagged With: Hawaii, Leahi, Diamond Head, Coastal Defense, Kapahulu Tunnel, Mule Tunnell, Kahala Tunnel

December 28, 2015 by Peter T Young 8 Comments

Haleiwa Airfield

The date of construction of the Haleiwa airfield has not been determined. The earliest depiction of the field which has been located was a 1933 aerial photo, which depicted a group of B-6A biplanes on a grass field.

Haleiwa Field on the northwest coast of Oahu, 30-miles from Honolulu, was originally (prewar) a center for private flying.

“On the 3rd of December 1941 the 47th Pursuit Squadron was assigned to this base …. This was not a regular runway, just something comparable to an old country road rather than an airstrip. (HIAVPS)

Originally used as an emergency landing field, it had only an unpaved landing strip. Those on temporary duty there had to bring their own tents & equipment.

On December 7, 1941, combined forces of the Japanese Imperial Navy struck at Naval and Army installations on Oahu – and the secondary target was the fleet of American aircraft scattered about the island, aircraft that could disrupt the aerial assault and then follow the fleeing Japanese back to their carriers.

The first targets hit were the airfields: Wheeler, Kaneohe, Ewa, Hickam, Ford Island, Bellows and the civilian airport serving Honolulu. In the strafing and bombing, scores of American aircraft were destroyed in a few minutes. The Imperial bombers could then concentrate on the American fleet at Pearl Harbor.

Haleiwa Field earned its place in history when it became the only airfield able to provide defense against the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Japanese heavily strafed the aircraft at Wheeler Field and few aircraft were able to get airborne to fend them off. Haleiwa was an auxiliary field to Wheeler and contained a collection of aircraft temporarily assigned to the field including aircraft from the 47th Pursuit Squadron.

A total of eight Curtiss P-40 Kitty Hawk and 2 Curtiss P-36 Mohawk pursuit planes were at the field on the morning of 7 December 1941.

Lt. George S. Welch (heir to the grape juice family) and 2nd Lt. Kenneth M. Taylor (on his first assignment,) both P-40 pilots, were at Wheeler when the attack began.

They had previously flown their P-40B fighters over to the small airfield at Haleiwa as part of a plan to disperse the squadron’s planes away from Wheeler.

Not waiting for instructions the pilots called ahead to Haleiwa and had both their fighters fueled, armed and warmed up. Both men raced in their cars to Haleiwa Field completing the 16-mile trip in about 15 minutes.

With their P-40s, now warmed up and ready, they jumped into their cockpits. The crew chiefs informed them that they should disperse their planes. “The hell with that”, said Welch. Ignoring the usual pre-takeoff checklists the aircraft took off down the narrow airstrip.

Once in the air they spotted a large number of aircraft in the direction of Ewa and Pearl Harbor. Only then did they realize what they were up against. “There were between 200 and 300 Japanese aircraft,” said Taylor; “there were just two of us!”

The two P-40s engaged the aircraft attacking Ewa Mooring Mast and shot down five Japanese planes. They then returned to Wheeler to replenish their ammunition. While there, another wave of dive bombers appeared and Lt. Taylor raced back into the air. His P-40’s cockpit was damaged as a Japanese plane chased him.

Lt. Welch was able to down the plane following him and they both returned back to Wheeler. Lt. Welch was credited with a total of four Japanese planes shot down and Lt. Taylor downed two.

Just as suddenly as it began, the sky was empty of enemy aircraft. Both are credited with being the first “Aces” of World War II. Taylor & Welch were both awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. Walsh & Taylor’s dramatic ride & takeoff was shown in the movie Tora, Tora, Tora. (Trojan)

The Army improved the field during the early part of World War II and it was in use to simulate real battle conditions for gunnery training. In 1944 the Navy took the field over for carrier-landing training.

After the war Haleiwa Fighter Strip was apparently reused as a civilian airport for some period of time. Haleiwa was depicted as a civilian airport on the 1947 Hawaiian Islands Sectional Chart.

It was described as having a 4,800′ hard-surface runway. The Haleiwa Airport was apparently abandoned at some point between 1947-1961, as it was not depicted at all on the 1961 Honolulu Sectional Chart. (Trojan)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2015 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Haleiwa_Airfield
Haleiwa Field, September 7, 1941
Haleiwa Field, September 7, 1941
Haleiwa Field, September 4, 1941
Haleiwa Field, September 4, 1941
Haleiwa-Airfield
Haleiwa-Airfield
Haleiwa_HI_43-44_A-24
Haleiwa_HI_43-44_A-24
Bell P-39 aircraft at Haleiwa Field 1943-1944
Bell P-39 aircraft at Haleiwa Field 1943-1944
Haleiwa_HI_42-43_NW_P-40s
Haleiwa_HI_42-43_NW_P-40s
Haleiwa_HI_42_overhead
Haleiwa_HI_42_overhead
Haleiwa_HI_40s_P-47
Haleiwa_HI_40s_P-47
Haleiwa_HI_40s_P-40
Haleiwa_HI_40s_P-40
P-39 in background
P-39 in background
Haleiwa Field, August 20, 1942
Haleiwa Field, August 20, 1942
Haleiwa Field, 1942.
Haleiwa Field, 1942.
with A-24 and 2 PQ-8A target aircraft.
with A-24 and 2 PQ-8A target aircraft.
4 Bell P-39s fly over Haleiwa Field as maintenance work progresses at left.
4 Bell P-39s fly over Haleiwa Field as maintenance work progresses at left.

Filed Under: Military Tagged With: North Shore, Haleiwa Airfield, Hawaii, Haleiwa

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • 43
  • 44
  • Next Page »

Images of Old Hawaiʻi

People, places, and events in Hawaiʻi’s past come alive through text and media in “Images of Old Hawaiʻi.” These posts are informal historic summaries presented for personal, non-commercial, and educational purposes.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Connect with Us

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent Posts

  • Eleanora and Fair American
  • Hawaiian Acres
  • Carlotta
  • Mea ‘Ono Pua‘a
  • Kaukahoku
  • Alsoberry Kaumualiʻi Hanchett
  • Evelaina

Categories

  • American Revolution
  • General
  • Ali'i / Chiefs / Governance
  • Buildings
  • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
  • Hawaiian Traditions
  • Military
  • Place Names
  • Prominent People
  • Schools
  • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
  • Economy
  • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Mayflower Summaries

Tags

Albatross Al Capone Ane Keohokalole Archibald Campbell Bernice Pauahi Bishop Charles Reed Bishop Downtown Honolulu Eruption Founder's Day George Patton Great Wall of Kuakini Green Sea Turtle Hawaii Hawaii Island Hermes Hilo Holoikauaua Honolulu Isaac Davis James Robinson Kamae Kamaeokalani Kameeiamoku Kamehameha Schools Lalani Village Lava Flow Lelia Byrd Liberty Ship Liliuokalani Mao Math Mauna Loa Midway Monk Seal Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Oahu Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Pearl Pualani Mossman Quartette Thomas Jaggar Volcano Waikiki Wake Wisdom

Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hoʻokuleana LLC is a Planning and Consulting firm assisting property owners with Land Use Planning efforts, including Environmental Review, Entitlement Process, Permitting, Community Outreach, etc. We are uniquely positioned to assist you in a variety of needs.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Copyright © 2012-2024 Peter T Young, Hoʻokuleana LLC

 

Loading Comments...