Images of Old Hawaiʻi

  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Ali’i / Chiefs / Governance
    • American Protestant Mission
    • Buildings
    • Collections
    • Economy
    • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
    • General
    • Hawaiian Traditions
    • Other Summaries
    • Mayflower Summaries
    • Mayflower Full Summaries
    • Military
    • Place Names
    • Prominent People
    • Schools
    • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
    • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Collections
  • Contact
  • Follow

November 20, 2021 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Saint Anthony School, Wailuku, Maui

St. Anthony of Padua Church in Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii was established by the Fathers of the Order of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, whose arrival from France on July 7, 1827, marked the start of the Catholic Mission in Hawaii.

Saint Anthony of Padua was born in Lisbon, Portugal on August 15, 1195. He came from a wealthy family who did not support his desire to enter into religious life. He became a Franciscan friar in 1221 and joined the order in hopes of spreading God’s Word to the people of Morocco in spite of facing a possible martyr’s death.

Instead, he became a respected teacher and orator who gained fame for his miracles. He was a holy man who had apparitions of the Infant Jesus and of St. Francis of Assisi. This is why he is often depicted holding the baby Jesus in his arms.

He is a patron saint of the poor and oppressed and is often invoked as a finder of “lost articles and missing persons”. He died in Padua, Italy on June 13, 1231, at the age of 36 and was canonized a saint less than a year later. He was declared a Doctor of the Church by Pope Pius XII in 1946.

After more than two decades of political and social upheaval as well as religious persecution, the first High Mass was celebrated at St. Anthony in Wailuku on July 13, 1848 in a thatched structure.

Beginning in 1848, St. Anthony School grew from a one-room schoolhouse erected by the Sacred Heart’s Fathers on the grounds of St. Anthony Church.

In 1854, St. Anthony was built in wood to replace the native church. It was reported that 6000 baptisms were recorded on Maui that year.

In 1858-59, King Kamehameha IV deeded 16 acres of land in Wailuku to Bishop Louis Maigret and on May 3, 1873, under the direction of Father Lenore Fouesnel, SS.CC., the third church (now in stone) that took six years to build, was blessed.

It is said that it was at this event that Father Damien de Veuster SS.CC, made his commitment to go to Kalaupapa Leprosy Settlement and thus, began his remarkable journey to sainthood.

Founded in 1873, St. Anthony Grade School is a Catholic Parish co-educational school offering a Kindergarten to Fifth Grade education.

The Brothers of Mary had founded the Wailuku School for Boys in 1883 at the invitation of the Sacred Heart’s Fathers and staffed what later would become St. Anthony Junior-Senior High School.

The church building continued to be improved and expanded over the years. In 1919, it was remodeled into a gothic style with a sanctuary, semi-rotund baptistery and bell tower. In 1940, it was enlarged on both sides under the direction of Father Bruno Bens and stood majestically as a major landmark in Wailuku for over a century.

The Sacred Hearts Fathers (SSCC), established St. Anthony parish school in 1883. On September 5, 1883, the Society of Mary (Marianists) arrived in Wailuku and initiated the beginning of their long years of service to the parish and school. The first of three Brothers opened the school September 10, 1883.

The Franciscan Sisters of Syracuse, New York, staffed the girls’ school beginning in 1884. The Maryknoll Sisters, began teaching at St. Anthony in 1928 at the request of Bishop Alencastre. Dedicated lay persons assisted in the teaching beginning September 1958.

Chaminade and Damien Hall were erected in 1925. It houses the school administrative offices as well as ten classrooms and two computer labs.

Maryknoll Hall was built in 1940 and encompasses eight classrooms, an art studio, and counseling offices. Marian Hall, the cafeteria, was built in 1959.

The Bishop Sweeny Memorial Library was built in 1965. The library was renovated in 2002 and now houses the Harry C. and Nee Chang Wong Media Center. The science facility was completed in 1967. The science labs were completely renovated and rededicated as the E. L. Weigand Science Building in 2005. (St Anthony School)

In 1968 the school became coeducational and the junior high was added in 1971. Today, St. Anthony School is the only Catholic School on the island of Maui that ranges from Preschool to High School.

In 1976, the Society of Mary (Marianists) assumed leadership of St. Anthony Parish from the Sacred Heart Fathers. A year later, on November 1, 1977, the historic church was destroyed by an early morning fire set by an arsonist.

The present, modern structure was dedicated on June 13, 1980, St. Anthony’s feast day, just three years after the tragic fire. (St Anthony Maui)

It is a diocesan, coeducational institution under the Bishop of Honolulu, governed by the St. Anthony School Board, and sponsored by the members of the Society of Mary (Marianists).

© 2021 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Filed Under: Schools Tagged With: St Anthony, Maui, Wailuku

September 6, 2019 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Bailey House

The Bailey House was originally built as a parsonage for the ministers of the Wailuku Church.  The house is a combination of four structures built between 1835 and 1850.

The original portion was built in 1833 by Reverend Jonathan Green and is a two-story lava stone structure measuring approximately 30’ x 20’ with 20” thick walls.  A high pitched gable roof is covered with wood shingles.

At about the same time (1833), a single story lava stone cookhouse was constructed slightly uphill from the living area.  The single room is dominated by a large fireplace and oven flush with the interior wall.  The mass of the oven structure projects beyond the north wall.

The lower floor is built partially into the side of a hill with the walls retaining the earth on the uphill side.

In 1837 a single story lava stone structure with a basement was built for Miss Ogden, a teacher for the girls’ school in Wailuku.

Edward Bailey was a Protestant missionary from Holden, Massachusetts.  Prior to their marriage, Edward attended Amherst College and Caroline was a tailoress.

He and his wife Caroline Hubbard Bailey sailed from Boston on the barq, ‘Mary Frazier,’ on December 14, 1836.  They arrived in Honolulu April 9, 1837.

They were married only two weeks when they left Massachusetts.  Caroline was pregnant with son Edward upon their arrival in Hawaii.

Not long after their arrival, the couple was transferred to Wailuku to head the Wailuku Female Seminary in 1837.  The Seminary was the counterpart to the boy’s institution at Lahainaluna, serving some 50 girls age five to 12.

Seminary girls learned the traditional lessons in Hawaiian and were also taught to sew, spin and crochet. They also would work an hour a day in their own garden plots.

Bailey worked at the Wailuku Female Seminary in Maui from 1840 until its closure in 1849.  At that time he purchased a fee simple title to the Girls’ boarding school, the house and lot, and began his interest in what was to become Wailuku Sugar Company.

As noted by Mary Brewster in 1847, “Mr. Bailey has a very fine house with a beautiful garden handsomely laid and of considerable extent. T he most beautiful place I have ever seen.”

“All kinds of trees such as the fig, banana, guava, citron and a number of our own species which he is trying to cultivate. Flowers of all kinds which will grow here with exotics, vines, and shrubs, all displaying much taste in their arrangements.”

Because of his growing family, Bailey added two rooms upstairs in 1850 and had the entire house re-roofed.

After the seminary closed, he built the still-standing Ka’ahumanu Church in Wailuku and operated a small sugar plantation.  He designed and built a water powered mill for sugar and wheat in Wailuku.  The business developed into the Wailuku Sugar Company.  He was also an active participant in starting the Haiku Sugar Company.

Over his years in Hawaiʻi, Bailey taught music.  He aided in the practice of medicine, although he had no medical degree.  He created the girls school in Makawao known as Maunaʻolu Seminary.

He surveyed native kuleana and built the first bridge over the Wailuku River.  He designed the Lahainaluna token currency.

He began painting about 1865, at the age of 51, without any formal instruction; he was the most accomplished of the missionary artists in Hawaii.  He painted landscapes in oil.

Edward and Caroline lived in their Wailuku home for 50-years, then they and their sons (other than Edward Jr. who was married to Emily Kania) moved to California in 1885, possibly 1888.

At the time of his death in 1903 Edward Sr. was the oldest living missionary sent to Hawaii between 1820 – 1850 by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions .

The Bailey House is now the Maui Historical Society’s Hale Hō‘ike‘ike (House of Display) showcasing Hawaiian history and culture, as well as paintings and furnishings from nineteenth-century Maui.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2019 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Filed Under: Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings, Buildings Tagged With: Hawaii, Wailuku, Bailey House

July 23, 2019 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Wailuku Civic Center Historic District

The Wailuku Civic Center Historic District is comprised of several buildings (recognized on the State and National Registers of Historic Places) that generally front on South High Street and constitute the core of governmental structures in Wailuku, the Maui County seat.

Following annexation, the Territorial government passed the County Act in 1905, establishing county governments on the four largest islands in the Hawaiʻi chain.

The act named Wailuku the County seat of Maui, although a number of people were advocating that Lāhainā, the former capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom, be accorded this right.

The citizens of east and central Maui, who comprised three quarters of the island’s population, reasonably argued that with the growth and dominance of sugar production on the island, Wailuku had replaced Lāhainā as Maui’s center of wealth, business and population.

Wailuku originally was a Hawaiian settlement. In 1832, a mission was established there under the leadership of Jonathan S. Green.

Very little development occurred, however, until after the Wailuku Sugar Company commenced its operations in 1862. This led to the growth and eventual prosperity of the town.

Following the naming of Wailuku as Maui’s County seat, the first substantial government building erected in the town was the district courthouse.

The county government remained housed in leased commercial space, a small wooden office building and the community hall, until 1925 when the current Police Station was built to accommodate the demand for adequate office space.

The construction of this building was hailed by the local press as, “another step in the establishment of an attractive civic center,” and the writer looked forward to the day when, “all the civic needs will be appropriately housed in one center.”

The construction of the public library in 1928 was another step in reaching this desired goal, and the Territory’s decision to purchase a corner of the property owned by Kaʻahumanu Church for the construction of the Territorial Office Building in 1930, assured the civic center.

The buildings within the district house State and County government offices, courts, and the public library, and serve as a hub of governmental activity for the island of Maui.

Built within a twenty-four year period, the historic structures represent the architectural aspirations of their time, employing the popular Beaux Arts revival, Mediterranean revival and Hawaiian styles.

These buildings are all of masonry construction and of one or two stories in height, which is in keeping with the scale of most of the city.

The oldest of the buildings is the County Courthouse, erected in 1907. Designed by Honolulu architect H. L. Kerr, it is a Beaux Arts inspired building constructed of cast hollow concrete block which mimetically perpetuates dressed stone.

Next to, and set back from, the Courthouse is the County Office Building, a nine-story building constructed in 1972.

Standing on the other side of the County Office Building is The Police Station. Built in 1925, this reinforced concrete building was designed in a simple Mediterranean style by Maui architect William D’Esmond.

Across South High Street on either corner of the intersection with Aupuni Street stand the Wailuku Library (completed in 1928) and the former Territorial Building (completed in 1931, it now houses the State’s judiciary.) Both of these Mediterranean revival/Hawaiian style buildings were designed by CW Dickey.

Other sites in the vicinity, but not part of the formal “Historic District” include Halekiʻi – Pihana Heiau, Kaʻahumanu Church and Hale Ho‘ike‘ike/Old Bailey House.

Haleki‘i and Pihana Heiau are the most accessible of the remaining pre-contact Hawaiian structures of religious and historical importance in the Wailuku-Kahului area; they are located along the west side of Iao Stream.

Traditional history credits the menehune with the construction of both heiau in a single night; other accounts say they were built under the rule of Kahekili.

In 1832, Queen Kaahumanu visited a religious service by Jonathan Smith Green, and later requested that a more permanent church structure be named for her; ultimately, Reverend Edward Bailey fulfilled her request in 1876 when the current structure was built.

Hale Ho‘ike‘ike, the Old Bailey House, is a combination of four structures built between 1835 and 1850. Originally built as a parsonage for the ministers of the Wailuku Church, it’s now operated by the Maui Historical Society as a museum.

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2019 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Wailuku_Civic_Center_Historic_District-Top_L_to_R-Courthouse-Old-Police-Station-Bottom-Wailuku-Library-Territorial-Building
Wailuku_Civic_Center_Historic_District-Top_L_to_R-Courthouse-Old-Police-Station-Bottom-Wailuku-Library-Territorial-Building
Maui-Wailuku-TerritorialOffice
Maui-Wailuku-TerritorialOffice
Maui-Wailuku-OldPoliceStation-front
Maui-Wailuku-OldPoliceStation-front
Maui-Wailuku-TerritorialOffice
Maui-Wailuku-TerritorialOffice
Maui-Wailuku-OldPoliceStation
Maui-Wailuku-OldPoliceStation
Maui-Wailuku-Library
Maui-Wailuku-Library
Maui-Wailuku-Library-front
Maui-Wailuku-Library-front
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Maui_Wailuku_Courthouse
Kaahumanu_Church,_South_High_Street,_Wailuku_(Maui_County,_Hawaii)
Kaahumanu_Church,_South_High_Street,_Wailuku_(Maui_County,_Hawaii)
Kaahumanu_Church,_South_High_Street,_Wailuku_(Maui_County,_Hawaii)
Kaahumanu_Church,_South_High_Street,_Wailuku_(Maui_County,_Hawaii)
Remains_of_Belfry_Kaahumanu_Church
Remains_of_Belfry_Kaahumanu_Church
Kaahumanu_Church,_South_High_Street,_Wailuku_(Maui_County,_Hawaii)
Kaahumanu_Church,_South_High_Street,_Wailuku_(Maui_County,_Hawaii)
Auxiliary_Building_behind_Kaahumanu_Church
Auxiliary_Building_behind_Kaahumanu_Church
Honoli'i_Park
Honoli’i_Park
Haleki'i-Pihana_Heiau_State_Monument-looking from the bridge across the Iao Stream in Pakukalo-Waiehu
Haleki’i-Pihana_Heiau_State_Monument-looking from the bridge across the Iao Stream in Pakukalo-Waiehu
Bailey_House_Maui
Bailey_House_Maui
Welcome_to_Bailey_House
Welcome_to_Bailey_House
Cannon_from_the_battle_of_Iao_Valley-Bailey_House_Museum
Cannon_from_the_battle_of_Iao_Valley-Bailey_House_Museum
Bailey_House_Maui
Bailey_House_Maui
Wailuku_Historic_District-Map
Wailuku_Historic_District-Map
Wailuku Civic Center Historic District-Map
Wailuku Civic Center Historic District-Map

Filed Under: General, Buildings Tagged With: Hawaii, Maui, Wailuku, Wailuku Civic Center, Lahaina

April 26, 2018 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Waihe‘e Church

Reverend Jonathan Smith Green (December 20, 1796 – January 5, 1878) and his wife Theodosia Arnold Green (April 33, 1792 – October 5, 1859) sailed with the Third Company of American missionaries November 3, 1827 and after 148-days at sea, arrived at Honolulu March 30, 1828.

The Greens were assigned to Lāhainā on the island of Maui; missionaries Lorrin Andrews and Jonathan Green along with mission doctor Gerrit P. Judd, were the first non-Hawaiians to visit Haleakalā in August 1828.

After a couple years on Maui the Greens went to Hilo (1831,) and returned back to Maui (to Wailuku in 1833.) Green built one of the first permanent houses there, a two-story lava stone structure with 20” thick walls and a high-pitched roof covered with wood shingles. (The house is now known as the Bailey House.)

Over the years Green served in various roles and supported and helped construct several schools and churches.

The Central Female Seminary (Wailuku Female Seminary – the first female school begun by the missionaries) opened July 6, 1837, under Green, with six girls, which increased to an average of 30-students. Subsequently, this school moved to Makawao.

The present Kaʻahumanu Church is actually the fourth place of worship for the Wailuku congregation. The original congregation, under the leadership of the Green, was first forced to hold their meetings in a shed.

In about 1830 Green built a thatch and pole meeting house that formed the beginnings of Waihe‘e Church outside of Wailuku. The church was founded as a mission station of the mother church in Wailuku.

In 1832 Green was joined by Mr. Rueben Tinker and together they made plans for the establishment of a permanent church in Waiheʻe. (Between 100 and 300 Hawaiians attended the early meetings.)

The construction of the present stone church was begun in 1848 and completed in 1858. The dimensions established by the missionary architects were 66-feet in length, 30-feet in width and 12-feet in height.

The construction and plan of the Waiheʻe Church closely resemble those of the other stone churches built by the missionaries on the islands of Maui, O‘ahu, Kauai, Hawai‘i and Molokai.

Because the majority of missionaries came from and were schooled in New England, they brought with them the preconceived idea of the church form and character.

In Hawai‘i it was translated into available materials – lava block and heavy timbers – and built in a simple and utilitarian style. The presence of the three tier tower and steeple on the Waihee church indicated the building’s aspiration toward higher style buildings.

The church originally had a wood framed bell tower, built up in three stages and topped with a steeple. The tower was located over the chancel end (above the altar) of the church (it was removed in 1987 due to water and termite damage.)

Typically, the labor for the churches was supplied by the local population served by the church. The materials were either gathered by the church members, donated by a chief or wealthy individual, or in some case purchased in part by the mission. Mortar was made by gathering and burning coral.

In 1852 the walls must have been at their full height because church records indicate that the building was rethatched that year. In January 1858, the building was substantially complete, but without a floor.

In the May 1858 Wailuku station report, WP Alexander wrote: “We have added a board floor to the stone meeting house of Waihee, and also doors and windows, so that it is now a comfortable house of worship.” (HMCS; NPS)

On August 11, 1868, the Waihe‘e Protestant Church was formally established as a branch of the Ka‘ahumanu Church of Wailuku and the Reverend LW Papalimu was seated as the first licensed minister of the church.

Green had moved to Makawao (February 7, 1843) and helped the Hawaiians in the Makawao area form the first self-supporting church in Hawaiʻi at Poʻokela.

He also served as the pastor of the Makawao Union Church, which was started to meet the needs of the English speaking, foreign community around Makawao.

Makawao Foreign Church and Congregation (Makawao Union Church) received a charter from the Hawaiian government in 1861, although Green had been holding services in his Makawao home from 1857. (The existing Dickey-designed Makawao Union Church was built in 1917 as a memorial to Henry Perrine Baldwin.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2018 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Waihee Church
Waihee Church
Waihee-Protestant-Church-WC
Waihee-Protestant-Church-WC
Jonathan_Smith_Green
Jonathan_Smith_Green
Baldwin House
Baldwin House
Kaahumanu_Church
Kaahumanu_Church
Pookela Church
Pookela Church

Filed Under: Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings Tagged With: Maui, Wailuku, Pookela Church, Kaahumanu Church, Jonathan Green, Bailey House, Waihee Church, Hawaii

September 17, 2017 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Pua‘aiki

“The truth here stated, that there is evermore a law of compensation and equipoise running through all things, has its comment and corroboration in the character and history of a remarkable man, through the earthly scene of whose labours I once passed, in order to reach the eastern extremity of the Island of Maui.” (Cheever)

“He is poor and despised in his person, small almost to deformity; and in his countenance, from the loss of sight, not prepossessing.”

“Still, in our judgment he bears on him the image and superscription of Christ; and if so, how striking an example of the truth of the Apostle’s declaration …”

“‘God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen: yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are; that no flesh should glory in his presence!’” (Cheever)

The Pioneer Company of missionaries arrived in the Islands “early found among the thousands of their degraded inhabitants, a poor blind man, almost destitute of clothing, habitation, and friends. He was born at Waikapu … probably about the year 1785.”

“His barbarous mother, following many of her unnatural and murderous countrywomen, attempted to bury him alive in his infancy; but he was rescued by a relative; and surviving the ravages of pestilence, war, and private violence, he reached the years of maturity.”

“Like many of his countrymen of that dark period, he received a diminutive, degrading name, and was called Pu-a-a-i-ki, (Poo-ah-ah-ee-kee, little hog,) no faint shadow of his gross mind, his neglected childhood, and unrestrained youth.”

“In some of the Hawaiian arts he was, before the loss of his sight, more skilled than many of his countrymen. He was taught the lua – an art professed by a small class, by which a proficient, it was believed, could, without weapons or bonds, seize and hold a lonely traveller unacquainted with this art, break his bones, and take the spoil.”

“He learned also the hula … In the rehearsal or cantilation of these songs he excelled, and he often employed his skill in singing, drumming, and dancing for the amusement of the king and chiefs, by which he procured the means of subsistence”. (Bingham)

“Having a shagged head of black hair, unshielded by a hat from tropical suns and showers, and, at middle age, a beard growing at full length under the chin, the rest being plucked out, he roamed shoeless, without moral or mental culture, without hope, and without a Saviour.” (Bingham)

“In these circumstances, he attracted the notice of Kamāmalu, the favourite Queen of LIholiho, or Kamehameha II., who afterwards died in England.”

“His skill in the hula, or native dance, his being a hairy man, and other reasons not easily known at present, recommended him to the favour of the chiefs; not, indeed, as a companion, but as a buffoon. When sent for, he made sport for the Queen and other chiefs, and received in return a pittance of food and of his favourite awa.”

“On the arrival of the pioneers of the mission at Kailua, in the spring of 1820, Puaaiki was there with the chiefs, but he probably knew nothing of them or of their errand.”

“Having given permission to the missionaries to remain at the Islands for a season, the King and chiefs sailed for Oahu. Mr. Bingham accompanied them, and the blind dancer followed in their train.”

“On arriving at Honolulu, he had a severe fit of sickness. In addition to this, his disease of the eyes became much aggravated; so that, shut up in darkness, and unable to make his accustomed visits to the Queen, he was well nigh forgotten, and in danger of perishing.” (Cheever)

“He was visited by John Honolii, a native youth educated at Cornwall, Connecticut; who, seeing Puaaiki lying in this pitiable situation, was touched with.”

“Christian compassion, and spoke to him of the great and good Physician, who alone could heal his maladies and restore his sight. Puaaiki seemed to rouse up on hearing tidings of so unwonted a character, and he eagerly inquired, ‘What is that?’”

“On being again directed to the Lord Jesus Christ, the Physician of souls, he said at once that he would go and hear of him. As soon as he was able to crawl out of the house, he accompanied Honolii to the place of worship, and heard for the first time the glad tidings of great joy to all people, that the Son of Man had come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Cheever)

“As the claims and proffers of the gospel were made known to this man, he was led to see that not only his life of idolatry and the indulgence of heathen passions and appetites was a course of heinous sin, but that when the forms of idolatry and the love of it were laid aside, his heart was still vile, and that he needed the washing of regeneration and the blood of Christ for cleansing.”

“This poor man did not wait for the king and chiefs to mark out for him his new and wiser course; but he took it contrary to their choice. He took it, in his poverty and weakness, at the hazard of offending them, of losing his maintenance, and encountering the sneers of his associates.”

Before any of us regarded him as a true Christian, and, as I think, before he believed himself to be such, like many of his countrymen in later years, hopefully converted, and like the early converts at Jerusalem, as he beheld and admired the new and heavenly light, he began early to recommend to others a serious attention to the word and kingdom of God.” (Bingham)

“While he cherished a desire to be a doer of the word, the grandeur of the objects and the force of the truths presented to him in the gospel, helped him successfully to cultivate his mental powers. Unattracted by the objects of sight in public worship, he heard perhaps better than others; and having more leisure through the week, he reflected more.” (Bingham)

“That man was the first convert to Christianity at these Islands, and the first who received the Christian ordinance of baptism, formally introducing him to the fellowship of the universal Church, under the Christian name of Bartimeus, on the tenth day of July, 1825.”

“His name is on heavenly records, and it is familiar to the ear of Protestant Christendom, as the Blind Hawaiian Preacher, or Bartimeus L Pua‘aiki.”

“Though derided, it does not appear that he was opposed in any way, or prevented from seeking instruction; and some of the chiefs themselves, for whom he had made sport, soon after became kindly disposed to the new religion, and all of them, at length, friendly to the Mission.” (Cheever)

“Regarding himself as a sinner, and relying alone on the merits of Christ for justification, Bartimeus was distinguished for uniform humility, notwithstanding the deference of the people, the esteem of his brethren, the confidence of the missionaries, and the respect of the chiefs, that were shown him.” (Bingham)

“Residing chiefly at Wailuku for some two years, he itinerated and preached at many villages around the island, generally about three Sabbaths in a month at out-stations from five to twenty miles distant.”

“In the early part of 1842, our collective mission … say, “Bartimeus the blind preacher of Maui is regularly licensed as a preacher, and labors both abundantly and successfully in the wide and destitute regions of that island.”

“As a preacher generally solemn in his manner, Bartimeus made free use of the very language of Scripture with striking appositeness, quoting verbatim, and often book, chapter, and verse, with great accuracy and astonishing facility.”

“The verse-system, so useful to the Hawaiians, of committing to memory a verse a day of the sacred oracles, and reciting seven verses a week at the Sabbath-school, doubtless contributed materially to his familiarity with the Bible, and his readiness to aid in Sabbath-school labors, and more generally to instruct and guide those who were ready to hear him.”

“Grace, that had rescued, sanctified, and borne him thus far, sustained him as he was stepping down into the valley of the shadow of death. His conversation was in heaven.”

“Calmly and peacefully he leaned upon his Saviour, whom for twenty years he had endeavored to serve; and on Sabbath evening, September 17, 1843, he surrendered his liberated spirit into his gracious hands.” (Bingham)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2017 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Bartimeus of the Sandwich Islands-Bingham
Bartimeus of the Sandwich Islands-Bingham

Filed Under: Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings, Place Names, Prominent People Tagged With: Hawaii, Maui, Wailuku, Waikapu, Bartimeus, Puaaiki

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Next Page »

Images of Old Hawaiʻi

People, places, and events in Hawaiʻi’s past come alive through text and media in “Images of Old Hawaiʻi.” These posts are informal historic summaries presented for personal, non-commercial, and educational purposes.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Connect with Us

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent Posts

  • Keʻelikōlani and Pele
  • Common Hawaiian-sounding Words … But Are They Hawaiian?
  • From Job to Job Around the World
  • Parker Ranch Manager’s House
  • Hālawa
  • Times
  • Kamakahonu

Categories

  • Mayflower Summaries
  • American Revolution
  • General
  • Ali'i / Chiefs / Governance
  • Buildings
  • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
  • Hawaiian Traditions
  • Military
  • Place Names
  • Prominent People
  • Schools
  • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
  • Economy
  • Voyage of the Thaddeus

Tags

Albatross Al Capone Ane Keohokalole Archibald Campbell Bernice Pauahi Bishop Charles Reed Bishop Downtown Honolulu Eruption Founder's Day George Patton Great Wall of Kuakini Green Sea Turtle Hawaii Hawaii Island Hermes Hilo Holoikauaua Honolulu Isaac Davis James Robinson Kamae Kamaeokalani Kameeiamoku Kamehameha Schools Lalani Village Lava Flow Lelia Byrd Liberty Ship Liliuokalani Mao Math Mauna Loa Midway Monk Seal Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Oahu Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Pearl Pualani Mossman Quartette Thomas Jaggar Volcano Waikiki Wake Wisdom

Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hoʻokuleana LLC is a Planning and Consulting firm assisting property owners with Land Use Planning efforts, including Environmental Review, Entitlement Process, Permitting, Community Outreach, etc. We are uniquely positioned to assist you in a variety of needs.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Copyright © 2012-2024 Peter T Young, Hoʻokuleana LLC

Loading Comments...