Henry Charles Sloggett was a medical doctor. He first visited the Islands in 1875 while travelling on the Challenger Expedition (a British circumnavigation of the world, studying the deep sea and distribution of life at different depths.)
Following that (1883,) the family (wife, Annie Ellery (1850-1900;) son Henry Digby (1876-1938) and daughter Myra (1878-1944)) moved from England to the US and Canada.
Yearning to return and live in the Islands, the Sloggetts came to the Islands in about 1895. For a while, Digby remained on the continent, working in the salmon industry at Puget Sound, Washington.
In 1898, daughter Myra married Johann (John) Friedrich Humburg, a German merchant working for the Hackfeld Company (forerunner to AmFac.) He was later VP of operations in San Francisco.
Upon arriving in the Islands, Dr Sloggett opened an office on Beretania Street, specializing in eye and ear disorders. “A few years after beginning practice here, Dr. Sloggett was appointed by President Dole of the Republic a member of the Board of Health.”
“Then, when Dr Cooper resigned the presidency of that body on departing for the States to visit his old home and attend the grand council of the Elks, Dr Sloggett was appointed to succeed him (as President of the Board of Health.)” (Pacific Commercial Advertiser, March 25, 1905)
Annie Sloggett died in 1900, “She had been in ill-health for some time but no fears that she would not recover had been felt by her family. Heart disease was the cause of Mrs Sloggett’s death. She was fifty one years of age.” (Pacific Commercial Advertiser, May 30, 1900)
“After the death of his wife … Dr Sloggett resigned from the Board of Health and went to Shanghai In the service of the Oriental Insurance Co.”
“He returned to Honolulu In 1903 and was immediately appointed Superintendent of the Insane Asylum.” (Evening bulletin., March 25, 1905) (Dr Sloggett died in 1905.)
Digby Sloggett came to the Islands in 1896. He first worked at BF Ehlers & Co in Honolulu (forerunner to Liberty House,) then took “the responsible post of assistant bookkeeper of Lihue plantation, on Kauai.”
“Mr Sloggett had been with Ehlers & Co. a year and a half, and the management was loth to see him depart, though he goes to a better position.” (Honolulu Republican, September 28, 1900)
He remained until 1900 when he left to join the staff of the Maui Agricultural Co at Paʻia, Maui. He, later, resigned that post to become assistant manager of GN Wilcox’s Grove Farm plantation in 1920.
Digby married Lucy Etta Wilcox. Etta was daughter of Samuel Whitney and Emma Washburn Lyman Wilcox, and granddaughter of missionaries Abner and Lucy Wilcox. Digby and Lucy had five children.
Over the years, Digby Sloggett was manager of the Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital for tubercular patients at Kealia, Kauai; director of the Lihue Soda Co., Ltd.; director and secretary of the Kauai Telephone Co.; director of the Garden Island Publishing Co.; treasurer of the Grove Farm Co., Ltd., and Lihuʻe Hospital, and a member of the advisory boards of Lihue Branch Bank of Hawaii, Ltd., and the Lihue branch of the Salvation Army.
A lasting legacy of Henry Digby and Lucy Etta Wilcox Sloggett is Camp Sloggett in Kokeʻe on Kauai. It started as a family mountain retreat for hiking, horseback riding and relaxation.
After the Digby and Etta’s deaths, the Sloggett children maintained the camp for their own use. They later transferred the Camp to the YWCA.
The YWCA had long associations with the Sloggett family. Elsie and Mabel Wilcox, sisters of Etta, started the YWCA on Kauai. Etta Wilcox Sloggett was also a former president of the Kauai YWCA. (nps)
In addition to Camp Sloggett, other Kokeʻe camp lots surveyed and staked by Charles S Judd in 1918 who was then Superintendent of Forestry.
He modeled these lots and their intended uses after recreation cabins and campsites that were being established on the continental United States in the US National Forests at that time. It grew to a total of 135-lots.
In addition to Sloggett, the Boy Scouts run the Camp Alan Faye and Hui O Laka controls the former Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp. Numerous other individuals have family cabins leased from the state.