A severe Indiana winter during 1872-73 prompted a group of friends from Indianapolis to form an investment group with the purpose of moving to the warmer climate of Southern California. Sent to scout the area, D. M. Berry recommended purchasing a portion of the Rancho San Pasqual, which later became Pasadena.
The word Pasadena literally means “valley” in the Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian language, but it has been interpreted to mean “Crown of the Valley” and “Key of the Valley,” hence the adoption of both the crown and the key in the official city seal.
Pasadena is home of the Rose Bowl, constructed in 1922. It originally had a seating capacity of 57,000 and currently seats 100,184 people. The Rose Bowl is home for the UCLA Bruins Football team.
The Tournament of Roses annual parade of flower covered floats has been held in Pasadena since January 1, 1890. It was patterned after a European festival of roses and was meant to show off Pasadena’s natural beauty and sunny climate while most of the nation lay buried beneath snow. (City of Pasadena)
Dr. James W Smith and his wife Melicent Knapp Smith arrived in the Hawaiian Islands aboard the Sarah Abigail along with fellow Kauai missionaries, Rev. and Mrs. George B. Rowell. Smith was 32, and Melicent was 26.
The couple would provide missionary, educational and medical help to the islands for the next 45 years, and establish a family dynasty of service to Kauai.
Dr. Jared K. Smith (1849-1897) carried on his father’s medical practice – his life ended tragically when he was murdered by a victim of leprosy. His sister, Juliette, ran the Koloa Industrial School for Boys.
Another son, William Owen Smith (1848-1929) would become a lawyer; he was an active participant in both the “Bayonet Revolution” and the Committee of Safety, which spearheaded the overthrow of Queen Liliuokalani in 1893. WO Smith wrote the will for Princess Pauahi Bishop and the will for Queen Liliuokalani , creating those two trust estates.
His sister Lottie (Charlotte Lee Smith 1845-1896) married Alfred Stedman Hartwell, who was also involved with the political changes of the era. And another sister, Melicent Lena Smith (1854-1943), married William Waterhouse (1852-1942) (They married on February 24, 1876.) (Kauai Historical Society)
William Waterhouse’s father was John Thomas Waterhouse. William was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1852. He was educated in the schools of Hawaii and also in England; married to Melissa P. Smith on February 24, 1876;
When the elder Waterhouse “went across the United States on a trip back to England, he noticed that Chicago was a very booming town and Cedar Rapids was a very booming town.”
“He wanted to buy some property in one of the towns and he considered buying some property on Michigan Boulevard in Chicago but he couldn’t decide which town he should invest in, so he tossed a coin and it came out Cedar Rapids.” (Waterhouse)
He was “the owner of some of the finest blocks and most desirable property in and around Cedar Rapids, such as the ‘Waterhouse Block,’ ‘Grand Hotel,’ considerable residence property in the city, and residence with thirty-five acres northwest of city limits, etc.” (History of Linn County)
He owned several pieces of property in the downtown area, among them buildings on Queen Street, retail stores on King and Fort Streets, and a warehouse on Merchant Street. In addition, he was referred to as a “collector of halls,” being the owner of the Lyceum and Olympic Halls, which he lent for lectures and assemblies. (HABS)
William and Lena moved to Cedar Rapids where William managed “his father’s affairs, and conducts the leading hotel that flourishing city, which included his father’s possessions.” (Hawaiian Star, January 5, 1895)
After his father’s death, William and Lena moved to Pasadena, and the family business interests in Iowa were eventually sold. (Kauai Historical Society)
William was elected mayor of Pasadena in 1905 and served one term. Mr. Waterhouse’s administration was known for securing a municipal lighting system after complaints were made that the Edison Company was not living up to specifications in the quantity and quality of the light furnished.
The mayor and city attorney directed the holding up of warrants for contract payments by the auditor, and refusal to make payments, which ended up in the courts. The important outcome of this regime was a proposition to approve by vote to establish the first unit of a Municipal Lighting Plant.
Mr. Waterhouse and his wife helped to establish the Lake Avenue Congregational Church, and both of their families were an important part of the “upbuilding” of the modern civilization as missionaries in the Hawaiian Islands after his time in office. (Pasadena Library)
After serving one term as Mayor of Pasadena, the Waterhouses moved back to Hawaii and made their home there where family interests controlled several banks and sugar industries.
They frequently returned to Cedar Rapids, continuing his interest as did his father during his life in the extension of religious education and the establishment of churches to which he contributed substantial sums. (Annals of Iowa)
Their son, Dr. Alfred Herbert Waterhouse (1877-1948) became the third generation of the medical family serving Kauai, as company doctor for Koloa and McBryde Plantations, later going into private practice.
Dr. Waterhouse is also known for his efforts to develop affordable housing and educational opportunities for sugar plantation workers and their children. (Kauai Historical Society) William Waterhouse passed away on December 18, 1943 at the age of 91.
Follow Peter T Young on Facebook
Follow Peter T Young on Google+
Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn
Follow Peter T Young on Blogger