Images of Old Hawaiʻi

  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Ali’i / Chiefs / Governance
    • American Protestant Mission
    • Buildings
    • Collections
    • Economy
    • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
    • General
    • Hawaiian Traditions
    • Other Summaries
    • Mayflower Summaries
    • Mayflower Full Summaries
    • Military
    • Place Names
    • Prominent People
    • Schools
    • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
    • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Collections
  • Contact
  • Follow

March 8, 2016 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Koehnen

Passengers and cargo landed at Hilo in the surf along the beach until about 1863, when a wharf was constructed at the base of present day Waianuenue Street; the wooden wharf was replaced by an iron pile wharf in 1865.

The northern side of the bay became a focal point for the community’s trade and commerce. During this time, Hilo was ranked as the third most frequented port for whaling vessels in need of repair and re-provisioning.

By 1874, Hilo ranked as the second largest population center in the islands, and within a few years shortly thereafter Hilo with its fertile uplands, plentiful water supply, and good port became a major center for sugarcane production and export.

In 1910, H Hackfeld built a warehouse and related building, a reinforced concrete building, spanning the entire block along Kamehameha Avenue, the two-story Hackfeld Building was the most substantial building in downtown Hilo when completed.

William Hardy ‘Doc’ Hill opened the Hill Optical Co in 1917 and added his jewelry business in 1919, and both his optical and jewelry businesses were among the largest in the Territory.

When he was elected to the Territorial House of Representatives in 1928, Doc sold his optical and jewelry businesses to his bookkeeper, Friederich Koehnen. (Narimatsu)

Friederich Wilheim “Fritz” Koehnen came to Hilo from Germany in 1909 to work for H Hackfeld Company (which later went on to become Amfac, one of the “Big-Five” corporations in Hawaii.)

In 1929, Koehnen and his wife, German-born Katherine Bocker, bought Hill Optical. They shut down the optical operation and started selling silverware, fine china, crystal and giftware as F Koehnen Ltd. (Laitinen)

Their daughter, Helie, who worked at the store from a young age, starting in high school, and joined full time during World War II when she met and married Carl Rohner, a U.S. military officer stationed on the island who came back to join the business after the war.

Rohner opened the furniture business in 1946 as Fritz took ill with pneumonia. He handed over the reins to his son, Fred J. Koehnen, who left college after the war to take over the business.

Koehnen oversaw the jewelry and giftware division; Rohner oversaw furniture sales. After moving to the current location in 1955, which was purchased from Amfac, Fred left the day-to-day operations to Carl and Helie but remained on the firm’s board of directors. (Bishop)

“Normal business day for me was to open up, take a coffee break shortly thereafter at the old Hilo Drug Co. lunch counter. Great place to swap info and tall tales with your business contemporaries. … I was on “the floor” as a salesperson most of the day.”

“In a family business with a small work force, being a manager just meant doing double duty in both sales and administration. You did the office work whenever you could. If that involved taking work home, so be it.”

“My father had a bookkeeping/accounting background, so he made sure his family learned that aspect of business first. Our bookkeeping, including the tax returns, was all done in-house.”

“In the retail business back then you knew just about all of your customers by name. Good service and personal relationships were the things that kept you in business!”

“Business in those days was based on trust. A man’s word was his bond and a handshake every bit as binding as a written contract. Most retail stores, ours included, carried charge accounts for customers. While some banks offered “charge cards,” today’s credit and debit cards were unheard of and most people carried little cash.” (Koehnen)

In 1957, the company bought the Hackfield building at the corner of Kamehameha and Waianuenue avenues in downtown Hilo and the store has called the building home ever since.

In the late 1960s F. Koehnen Ltd spun off its retail operation, which was renamed Koehnen’s Inc., leaving F Koehnen Ltd in charge of real estate holdings. (Laitinen)

After 83-years and three generations in business, Koehnen’s closed at the end of 2012; “We’re closing now not because we have to, but because it’s an appropriate time. We ran out of family to take over.” (Koehnen; Bishop, HTH)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Koehnen's-PBN
Koehnen’s-PBN
koehnen-building-name
koehnen-building-name
koehnens_building
koehnens_building
koehnens_building
koehnens_building
Hilo street scene-H_Hackfeld on right corner-PP-29-5-016
Hilo street scene-H_Hackfeld on right corner-PP-29-5-016
Hilo Drug Co., Ltd. near left and American Factors across street-Hilo-PP-29-3-049-1928
Hilo Drug Co., Ltd. near left and American Factors across street-Hilo-PP-29-3-049-1928
Amfac-Koehnen Building
Amfac-Koehnen Building
American Factors (formerly H.Hackfield)-PP-7-5-020-00001
American Factors (formerly H.Hackfield)-PP-7-5-020-00001
Waianuenue Street, Hilo, Hawaii from Hilo Landing-(HSA)-PPWD-5-2-007
Waianuenue Street, Hilo, Hawaii from Hilo Landing-(HSA)-PPWD-5-2-007
Hilo-Landing-PP-29-5-027-1882
Hilo-Landing-PP-29-5-027-1882
Hilo Landing, Hilo, Hawai‘i, early 1890s
Hilo Landing, Hilo, Hawai‘i, early 1890s
Historic_Downtown_Hilo_Walking_Tour-map
Historic_Downtown_Hilo_Walking_Tour-map

Filed Under: Economy, Buildings, Prominent People Tagged With: Hilo, Hackfeld, Koehnen, Rohner, Hawaii

March 1, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Fire Department

Formal fire prevention and firefighting date back to Roman times. During the middle ages many towns and cities simply burned down because of ineffective firefighting arrangements and because of the building materials used at the time, mainly wood.

Following some spectacular losses, some parishes organized basic firefighting, but no regulations or standards were in force. The Great Fire of London, in 1666, changed things and helped to standardize urban firefighting. (Fireservice UK)

Following a public outcry during the aftermath of that, probably the most famous fire ever, a property developer named Nicholas Barbon introduced the first kind of insurance against fire.

Soon after the formation of this insurance company, and in a bid to help reduce the cost and number of claims, he formed his own Fire Brigade. Other similar companies soon followed his lead and this was how property was protected until the early 1800s.

Policy holders were given a badge, or fire mark, to affix to their building. If a fire started, the Fire Brigade was called. They looked for the fire mark and, provided it was the right one, the fire would be dealt with. (Not the right mark; folks let it burn.)

Many of these insurance companies were to merge, including those of London, which merged in 1833 to form The London Fire Engine Establishment. (Fireservice UK)

No organized fire protection system existed in Honolulu until November 6, 1850, when the city’s first volunteer fire brigade was formed.

WC Parke formed Honolulu’s first Volunteer Fire Brigade (the same day a fire broke out and eleven homes were destroyed.) Reportedly, King Kamehameha III took an immense interest in the department. When the alarm went off, the reigning monarch shed his coat, rolled up his sleeves and helped right alongside the other volunteers.

The Privy Council authorized the procurement of “sixty buckets, painted and marked ‘FB Engine No. 1.’ and place the same at the disposal of the Foreman of Fire Engine to No.1, until the organization of the Fire department …”

“… when they shall go into the custody of the officer to be designated to have charge of the Fire Apparatus of Honolulu, and that the Minister of Finance pay the cost of the same out of the public Exchequer.” (Privy Council Minutes, December 9, 1850)

Shortly thereafter, “the Minister of the Interior (is) hereby required to confer with the forman of the First fire Company of Honolulu as to the necessary building required for the protection of the fire apparatus of the Government and for the meetings of the fire Company …”

“… should it be found necessary that a new building be erected for the purpose aforesaid, that the Minister of the Interior is hereby instructed to cause the same to be erect a suitable lot, at cost not exceeding $1000, and in case a lot is not now owned by the Government, to purchase or lease such an one as may be required.” (Privy Council Minutes, December 27, 1850)

Thus, on December 27, 1850, Kamehameha III established the Honolulu Volunteer Fire Department, and the 1851 legislature enacted the ordinance into law.

In August 1851, a second-hand fire engine was purchased through public subscription and became the property of Engine Company No. 1. Within ten years, the city had four engine companies, including No. 4, which was composed exclusively of Hawaiians.

Kings Kamehameha III, Kamehameha IV, Kamehameha V and Kalakaua were all active members of Company No. 4, with Kamehameha V, as Prince Lot, playing an instrumental role in its foundation and Kalakaua served as the company’s secretary.

Thus, the Honolulu Fire Department is perhaps the only fire department in the world to have the distinction of including monarchs as active members. In 1878, Engine Company No. 5, a Chinese company, was formed.

The volunteer fire companies, each with their fifty plus membership, were active and influential factors in various municipal activities, including politics. One of the first acts of the Provisional government was the disbanding of the volunteer fire companies and the creation of a full-time paid fire department.

The Fire Department was to “consist of a Board of Commissioners, consisting of three members, who shall be appointed by the Minister of the Interior with the consent of the Executive Council, and who shall serve without pay ; a Chief Engineer, who shall be appointed by the Board of Commissioners.”

“There shall be three or more fire companies under pay, in the discretion of the Board of Commissioners, and such other volunteer companies as the Commissioners shall deem fit. The general care and supervision of the department shall be under the direction of the Board of Commissioners, who shall also have power to issue such general rules and regulations for the government of the department as they shall deem necessary.” (Pacific Commercial Advertiser, February 28, 1893)

Each volunteer company had its own fire house and held regular meetings. The most substantial of the early firehouses was Engine Company No. 5’s brick station on Maunakea Street. Erected in 1886, it replaced a frame building destroyed in the first Chinatown fire. Subsequently, the brick station was consumed in the Chinatown fire of 1900.

Due to the expansion of the city and the need for more adequate quarters, as the volunteer stations were not designed to stable horses or serve as dormitories for the men on twenty- four hour duty, new stations replaced the earlier ones.

In 1897, the original Central Fire Station was erected on Beretania and Fort Streets, consolidating Engine Companies 1 and 2, and in 1899, a frame station was constructed on “the plains of Makiki” for Engine Company No. 3.

In 1901, the Palama Station was built to replace the Maunakea Street Station. With the development of Kaimuki as a suburb, a frame station was built there in 1913. (NPS) (Lots of information here from NPS ands Nucciarone.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Fire Department-PP-21-2-023-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-2-023-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-2-010-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-2-010-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-014-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-014-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-013-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-013-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-012-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-012-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-008-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-008-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-2-004-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-2-004-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-2-001-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-2-001-00001
Chinatown Fire-PP-21-4-012-00001-1886
Chinatown Fire-PP-21-4-012-00001-1886
Fire Department-PP-21-3-039-00001
Fire Department-PP-21-3-039-00001
Chinatown Fire-PP-21-4-010-00001-1886
Chinatown Fire-PP-21-4-010-00001-1886
Cartwright-PP-21-2-019-00001
Cartwright-PP-21-2-019-00001
Fire tower and Engine House No. 2-PPWD-8-8-011
Fire tower and Engine House No. 2-PPWD-8-8-011

Filed Under: General, Buildings, Economy Tagged With: Hawaii, Honolulu Fire Department

February 27, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

Henry Ho‘olulu Pitman

“Henry Pitman, the first of Hawai‘i’s sons to fall in the war, died at Annapolis Parole Camp, Union army. His remains were deposited in Mt Auburn Cemetery, near Boston, Massachusetts, his memory be embalmed among our band. … He died in a just cause.” (HMCS)

Timothy Henry Hoʻolulu Pitman, born March 18, 1845, in Hilo, was the eldest son of High Chiefess Kinoʻole-o-Liliha (Kinoʻole) of Hilo and Benjamin Pitman, originally from Boston (his siblings were Mary and Benjamin.)

“(Kinoʻole) was a daughter of Hoʻolulu, a famous chief in the time of Kamehameha the Great. Hoʻolulu and Ulumāheihei (afterwards converted to Christianity and renamed Hoapili-Kane by the missionaries, and first governor of Maui) took the body of Kamehameha at his death and hid it in the caves at Kaloko fish ponds, according to Hawaiian custom with great chiefs.”

“The Chiefess Kinoʻole who married Benjamin Pitman, senior, lived for many years in a mansion on the spot where the Hilo Hotel now stands. Pitman, is a first cousin of the late George Beckley, for many years purser and director with the Inter-island Steamship Company. Beckley’s mother was Kinoiki, sister of Chiefess Kino‘ole.” (Star-Bulletin, December 26, 1916)

His father “came here in about 1833, and ran a general merchandise store on one corner of the present Hotel grounds, the family homestead being located where the Hotel is now located.” (Hilo Tribune, February 14, 1905)

Henry’s father, “ became very wealthy out of the then flourishing whale business, which was centered around the Islands, and … (became) the king’s representative on Hawaii, having charge of all the royal, crown and public lands here.”

“He acquired considerable property, owning the whole of the Puueo tract of 2,500 acres, and also about 300 acres of the Ponohawai tract, commencing just above Pleasant Street and running 2 miles up the Kaumana Road.”

“As Pitman’s business increased he built a new store on the comer of Front and King Streets, where the Ick Sing Company is now located, and continued in business there until 1861 when he sold to Capt. Spencer.”

“His store and that of Geo. More, located where the Coney House now stands, were the only two stores in the village during the lava flow of 1840, when night was as bright as day in Hilo.”

“Pitman Street (what is now the segment of Kinoʻole Street between Waianuenue Avenue and Haili (then called Church) Street, where the Hotel is located is named after this early pioneer.” (Hilo Tribune, February 14, 1905)

Henry Pitman’s mother died in 1855; “His hair was jet black, his eyes large and lustrous, his face swarthy, and from the ambrotypes shown us of the princess, his mother, he strongly resembled her whom he mourned”. (Parker)

His father later married Maria Louisa (Walsworth) Kinney, widow of missionary Henry Kinney. She died in Hilo on March 6, 1858.

His father decided to leave the islands and returned to Massachusetts with the children around 1860. Henry continued his education in the public schools of Roxbury, Boston, where the Pitman family lived for a period of time. Then, the Civil War.

“His resolve was made. He would enlist.” (Carter) On August 14, 1862, Pitman left school without his family’s knowledge and volunteered to serve in the Union Army and fight in the American Civil War.

A member of Co. H, 22nd Regt. Mass. Vols., he was with his Regiment in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam and Sharpsburg. (Pitman Gravestone)

“Among our number, however, we had noticed a tall, slim boy, straight as an arrow. His face was a perfect oval, his hair was as black as a raven’s wing, and his eyes were large and of that peculiar soft, melting blackness, which excites pity when one is in distress.”

“His skin was a clear, dark olive, bordering on the swarthy, and this, with his high cheek bones, would have led us to suppose that his nationality was different from our own, had we not known that his name was plain Henry P– .” (Carter)

“There was an air of good breeding and refinement about him, that, with his small hands and feet, would have set us to thinking, had it not been that in our youth and intensely enthusiastic natures, we gave no thought to our comrades’ personal appearance.”

“(T)he tears trembled upon his long, dark lashes, and rolled down the swarthy cheeks of the boy soldier. As we hastened along the hard Warrenton turnpike, on this 18th day of November, on our march to the ‘Spotted Tavern,’ every step seemed accompanied by a groan of fatigue or exhaustion, from the worn and weary men.” (Carter)

“It was long and terribly exhausting march. It rained nearly every day. In vain did the water-soaked, drowned-out men try to dry out their clothes and cleanse the mud from their persons, now filthy from long neglect.”

“We wallowed and floundered along the boggy roads the wagons stalled the mules, no longer able to scarcely drag the wagons, lay down in their harness, many of them to die. The teamsters cursed and swore, and the columns staggered along.” (Parker)

“Private Henry Pitman, Company H, asked member of the company if he would fall out with him as he was sick, and his feet, from wearing tight boots, were blistered and unfit for marching, and his comrade consented to do so.”

“A fire was started, coffee put on to boil, and the rear of the column had nearly passed, when it was decided that without authority to fall out, even to care for sick man, arrest or disastrous consequences might result, and the comrade determined to move on.”

“Pitman was urged to make further effort and go into camp, but he positively refused to budge until his poor sick body was rested from the exhausting efforts of the day’s march.”

“Leaving him as comfortable as possible, his comrade joined the rear of the column, and struggling to the head joined the Twenty-second, and went into camp an hour later. Pitman was never heard from, and was always borne upon the rolls as missing.” (Parker)

Pitman was taken prisoner by Stuart’s cavalry on the march to Fredricksburg. “He was sent to Libby Prison, and not being strong, contracted still further the chronic disease”. (Parker)

He was part of a prisoner exchange and paroled to a camp in Annapolis, Maryland. “The men who arrived there from Southern prisons ‘were in pitiable condition of mind and body, having experienced extreme suffering.’” (Dye)

“(H)e was confined in a place he called the ‘Pen’ which undoubtedly refers to the Andersonville Stockade where thousands of Union soldiers were starved to death while under gard. In one of his letters Henry Pittman tells of the filthy meat thrown to them as if they were dogs.” (Hawaiian Gazette, June 28, 1910)

Then, the sad news … “We regret to learn by the last mail of the death of Henry Pitman, son of Benj. Pitman, Esq formerly of Hilo. He died at the Annapolis Parole Camp, Feb. 27th, of lung fever, having been serving as soldier in the Union army.”

“He was about 20 years of age (17-years, 11-months and 9 days,) and his remains were deposited in Mt. Auburn Cemetery, near Boston Mass.” (Pacific Commercial Advertiser, May 28, 1863)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman,_Peabody_Essex_Museum
Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman,_Peabody_Essex_Museum
Henry Hoolulu Pitman
Henry Hoolulu Pitman
Mary_Ann_and_Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman
Mary_Ann_and_Henry_Hoolulu_Pitman
Mrs._Benjamin_Pitman_(High_Chiefess_Kinoole-o-Liliha)-1849
Mrs._Benjamin_Pitman_(High_Chiefess_Kinoole-o-Liliha)-1849
Benjamin_Pitman_(Hawaii)
Benjamin_Pitman_(Hawaii)
Hilo_Hotel-(DMY)-1891
Hilo_and_Vicinity-Baldwin-Reg1561-1891
Hilo_and_Vicinity-Baldwin-Reg1561-1891
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone
Timothy Henry Pitman gravestone

Filed Under: Military, Prominent People Tagged With: Hawaii, Civil War, Timothy Henry Hoolulu Pitman

February 18, 2016 by Peter T Young 1 Comment

Volcano Stables and Transportation Company

“Following the three casualties on Volcano Road near Glenwood, because of the overturning of the automobile of the Volcano Stables Company; it is necessary to somewhat decrease the numbers of cars so the road isn’t disorderly as we know it is narrow.”

“It is also important for the drivers to be cautious when driving, lest there be more casualties like these. When one driver wants to overtake another, that is stupid; be very careful in every way, whether the road is wide or narrow; because that is how this Hawaiian met with disaster, and took two haole women as victims.”

“Think, O Drivers, and drive appropriately on narrow portions of the road so that you don’t get into accidents and lives are lost.”

“This will be a reason world travellers will not often come here to Hilo, because of this kind of dreadful happenings that are heard of, and it is the very first in the history of Hilo.” (Hoku o Hawaii, March 4, 1915)

“The Volcano Stables and Transportation Company was incorporated (in 1873) … in the town of Hilo, and owing to the limited railway facilities of the Island of Hawaiʻi, has grown to be the largest transportation company in the Islands.”

“The stables of the company are located on Waianuenue street, extending back to King street, and occupy an area 80×230 feet.“

“Besides a complete livery business the company operates draying, stage and express systems which extend from Hilo to Kawaihae and from Hilo to Honuʻapo in Kaʻū, practically covering all of the most Important places upon the Island.”

“In addition to the main stables the company has extra buildings and stables midway between Hilo and Waiākea where the stock used in draying, trucking and building roads is kept.” (Evening Bulletin, March 25, 1909)

It is “by far the most comprehensive institution of its kind in the entire group. Its service includes all kinds of livery, automobiles of all sizes, stages, vehicles, horses, etc.”

“Besides maintaining at its Hilo headquarters a large garage, capable of handling all kinds of repair work, it holds the agency for the White and Ford autos. It has the largest stock of auto goods, material and parts in the Islands.” (Kinney)

“The company owns a stage line which meets the train at Glenwood, conveying the passengers to the Volcano House and from the Volcano House to and from Honuʻapo, where the steamer Mauna Loa is met.”

“Another stage line carries passengers, parcels and mall to Laupāhoehoe each day, while stages cover the ground between Laupāhoehoe and Kawaihae three times a week. At Kawaihae connections are made with the island steamers Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.”

“Ho’olulu Park, which was constructed by the Volcano Stables five years ago, has recently been sold to the Hawaii Jockey Club.  Mr. C. E. Wright is the manager of the Volcano Stables and Transportation Company having been connected with the company since its incorporation.” (Evening Bulletin, March 25, 1909)

Established to transport freight and passengers, the Volcano Stable & Transportation Co, also owned the largest garage and auto shops in the Territory of Hawaiʻi and served as agent for such cars as the Ford, Studebaker, the King, and the Kleiber truck. (Mid-Pacific Magazine)

They also maintained branch stations at Hakalau, Laupāhoehoe, Honokaʻa, Waimea, Kawaihae, Glenwood, the Volcano House, Pahala, Honuʻapo and Waiohinu. “These not only furnish livery of all kinds, and serve as relay stations for the extensive stage service conducted by the concern, but also carry a full line of gasoline, oils, and the auto supplies most generally needed.” (Kinney)

“Owing to the constantly changing rates, which are becoming cheaper as the rapid improvement of the roads makes travel less expensive, it is not practicable to give rates, but it may be stated, without exaggeration, that the auto rates are as cheap as those anywhere on the mainland.”

“The following rates may, however, be mentioned: Volcano—Auto trip, includes drive to main points about Hilo, crater, tree moulds, fern forest, and return, $5 a person.”

“When a longer trip is desired, giving more time in which to inspect the various interesting places, including Kilauea-iki, Goat Crater, Seven Craters, etc., rates are: Second day, $7 a person; third day, $9 a person. Puna—Auto trips. to Olaa, Pahoa. Pohoiki, Opihikao and Kapoho (one trip), $12.50 a person. To Olaa, Pahoa, Kaimu and Kalapana (one trip), $12.50 a person.” (Kinney)

Reportedly, John Maʻa had his own livery stable (horses/carriages for tours) in 1873, then sold it to JR Wilson in 1891 upon Maʻa’s retirement. (Narimatsu)

JR Wilson owned the Volcano Stables in Hilo and from August, 1893, operated a daily stage between Hilo and Volcano House, dropping off mail at Olaʻa, where the Half-Way House was located.

Mail was handled by Mr. McIntosh at the Richardson store in Mountain View before the post office was established at the Olaa store on May 1, 1894.

JR Ryan, manager of the store, actually ran the office for JW Mason. Mail was delivered to residences along the Volcano Road and other residents had boxes at the Olaʻa store. (Hawaiian Stamps)

“From the Herald is it learned that JW Mason put through the deal by which ownership of Wilson’s Volcano Stables passed over to a local syndicate. These are officers of the new hui: President, C. C. Kennedy; vice-president, John A. Scott; treasurer pro tem, FM Wakefield; secretary, JW Mason; auditor, W. W. Goodale; manager, Robert Forrest.”

“Mr. Wilson will remain in charge one month before going to California with his wealth, consisting of close to $50,000 made in nine years. Others than those, named as officers interested in the company are: EN Holmer, L Turner, CH Fairer, Quni, G Ross, CC McCIennan, Henry Deacon and JT Moir.” (Hawaiian Gazette, May 6, 1898)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Volcano_Garage-Volcano_Stables-MidPacific Magazine
Volcano_Garage-Volcano_Stables-MidPacific Magazine
A_Road_To_The-Volcano-(Mid-PacificMagazine)-1913
A_Road_To_The-Volcano-(Mid-PacificMagazine)-1913
Fern Forest Road to the volcano from Punaluu, Hawaii Island-PP-28-13-008
Fern Forest Road to the volcano from Punaluu, Hawaii Island-PP-28-13-008
Road (new) to volcano-(HHS-6032)
Road (new) to volcano-(HHS-6032)
View from Olaa-Volcano-Rd-DAGS1665a-1892
View from Olaa-Volcano-Rd-DAGS1665a-1892
Volcano_Road-Bertram-(DMY)
Volcano_Road-Bertram-(DMY)
Volcano_Garage-Volcano_Stables-Mid-Pacific Magazine
Volcano_Garage-Volcano_Stables-Mid-Pacific Magazine

Filed Under: General, Economy Tagged With: Hawaii, Hilo, Volcano Stables

February 17, 2016 by Peter T Young Leave a Comment

ʻŌpūkahaʻia’s Grammar Book

Noah Webster (1758-1843) was the man of words in early 19th-century America. He compiled a dictionary which became the standard for American English; he also compiled The American Spelling Book, which was the basic textbook for young readers in early 19th-century America.

In 1809, ʻŌpūkahaʻia boarded a sailing ship anchored in Kealakekua Bay and sailed to the continent. ʻŌpūkahaʻia latched upon the Christian religion, converted to Christianity in 1815 and studied at the Foreign Mission School in Cornwall, Connecticut (founded in 1817) – he wanted to become a missionary and teach the Christian faith to people back home in Hawaiʻi.

A story of his life was written (“Memoirs of Henry Obookiah” (the spelling of his name prior to establishment of the formal Hawaiian alphabet, based on its sound.)) This book was put together by Edwin Dwight (after ʻŌpūkahaʻia died.) It was an edited collection of ʻŌpūkahaʻia’s letters and journals/diaries.

This book inspired the New England missionaries to volunteer to carry his message to the Sandwich Islands.

On October 23, 1819, the pioneer Company of missionaries from the northeast United States, set sail on the Thaddeus for the Sandwich Islands (now known as Hawai‘i) – they first landed at Kailua-Kona on April 4, 1820. (Unfortunately, ʻŌpūkahaʻia died suddenly (of typhus fever on February 17, 1818) and never made it back to Hawaiʻi.)

It turns out that a manuscript was found among Queen Emma’s private papers (titled, “A Short Elementary Grammar of the Owhihe Language;”) a note written on the manuscript said, “Believed to be Obookiah’s grammar”.

Some believe this manuscript is the first grammar book on the Hawaiian language. However, when reading the document, many of the words are not recognizable. Here’s a sampling of a few of the words: 3-o-le; k3-n3-k3; l8-n3 and; 8-8-k8.

No these aren’t typos, either. … Let’s look a little closer.

In his journal, ʻŌpūkahaʻia first mentions grammar in his account of the summer of 1813: “A part of the time (I) was trying to translate a few verses of the Scriptures into my own language, and in making a kind of spelling-book, taking the English alphabet and giving different names and different sounds. I spent time in making a kind of spelling-book, dictionary, grammar.” (Schutz)

So, where does Noah Webster fit into this picture?

As initially noted, Webster’s works were the standard for American English. References to his “Spelling” book appear in the accounts by folks at the New England mission school.

As you know, English letters have different sounds for the same letter. For instance, the letter “a” has a different sound when used in words like: late, hall and father.

Noah Webster devised a method to help differentiate between the sounds and assigned numbers to various letter sounds – and used these in his Speller. (Webster did not substitute the numbers corresponding to a letter’s sound into words in his spelling or dictionary book; it was used as an explanation of the difference in the sounds of letters.)

The following is a chart for some of the letters related to the numbers assigned, depending on the sound they represent.

Long Vowels in English (Webster)
..1…..2…..3……4…….5……6……..7…….8
..a…..a…..a……e…….i…….o……..o…….u
late, ask, hall, here, sight, note, move, truth

Using ʻŌpūkahaʻia’s odd-looking words mentioned above, we can decipher what they represent by substituting the code and pronounce the words accordingly (for the “3,” substitute with “a” (that sounds like “hall”) and replace the “8” with “u,” (that sounds like “truth”) – so, 3-o-le transforms to ʻaʻole (no;) k3-n3-k3 transforms to kanaka (man;); l8-n3 transforms to luna (upper) and 8-8-k8 transforms to ʻuʻuku (small.)

It seems Henry ʻŌpūkahaʻia used Webster’s Speller in his writings and substituted the numbers assigned to the various sounds and incorporated them into the words of his grammar book (essentially putting the corresponding number into the spelling of the word.)

“Once we know how the vowel letters and numbers were used, ʻŌpūkahaʻia’s short grammar becomes more than just a curiosity; it is a serious work that is probably the first example of the Hawaiian language recorded in a systematic way. Its alphabet is a good deal more consistent than those used by any of the explorers who attempted to record Hawaiian words.” (Schutz)

“It might be said that the first formal writing system for the Hawaiian language, meaning alphabet, spelling rules and grammar, was created in Connecticut by a Hawaiian named Henry ʻŌpūkahaʻia. He began work as early as 1814 and left much unfinished at his death in 1818.” (Rumford)

“His work served as the basis for the foreign language materials prepared by American and Hawaiian students at the Foreign Mission School in Cornwall, Connecticut, in the months prior to the departure of the first company of missionaries to Hawai’i in October 1819.” (Rumford)

It is believed ʻŌpūkahaʻia classmates (and future missionaries,) Samuel Ruggles and James Ely, after ʻŌpūkahaʻia’s death, went over his papers and began to prepare material on the Hawaiian language to be taken to Hawaiʻi and used in missionary work (the work was written by Ruggles and assembled into a book – by Herman Daggett, principal of the Foreign Mission School – and credit for the work goes to ʻŌpūkahaʻia.)

Lots of information here from Rumford (Hawaiian Historical Society) and Schutz (Honolulu and The Voices of Eden: A History of Hawaiian Language Studies.)

I encourage you to review the images in the album; I had the opportunity to review and photograph the several pages of ʻŌpūkahaʻia’s grammar book. (Special thanks to the Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives and the Hawaiian Historical Society.)

Follow Peter T Young on Facebook 

Follow Peter T Young on Google+ 

Follow Peter T Young on LinkedIn  

Follow Peter T Young on Blogger

© 2016 Hoʻokuleana LLC

Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)_Spelling
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)_Spelling
Henry_Opukahaia,_ca. 1810s
Henry_Opukahaia,_ca. 1810s
Noah_Webster_pre-1843
Noah_Webster_pre-1843
Noah_Webster's_The_American_Spelling_Book-Cover-1800
Noah_Webster’s_The_American_Spelling_Book-Cover-1800
Webster's_The_American_Spelling_Book-Number_assignment_to_vowel_sounds-(page_13)-1800
Webster’s_The_American_Spelling_Book-Number_assignment_to_vowel_sounds-(page_13)-1800
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Title_Page
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Title_Page
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Verbs
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Verbs
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Spelling
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Spelling
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-some_words
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-some_words
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Pronouns
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Pronouns
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Nouns
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Nouns
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Articles
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Articles
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Adverbs-Spelling
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Adverbs-Spelling
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Adverbs-Prepositions
Opukahaia_Grammar_Book-(HHS)-Adverbs-Prepositions

Filed Under: General, Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings, Prominent People Tagged With: Hawaii, Noah Webster, Henry Opukahaia, Hawaiian Language

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 608
  • 609
  • 610
  • 611
  • 612
  • …
  • 659
  • Next Page »

Images of Old Hawaiʻi

People, places, and events in Hawaiʻi’s past come alive through text and media in “Images of Old Hawaiʻi.” These posts are informal historic summaries presented for personal, non-commercial, and educational purposes.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Connect with Us

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent Posts

  • Eleanora and Fair American
  • Hawaiian Acres
  • Carlotta
  • Mea ‘Ono Pua‘a
  • Kaukahoku
  • Alsoberry Kaumualiʻi Hanchett
  • Evelaina

Categories

  • American Revolution
  • General
  • Ali'i / Chiefs / Governance
  • Buildings
  • Missionaries / Churches / Religious Buildings
  • Hawaiian Traditions
  • Military
  • Place Names
  • Prominent People
  • Schools
  • Sailing, Shipping & Shipwrecks
  • Economy
  • Voyage of the Thaddeus
  • Mayflower Summaries

Tags

Albatross Al Capone Ane Keohokalole Archibald Campbell Bernice Pauahi Bishop Charles Reed Bishop Downtown Honolulu Eruption Founder's Day George Patton Great Wall of Kuakini Green Sea Turtle Hawaii Hawaii Island Hermes Hilo Holoikauaua Honolulu Isaac Davis James Robinson Kamae Kamaeokalani Kameeiamoku Kamehameha Schools Lalani Village Lava Flow Lelia Byrd Liberty Ship Liliuokalani Mao Math Mauna Loa Midway Monk Seal Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Oahu Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument Pearl Pualani Mossman Quartette Thomas Jaggar Volcano Waikiki Wake Wisdom

Hoʻokuleana LLC

Hoʻokuleana LLC is a Planning and Consulting firm assisting property owners with Land Use Planning efforts, including Environmental Review, Entitlement Process, Permitting, Community Outreach, etc. We are uniquely positioned to assist you in a variety of needs.

Info@Hookuleana.com

Copyright © 2012-2024 Peter T Young, Hoʻokuleana LLC

 

Loading Comments...