In 1872, the small island off Iwilei in Honolulu Harbor – “Kamokuʻākulikuli” – became the site of a quarantine station used to handle the influx of immigrant laborers drawn to the islands’ developing sugar plantations. Quarantine Island (what is now referred to as Sand Island) became the largest US quarantine station of the period, accommodating 2,255-individuals. This facility included two hospitals and a crematorium.
One of its residents was Dr William Francis James. James was a graduate physician and surgeon. His duty as Acting Assistant Surgeon required him to board vessels wanting to enter the port of Honolulu and examine their passengers and crew and ascertain if there are any diseases there among that would prevent the vessel from entering the port. His services went beyond medicine … “Plunging into waters infested with sharks, Acting Assistant Surgeon WF James, of the public health service, stationed at Honolulu, rescued a Japanese woman from drowning on September 23 (1912.)” He died May 23, 1944 in Honolulu.