Facility (or building) numbers on military bases are generally assigned during the building planning process. It’s not like an address; the numbers are typically assigned chronologically to buildings as they are built on the base, location doesn’t determine the number.
Facility 161 is located at Pearl Harbor and is classified as a Recreation and Morale facility. It was originally comprised of three main components that were all classified as permanent uses.
It is a uniquely designed building, a sunken amphitheater with recreation facilities in an attached section (originally a portion of which was open-air) that is flanked by two elongated wings. This design utilizes natural ventilation and lighting. There is no other facility in Hawai‘i that shares this same design.
It included the arena, a recreation building (two bowling alley wings topped by a smaller second floor billiard and game room), and a dance floor. The second floor of the recreation building is the only portion of the complex constructed of wood. (Mason; Navy)
The octagonal arena is joined to a long, narrow rectangular structure that was home to two bowling alleys and was connected to an open-sided, nearly circular dance hall.
Although the period of the 1930s saw decreasing expenditures for recreation services for the Pacific fleet, during the final years of that decade “the growth of service and civilian personnel led to the realization that more recreation facilities were needed on base.” (HABS)
Prior to World War II, because Pearl Harbor was still a relatively small naval establishment, minimal funding was allocated for recreational facilities. Personnel were expected to use civilian recreational facilities as well as those at Pearl Harbor.
As late as 1938 the only recreation center at the Navy Yard was a YMCA that showed movies and offered classes to enlisted personnel.
Because of the pre-WW II build-up of permanent facilities at Pearl Harbor, as well as visiting ships bringing large numbers of sailors who needed recreational facilities rather than accommodations, Facility 161 was intended for use by both groups.
After the US entered the war, recreation was recognized as a vital outlet for Navy personnel. The purpose of recreation programs and facilities was to “contribute in some way towards maintaining the fighting spirit of the officers and men who man the ships of the Pacific Fleet.”
Once the war ended, multitudes of men waiting to be discharged relied on recreational facilities to pass their free hours.
According to the original seating plan, there were 6,000 seats for boxing events – 5,000 seats in the bleachers and 1,000 seats ring side (on the main floor.)
The boxing ring was assembled in the center of the main floor, surrounded by seating. Seating was listed as 4,000 for motion pictures – 3,000 in the bleachers and 1,000 in the reserved area on the main floor.
It was the ‘largest single expenditure [$175,000]’ in the 1940 housing and recreation center expansion project of 1940. Other facilities at the time included Hale Moku and Makalapa housing, and Richardson Recreation Center on the Aiea waterfront.
Construction on the project began in October 1940 and the facility was completed in August 1941. (HABS) In 1948, ʻōhiʻa flooring was installed in the arena.
Facility 161’s bowling alleys have been replaced with miscellaneous functions including small offices, and the original dance floor has been enclosed and significantly altered.
The facility is commonly called Bloch Arena, named for Claude Charles Bloch; he was born on July 13, 1878 in Woodbury, Kentucky, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1899 and commissioned in 1901.
He became Admiral in January 1937 and was Commander of Battle Force 1937-1938, Commander in Chief of US Fleet 1938-1940 and Commandant of Eleventh Naval District 1940-1942.
He retired in August 1942 and was recalled to active duty on the General Board in World War II; his decorations included the Navy Cross. Bloch died on October 4, 1967.
On March 25, 1961 Elvis performed a benefit concert at Bloch Arena as a fundraiser to build the Arizona Memorial. That event raised $54,678.73, more than ten percent of the $515,728 cost of constructing the memorial.
Appearing along with Elvis were; Minnie Pearl, The Jordanaires, and DJ Fontana and Scotty Moore, two members of Elvis’ original backing band. Sterling Mossman, a local Hawaiian comedian, also served as master of ceremonies and performed.
The event was the times “biggest single gate in the history of show business in Hawaii.” Bloch Arena has been venue to a number of other events and activities.