Honolulu’s first neon sign flickered to life on February 19, 1929, with the opening of Gump’s Waikiki, an antiques and home furnishing store. The third oldest structure in Waikiki, Gump’s was one of the first retail shops in Waikiki. S & G Gump was founded in San Francisco in 1861 as a mirror and frame shop by Solomon Gump and his brother, Gustav. Gump’s and The City had become intertwined – the store synonymous with San Francisco in its elegance, worldly style and maverick spirit.
Back in the Islands, as tourism began to develop in the 1920s and 30s, people saw commercial possibilities for Waikiki. One of the most endearing was the Honolulu branch of S&G Gump Company of San Francisco. The store opened in 1929, across the street from the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Later, the Gump building in Waikīkī was converted into a McDonald’s restaurant (in the 1970s or 1980s;) it was sold in 1991 to a corporate affiliate of high-end retailer Louis Vuitton Malletier of Paris, refurbished and, in 1992, rededicated to retail.