On August 1, 1916, President Woodrow Wilson signed the country’s 13th national park into existence – Hawaiʻi National Park (Kilauea and Mauna Loa;) eventually, Kilauea Caldera was added to the park. On-the-ground administration of the park began with the arrival of Superintendent Thomas R Boles in April 1922.
A military landing field called Sand Spit Horst was located just south of Halemaʻumaʻu crater. It was referred to as Kīlauea Airfield. In 1925, a new Army field was under construction on the bluff between Uwekahuna and Kilauea Military Camp (it was named for Boles.) By 1945, the airfield was determined incompatible with NPS policy.