Over the course of a little over 40-years (1820-1863 – the “Missionary Period”,) about 180-men and women in twelve Companies served in Hawaiʻi to carry out the mission of the ABCFM in the Hawaiian Islands. However, the education of their children was a concern of missionaries.
Founded in 1841, on July 11, 1842, fifteen children met for the first time in Punahou’s original E-shaped building. By the end of that first year, 34-children from Sandwich Islands and Oregon missions were enrolled, only one over 12-years old. By 1851, Punahou officially opened its doors to all races and religions.