BF (Frank) Dillingham’s OR&L company, created in 1889, changed the landscape of west Honolulu. In the beginning, since there were as yet no real destinations along the line, Dillingham he created the concept of picnicking along Pearl Harbor and within days of the line’s opening began marketing excursions.
He held a contest that gave to Mānana the new name ‘Pearl City,’ and on its main thoroughfare, Lehua Road, he promoted a dance pavilion named Remond Grove (the large dancing pavilion had a capacity for 1,000 people.) It was built for the use of picnickers and dancing parties by the railroad company. It is seventy feet square, open on all sides, and a well-kept lawn, with a playing fountain in front, and provided with swings, croquet games, etc.