Kilauea Plantation began in 1877 with the planting and purchasing of mill equipment. Plantation life throughout the islands was centered on a landscape of buildings that reflected the system of tight control over workers and production. Typically, beyond the fields and mill, there was a plantation store, housing, medical, recreational facilities for the workers.
Lung Wah Chee was among the first group of Chinese immigrants that arrived on Kauai in 1876 to work for the Kilauea Sugar. In the 1890s, Lung Wan Chee (aka LC Achee) operated a general merchandise store on the site of the Parish Hall (Japanese Language School) in Kilauea. In 1902, Kilauea Sugar decided to get out of the retail business and rented Chee their building. In 1941 and later Kong Lung Store contained general merchandise, a barbershop, butcher shop, and post office; it was the only store in Kilauea at that time.