Attending Queen Victoria’s Jubilee celebration, 1887, in London, Queen Kapiʻolani made many visits to hospitals and foundling homes and returned to Hawaiʻi with much enthusiasm and exciting plans for her hospital. She wanted to establish a hospital for underprivileged Hawaiian women to have the best care for mothers and babies. “The Kapiʻolani Maternity Home, corner of Beretania and Makiki Sts, was opened to the public on Saturday afternoon (June 14, 1890) their Majesties the King and Queen drove up to the home punctually at 3 o’clock”.
“There are five bedrooms … They all looked cosy and neat.” It started in the former residence of Princess Kekaulike, then moved into an adjacent building (former home of August Dreier,) a more spacious 2-story structure. By the early-1920s, the Home’s sights were set on the creation of a medical facility with physicians on staff. Rather than compete with other medical institutions (Queen’s, Kuakini, Tripler, St Francis, etc,) in general care, it moved its location, again, and from Home to Hospital status, and changed its name to Kapiʻolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital in 1931.