Theophilus Harris Davies and Alexander Young started the Waiākea Mill Company in 1879. It was “Situated one mile from Hilo in a southerly direction are the vast fields of sugar cane and mill of the Waiākea Mill Company which controls 95,000 acres of land … It is a 9-roller mill and fitted with every appliance for the successful reduction of the product of the plantation.”
The Mill was located at the back (most mauka side) of Waiākea Pond, part of what we now refer to as the Wailoa Pond and River. They would barge bagged sugar here from the headwaters through the pond to Hilo Bay. The land was under lease; as leases expired, they implemented the Waiākea ‘experiment,’ some homestead and houselots were created on Waiākea cane land.