“At the regular meeting of the Prudential Committee, held at the Missionary Rooms, on Tuesday afternoon, May 27, 1834, it was: ‘Resolved that Mr. Edwin O. Hall of the city of New York be appointed an assistant missionary of the Board and designated to the Sandwich Islands, to be employed as a printer in connection with that mission.’”
“‘Resolved that Miss Williams, of the city of New York be appointed an assistant missionary of the Board, with the expectation of her being united in marriage with Mr. Edwin O. Hall, this day appointed to the Sandwich Island mission.’”
“Embarking December 5, 1834, on the ship Hellespont with six other missionaries (Rev. Titus Coan and wife; Henry Dimond and wife. Bookbinder; Miss Lydia Brown. Teacher.; Miss Elizabeth M. Hitchcock. Teacher) comprising the sixth reinforcement (Seventh Company) to the mission, after a voyage of six months, Mr. Hall and his bride reached Honolulu, June 6, 1835.’”
“He at once took charge of the printing office in Honolulu, relieving Mr. Rogers, who was transferred to the branch printing office at the High School at Lahainaluna, Maui. Mrs. Hall’s health failed after a year or two, as she became afflicted with a serious spinal trouble, which prevented her from walking and kept her confined all day on her couch.” (Ballou)
Levi Chamberlain wrote to Rufus Anderson that, “The health of several of the missionaries is in a deranged state … Mrs Hall continues ill and a voyage to the NW Coast is recommended in her case … hoping that the cold of that region will restore (her)”. (Chamberlain)
The Halls arrived in the Oregon Country in 1839. On April 19, 1839, Hiram Bingham, head of the Hawaiʻi mission wrote, “The church & congregation of which I am pastor has recently sent a small but complete printing and binding establishment …”
“… by the hand of Brother Hall, to the Oregon mission, which with other substantial supplies amount to 444,00 doll. The press was a small Hand press presented to this mission but not in use. The expense of the press with one small font of type, was defrayed by about 50 native females …”
“… including Kina‘u or Ka‘ahumanu 2d. This was a very pleasing act of Charity. She gave 10 doll, for herself & 4 for her little daughter Victoria Ka‘ahumanu 3d.” (This is not the same press that Bingham brought on their initial voyage to Hawaiʻi.) Mr. Hall helped set up the press at the Lapwai mission station.
Mrs. Hall suffered from a chronic illness of the spine. To reach various inland destinations she traveled by canoe when possible. She was carried in a hammock from Ft. Walla Walla to Waiilatpu. On November 5, 1839, she gave birth to a daughter. The Halls returned to Hawaii in March 1840. (Whitman Mission)
In 1843, at the time when Admiral Thomas restored the Kingdom, Hall wrote lyrics (sung to the tune of ‘God Save the King’) honoring the Hawaiian Kingdom: Hail! to our rightful king!; We joyful honor bring; This day to thee!; Long live your Majesty!; Long reign this dynasty!; And for posterity; The sceptre be.
It was “Sung at the great cold water luau (‘temperance picnic’) given by H.H.M. Kamehameha III, in Nu‘uanu to several thousands of natives and all the Foreigners including the officers of 4 ships of war. For which Admiral Thomas thanked the ladies and gent who did him the honor.” (August 3, 1843)
EO Hall left the mission in 1849 and on May 19 of that year was appointed director of the Government Printing Office (GPO); his responsibilities included printing The Polynesian, the GPO printed all of Hawaii’s statutes and other official documents. (He left this position on May 19, 1855.) (LOC)
The business of EO Hall & Son, Limited, was commenced in 1852, under the firm name of EO Hall, at the corner of Fort and King streets, Honolulu. For over a year after starting, the business was under the personal charge of Mr. TL Leyman, a half-brother to EO Hall, who at that time was editing the Polynesian newspaper.
In these early years, most of the customers were natives, and besides hardware the stock consisted of dry goods of all kinds and quite an assortment of groceries.
In 1859, William W Hall entered the employ of the firm as clerk, and became partner with his father in 1865, when the name of the firm was changed to EO Hall & Son.
The firm continued to deal in hardware, agricultural Implements, dry goods, leather, paints and oils, sliver-plated ware, wooden ware, tools of all kinds, kerosene oil, etc., until about the year 1878, when dry goods were dropped, except a few staple articles.
In 1880, Mr E Oscar White, a grandson of EO Hall, became an employee of the firm. In 1883 the business was incorporated, and during that same year Edwin Oscar Hall, the founder of the business, died (September 19, 1883) while on a visit to the US at Falmouth, Maine.
The company later put in stock a complete line of ship chandlery, and this has become one of the principal features of the business. This includes a large assortment of manila rope and iron and steel wire rope of all sizes up to four Inches. (Alexander)