Discussions and negotiations to allow the missionaries to stay went on for days. On April 10, 1820, “All the brethren went on shore to make one more united effort to obtain what appeared to all to be truly desirable.”
They sought and received assistance from some of the other foreigners. But, “Before anything decisive could be done, two youths presented themselves on the common near the King’s house, prepared, for a public dance. This drew the attention of all, and probably nearly 2000 people were soon collected”.
“The dancers were fantastically dressed in the manufacture of the country, having on their heads and wrists a small wreath, around the waist a large quantity of spreading tapa, and on the leg a cumbersome kind of gaitar, thickly set with dog’s teeth which rattled together at every step, and answered in time to the musick.”
“After many inquiries with respect to our designs and to the number of arts which we were able to teach, they seemed to be satisfied that our intentions were good, and that we might be of some service to them.”
“To obviate what had seemed to be an objection, the fear of displeasing G. Britain, they concluded that Mr. Young should write to England to inform the people that American missionaries had come to settle here, not to do any harm but to teach the people of these Islands all good things.”
“They added that we must not send for any more missionaries, from fear that we might be burdensome or dangerous to the government. When we had finished our propositions and made all the statements which we thought proper, we left them to have a general consultation tonight, and to give us their result tomorrow. We believe ‘the Lord is on our side’ and that our wishes will be gratified.” (Thaddeus Journal)
Then, the decision was made …
April 11, 1820
April 11 Brother Bingham being somewhat exhausted with the long continued negotiations and seriously indisposed today; brother Thurston and Dr. H went on shore to hear the result. A result highly creditable to the government and satisfactory to us, and we believe honorable to the great Lord of missions, and we thank God and take courage. Our joy is mingled however with the painful thought of so speedy a separation.
The decision of the government is, that two of the brethren with their wives, and two of the native youths should remain here and be furnished at the public expense with lodgings, water and fuel, and with fresh provisions end allowed to commence their work with the promise of protection; – and that the rest of our number should be allowed to proceed, to Woahoo and there be accommodated with convenient houses. The government were told that if we did not do them good they might send us all away. As it is the pleasure of the King that the Dr. should remain, with Thos. Hopoo and Wm Tennooe, it was easily agreed on among ourselves and settled thus far. It was also easily agreed that one of the ordained missionaries should be designated to remain. The question, which of the two was decided by ballot and brother Thurston was appointed to occupy this important post, to our mutual satisfaction. (Thaddeus Journal)
April 11 1820 – Still on board the Thaddeus. It is now the thirteenth day since we made the land. There is not the least hostility on the part of the natives; on the contrary, all appear friendly. It is difficult to say why we are so delayed. Among obstacles in the way of dispatch, may be reckoned their great indolence and total disregard of the worth of time.
1 o’clock. The important decision is made. We are to proceed to Hoahoo to make the principal establishment, leaving two of our brethren and sisters in this place.
The separation is painful.—If nature might be allowed to speak, we should say our dear brother and sister Thurston we must have with us. She is a lovely sister. But the Lord’s will be done. We hope we are enabled to say if from the heart. Our physician is the other to be left. Do not be alarmed, dear sisters, GOD will be our physician. The king insists upon his remaining on account of his art. As much as we may need that, some of the female part of our little band especially, yet, all things considered, I believe we are all disposed to view a kind providence in the present arrangement. (Sybil Bingham)
(Lucia Holman noted this as Saturday. 8th.) The King gives orders that Dr. H. and our teacher must land at Kiarooah – the village where he now resides, and the rest of the family may go to Oahhoo, or Wahhoo. We plead earnestly that we might all go to Oahhoo, at least to do our washing and become a little familiarized to the country before we separated – not knowing how a family could live upon a rock of Laver, without wood or water, with six months washing on hand. Our entreaties however were unavailing. The King and Chiefs said that everybody liked Oahhoo better than Ohyhee, and if we all went there we should not come back again. Besides, he wanted the Dr. to stay with them, as they had no Physician and appeared much pleased that one had come; as to pulla-pulla (learning), they knew nothing about it. Consequently it was agreed that Dr. H. & Mr. Thurston should stay with the King and the rest of the family go to Oahhoo. (Lucia Ruggles Holman)
April 11. The King has given permission for some of the mission family to stay here and the rest to go to the island of Woahoo. It is his request that the Physician, with two of the native youths should stay here and brother Thurston is appointed to stay with them. It is indeed trying to be separated from our dear brethren and sisters & especially from our Physician. But it seems to be the will of God and we ought cheerfully to submit, if in so doing we may be more useful. Woahoo is said to be more fertile than Owhyhee; especially than this part where the King resides. Our family can be much better accommodated there, then here. It is likewise the place where American vessels generally stopped & by being there, we probably shall have more frequent opportunities of conveyance to our friends. (Mercy Partridge Whitney Journal)
Kirooah bay, April 11, 1820. Voted that it is expedient that a part of our mission reside at this place. Voted that Rev. Mr. Thurston and Dr. Holman with their wives and Thomas Hopoo, and William Tennooe be left at this place. (Minutes of the Prudential Meetings of the Mission Family)
(While the initial decision that they “must not send for any more missionaries”, we learn latter, once the missionaries had started working with and teaching the Hawaiians, the Ali‘i asked, “Here is our hope for the improvement of the lands here in Hawaii. Give us more instructors like those you have in your land, America. …”)
(“If you agree and send these teachers, we will protect them when they arrive, provide the necessities to make their professions viable and give our support to these needed endeavors.”) (Letter in the Ali‘i Letters Collection: https://hmha.missionhouses.org/collections/show/178)